Rewiring power cord for CRT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thetallguy24

Rewiring power cord for CRT

Post by thetallguy24 »

Ok, so I run retro tournaments around the country. I have 60 or so CRTs, I take with me. One of the biggest nuisances is the cord tripping up and getting in the way.

My plan to fix this has been to cut the cord and put adapters on each end with the end running out of the TV attached to shell. Essentially, turning these TVs into monitors with detachable power cords.

The only issue is that these are 2-prong and finding an alternative to male/female replacement plugs for 18AWG 120V is difficult.

Traditional replacment male/female 2 prong plugs are fairly expensive ($4-5 total per TV), so I'm not keen on spending $240-$300 on this type of project.

Are there any 2-pin quick disconnect or Molex adapters that would be just as good and more of an affordable option?
Syntax

Re: Rewiring power cord for CRT

Post by Syntax »

Try wrapping the cables up and use extension leads?
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Syntax wrote:Try wrapping the cables up and use extension leads?
Pretty sure that would cost about the same or even more
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Are there comparable 3-prong cables available? If so, why not upgrade the wiring? I'm sure the only additional step you'd need to do is to solder/attach the ground lead to the chassis.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

nmalinoski wrote:Are there comparable 3-prong cables available? If so, why not upgrade the wiring? I'm sure the only additional step you'd need to do is to solder/attach the ground lead to the chassis.
I wasn't really planning on opening up the shell. More like plastic welding the short end to the TV
gray117

Post by gray117 »

This is tripping when i) moving the monitors about because the power dangles? ii) Not when they're just sitting plugged in?

i)
2x velcro cable ties going up back/side of monitor either (resin) glued or screwed in. All power cables get a quick coil and strap in when moving.

Because it's going to be a similar annoyance with 60 odd loose cables you'll end up with having anyway otherwise - even after all your work rewiring you'll still need to tidy away the loose cables otherwise it's jumble cable hell. Not to mention if you've still got a bit of flex coming out the back, it's probably still long enough to get stuck under the tv (or the one next to it) when stacking/moving them etc.

ii)
Otherwise yeah extension cords/pdus that you can even screw in, plenty of slack, and minimise any cable runs along floor.

One's cheap, the other not so :) And yeah can't help thinking you'll still have 60 odd cords to untangle/tie up one way or another...
strayan

Post by strayan »

Forget Velcro, these things will be your saviour http://www.cableclamp.com/
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I don't have suggestions to contribute but I'm guessing that you run tournaments for Melee, so I just wanted to say thank you for doing such an important job in keeping that sick game going! :D

If it's for something else then I'd be very curious what it is though.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

fernan1234 wrote:I don't have suggestions to contribute but I'm guessing that you run tournaments for Melee, so I just wanted to say thank you for doing such an important job in keeping that sick game going! :D

If it's for something else then I'd be very curious what it is though.
Nope never run a Melee tourney lol

My company is called the Retro World Series. We basically do all other retro tourneys besides Melee
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

lol Well any competitive community that prefers to run their games on a CRT is still cool in my book
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

You could probably use these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5X-Univ ... 26160.html

They are the same gauge as most two prong appliance power cords. Snip each one in half. Cut the cord coming out of the television leaving just a short length sticking out, then splice either end of of these onto the TV and the remaining power cord, respecting polarity obviously. That's about $2.55 per set you'd want to mod, and probably as cheap and easy as it's going to get for you.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Bratwurst wrote:You could probably use these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5X-Univ ... 26160.html

They are the same gauge as most two prong appliance power cords. Snip each one in half. Cut the cord coming out of the television leaving just a short length sticking out, then splice either end of of these onto the TV and the remaining power cord, respecting polarity obviously. That's about $2.55 per set you'd want to mod, and probably as cheap and easy as it's going to get for you.
Except the exposed end running to the power strip would be live, correct? Similar to a suicide cable.

I was thinking these would work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCV97AY?re ... pLink&th=1

Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

thetallguy24 wrote:
Except the exposed end running to the power strip would be live, correct? Similar to a suicide cable.
Could wire the exposed end to neutral. Still some element of danger, but you never clarified if the issue of tripping were participants stepping over the cords or just moving/storing the televisions. Either way, unplug the cord from the outlet first.

The threaded connections you linked to would certainly work and are also 18awg.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If you are going to hack up the power connection, I suggest just mounting IEC 60320 connectors to the backside of the TV.

thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:If you are going to hack up the power connection, I suggest just mounting IEC 60320 connectors to the backside of the TV.
Yeah, but then I have to buy all new cables (or connectors) + the mounts, so that adds to the cost. I have to find a 2 prong version of that anyways
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thetallguy24 wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:If you are going to hack up the power connection, I suggest just mounting IEC 60320 connectors to the backside of the TV.
Yeah, but then I have to buy all new cables (or connectors) + the mounts, so that adds to the cost. I have to find a 2 prong version of that anyways
Two prong versions exist; I know they were used for the Xbox 360 power bricks. I would still recommend that, if you decide to move to that style of connector, just go with the three-prong and wire ground to the chassis. Yes, it's more work; yes, it adds to the cost, but those cables are cheap and everywhere, and grounding the chassis makes everything safer.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

To do this safely I think you are going to have to spend at least $5 per TV. Most quick disconnects that you see are rated for low voltages, and high voltage options tend to be pricey. If I were doing this, I would mount IEC C7 type receptacles into the body of each TV then buy a bunch of power leads at a thrift store or something.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Arthrimus wrote:To do this safely I think you are going to have to spend at least $5 per TV. Most quick disconnects that you see are rated for low voltages, and high voltage options tend to be pricey. If I were doing this, I would mount IEC C7 type receptacles into the body of each TV then buy a bunch of power leads at a thrift store or something.
I agree 100% with this. Cutting the cords and putting QD is going to be expensive to do safely, and ultimately still a half added solution
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Arthrimus wrote:To do this safely I think you are going to have to spend at least $5 per TV. Most quick disconnects that you see are rated for low voltages, and high voltage options tend to be pricey. If I were doing this, I would mount IEC C7 type receptacles into the body of each TV then buy a bunch of power leads at a thrift store or something.
I ordered the ones I linked too. They're 18 AWG just like the TV cords and rated for 500V so we'll see how they do. I'll install them with solder seal heat shrink tubing and plastic weld them to the TVs so we'll see this weekend how it does
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

18 down with no issues so far