Crashing(?) white PC Engine.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
relo999

Crashing(?) white PC Engine.

Post by relo999 »

I recently got a Super System 3, that seemed to work great up until I used for an extended period of time (+-30~60 minutes) after which it outright crashed the game or rebooted the game being played out of no where. This didn't happen with my everdrive before.

Went to the Terraonion forums to get technical support as it seemed to be a problem with the Super system 3. And was told either the PSU is going bad or the system, and tried a different PSU only to blow the fuse. (both where megadrive model 1 PSU's)

So I thought, based on what I was told, that the system is going bad and so and replaced all caps, installed a fuse holder and a new fuse, removed the old RGB mod I did ages ago and replaced the 7805. Which is how I got to my current problem, it crashes to a black screen after a minute or 2 of use.
To be more specific, on turning it one it get a screen that for a few seconds is a bit whobbley on sync (on my CM8833, fine on my LCD but probably a load more filtering happening there). After a few seconds I get a stable image. And after about 2-ish minutes it seems to completely lose sync for a second and after get a black screen.
Once that has happened I only get a black screen when I turn it on again for about +-1 hour. After which the cycle can be gone through again.

After seeing that I check all soldered connections both visually and with a multimeter, and everything seems to be fine. I also redone the RGB mod to isolate the console from the Super System 3, but still the same issue.

What could be the issue and how can I fix this?
Syntax

Re: Crashing(?) white PC Engine.

Post by Syntax »

Turn off the experimental in game reset feature.
relo999

Post by relo999 »

I see no such option in the menu.

That said I seemed to have fixed the whole "black out/weird sync" issue by giving it a good clean, so probably a short somewhere due to flux/dust. But I'm back now at the old issue of random reboots and crashes. Which happens more frequently now, though that might be because I didn't solder the screw to the heatsink to the board (otherwise it near impossible to replace) and the heatsink getting so hot you can cool an egg on it. Which I assume is at least in part because of the PSU I use now giving 14.5V instead of the advertised 10V.

During testing the PSU that broke the fuse earlier killed yet another fuse so I'm not using that PSU anymore. And I've ordered a regulated 9V PSU which would at least half the heat output on the voltage in on the 7805.

(if that 9V PSU fixes the issue I want to replace the 7805 with some other part, no clue about a good 7805 replacement though)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

If you can not find the option you are not looking very hard.

Direct quote from the SSDS3 forums with a quick google search.

"In the options menu of the SSDS3 there is an option called "In Game Trigger" that does that. HOWEVER it should be considered experimental as it doesn't work with every game and some game crash/buggy when it's enabled."
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I think In Game Trigger is off by default so if it's on and that's the problem TC should know where to find it.
relo999

Post by relo999 »

In Game trigger is indeed off.