Is my BVM toast?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

Is my BVM toast?

Post by scrilla4rella »

I posted something similar on r/crtgaming but thought I'd run it by the fine folks here in the hardware section.

My Sony BVM 1910 recently started displaying rolling green lines. It seems that the only color displayed is now green and the image is not steady. I've included a link to some pics and a video of the issue. It's an older model... my guess is that this is a pretty serious issue without an easy fix.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8zGn1HVCBv1vi3xQ8

What do you guys think? I don't have a whole lot of time, space, or skills to, for example, recap the boards. I'm considering just letting it go and sticking with my PVM 2530 but I would love to hold onto the 1910 if there's a chance that I'll be able to get it working again.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
philexile

Re: Is my BVM toast?

Post by philexile »

Hi,

It could be caps, but it could also be a cathode short. Even with pictures, it’s tough to say.

While that BVM is older, it is a great 900 TV line monitor. I would recommend taking it down to Pat (SavonPat) in Huntington Beach. He has the equipment and knowhow to diagnose and possibly repair the problem — even if it is a short.

These monitors are scarce, try to save it if you can and have the means.

Good luck
digitron

Post by digitron »

Does it do it when you display the OSD menu too? I'm assuming it does it on all inputs?

Any difference when you hit external sync?
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Thanks for looking at the pics and for the replies.
philexile wrote: It could be caps, but it could also be a cathode short. Even with pictures, it’s tough to say.

While that BVM is older, it is a great 900 TV line monitor. I would recommend taking it down to Pat (SavonPat) in Huntington Beach. He has the equipment and knowhow to diagnose and possibly repair the problem — even if it is a short.
Do you have Pat's email? I sent him a message to what I thought was his email address but haven't gotten a response. It could be an old address. I guess I should just give the number listed on his ebay store a call.
digitron wrote:Does it do it when you display the OSD menu too? I'm assuming it does it on all inputs?

Any difference when you hit external sync?
I'll have to test this again but I believe that the external sync didn't make a difference.

I don't believe the 1910 can display a menu (I could be wrong though). All of the adjustments are handled by pots in a pull out tray.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Looks like external sync is turned off to me.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

I dunno about that, he brings up a stable image in the video. It's a purplish white grid under the green, so that would mean the other colours are present and that the sync is fine. The behaviour almost looks like what happens when you turn the screen voltage up too high with the knob on the flyback of a regular set, but it's only in green, and it's flickering.

http://neohyphengeo.com/BVM2010.pdf

That's the service manual. Page 173 shows the neckboard layout (C board) and page 175 shows the schematic. Blow me it's all hand-drawn, with archaic names for the bits i can actually identify. I would guess that the fault is in the G1-G or KG feedback, or with the power to the grids G2 and G4 themselves. Which is pretty much like saying go check half the set, sorry. I guess first I'd check the components behind G2 on the C board and the PA board looking for a shorted resistor because those solid-carbons Sony used around this time can go bad pretty easily.

I'd be very keen to hear what the problem actually is, if you can get Savonpat or someone else to diagnose it!
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hi again,

Just give Pat a call. He is on the West Coast, so be sure not to call too early, anytime after 10:30am should be fine.

The 1910 doesn’t display any onscreen menus, that feature was added to the 1911 I think.

The service manual that was linked is for the 2010, which I think is the PAL version of this monitor. I wouldn’t rely on that and still suggest taking it to Pat. He will be able to figure out what’s going on and if it’s worth fixing.

Good luck
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Thanks for all of the help. I'll def update this thread if i'm able to resolve the issue
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

philexile wrote:Hi again,
The service manual that was linked is for the 2010, which I think is the PAL version of this monitor. I wouldn’t rely on that and still suggest taking it to Pat. He will be able to figure out what’s going on and if it’s worth fixing.
Identical bar the fuses, IIRC. And whichever inputs cards are present, of course. But seeing what Pat can do is a good idea.
fredohenriquez

Post by fredohenriquez »

Hi guys,

Im having issues with one of my BVMs 1910, this one blown out a fuse when I turned it on.
What problem could it be? The image and everything was fine before that. No power surges (I tried to change the fuse and same problem).

Is there anyone that can check the power supply and the internal cards for me? (changing the capacitors and overall checks).
I can send the parts thru mail internationally.

Anyone? :wink: