shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Sega ST-V exploded today....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:49 pm 

So, I've been itching to try out Trap13's Guardian Force delag patch. I had the ROM written by BuyICnow.com,
I sent them the rom, they confirmed the chip type was correct, and double verified the write as usual.
Installed it in my Guardian Force cart, turned on the mobo, and 5 seconds later BOOM!

Confused as hell, I took a closer look at the back of my Guardian Force cart and found that one of the
patch rom socket pins, had never been soldered!

For comparison, I opened up my Cotton 2 cart, and it looks like I would expect it too.

PICS: https://imgur.com/a/HE0FE6y

Now, I know jack about electronics, but my first guess is that the hole caused a short resulting in the boom.
Only a theory though. Both carts and mobo were purchased directly by me from Mak Japan over 10 years ago,
and never had an issue before.

So, if I replace the blown part (tantalum cap?) would it be safe to try another boot? I don't see any other damage.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sega ST-V exploded today....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:13 pm 

That pin should definitely be soldered, although I don't know whether it could cause the explosion.
Has this tantalum cap replaced an electrolytic one? The footprint possibly suggests that there used to be an electrolytic cap there.

Edit: on second thought this looks like a through-hole ceramic cap. In any case, remove it and make sure the contacts aren't shorted. If they aren't, replace it with a good quality capacitor of the same value and make sure the voltage rating is correct for this board. And solder the loose pin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

As far as I know, it's totally stock. Pics of other mobos online all look the same.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 pm 

Yes you're right, other motherboards look the same.
I still would try checking for a short after removing, and replacing the capacitor. Can't find any info on the internet about what value C62 might be though.

Offline Profile