What kind of TV do you need to run shooters in tate mode ??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kennyrh

What kind of TV do you need to run shooters in tate mode ??

Post by kennyrh »

I tried turning my portable sideways to run Raiden II on PSX once and I was told that it would knacker the telly.

So . . .what kind of setup do you need to run console games safely in Tate mode ??
Shoot, dodge, collect . . .it's the ONLY way to be !!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

An arcade monitor.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Reasonably safe: one that can be rotated without hurting yourself and one that's not turned on.

Completely safe: none
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Before I dedicated an old amiga-monitor to tate use, I used to flip my TV over for few years. The only thing that happened to it is that speaker on the left side started sounding a bit muffeled over time.

It really depends on the TV and how it's built. You can seriously damage it from just one time, or you might get years of tate-fun from it. Getting a cheap monitor or TV to keep flipped over might be a wise choice.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

I bought this as a dedicated tate effort;

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/167_239194.html

No probs in about 4 months of gaming and it's RGB and all that stuff
kennyrh

Post by kennyrh »

Okay . . .thanks guys.

I thought there might be some custom-built or tate-dedicated equipment out there somewhere.

A proper vertical display is necessary to enjoy overhead shmups fer sure . . . 8)
Shoot, dodge, collect . . .it's the ONLY way to be !!
SAM

Post by SAM »

Dave_K. wrote:An arcade monitor.
Same advice from me.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I've been tating my TV for 1.5 years now, and it never had any problem. I always flip it when I want to play a shmup, and put it back at "yoko" position when playing a regular game os just watching tv.

I've been doing the same with my PC monitor for more than 3 years without any problem either.
tiktak

Post by tiktak »

Why does the colors changes after tateing? Is it because of screen itself or rather speakers?
PC Engine Fan X!

Pick up an Amiga 1080 monitor for Tate purposes...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

tiktak wrote:Why does the colors changes after tateing? Is it because of screen itself or rather speakers?
I've got an old Commodore Amiga 1080 14" monitor for playing my arcade PCBs on...awesome monitor for playing those Tate'd aspect ratio oriented arcade shmup PCBs. Plus it's got a DB-9 input for pure RGB...trying an 1080 monitor with Psikyo's Strikers 1999 PCB and it's arcade heaven (if a smaller monitor fits well with you). Plan on spending no more than $50 to $60 USD for a used one on eBay. Of course, getting one for free and in excellent condition (like in my case) is even better!

Going with a LCD-type monitor say like the Samsung 17" Widescreen Monitor with built-in TV turner option model no. MV-730WS model does have the cool Japanese RGB 21-pin input...this is the monitors that SCEA (Sony Computer Entainment of America) uses for their PStwo demo kiosks (although using just Component Video inputs rather than Japanese RGB is plain crazy IMO).

I'd have to say that Sony probably struck up some kind of deal to buy as many of the aforementioned Samsung LCD monitors (the MV-730WS version) and gave them a very good discount...they retail for about almost $800.00 USD brand new. The sad thing is that the MV-730WS type of LCD monitors aren't available for purchase in the USA at the moment.
Not even on eBay.com either...damn it!

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

tiktak wrote:Why does the colors changes after tateing? Is it because of screen itself or rather speakers?
The colors change due to the Earth's magnetic pull (and speakers if not shielded) and the fact that the TV CRT is not totally discharged. Most CRT's degauss when first switched on but If a charge is held in the CRT some of the atoms bouncing around inside the vacuum tube go astray causing discoloration.

Its always best to turn the TV for about a minute before turning it on and in some cases you need to unground the power supply by disconnecting the plug.

The only problems i've encountered Tateing are cosmetic screen occurances. I have never had a physical problem with the casing of the TV busting or anything like that. The smaller the tube, the less likely anything will go wrong.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
CIT

Post by CIT »

I bought a TV at a garage sale for about $10 to use for tate play, and did all the recommended tricks, turning off and waiting before setting it up, etc. Anyway, halfway through my session of DDP the screen flickered, and the image was suddenly flipped around 180 degrees. Then the reds started bleeding really badly and one half of the screen got a green-purple hue. I have no clue what went on there, but anyway, it shows that not all TVs are made for this kind of treatment.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

Philips CM8833-II :)

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Seven Force wrote:I bought a TV at a garage sale for about $10 to use for tate play, and did all the recommended tricks, turning off and waiting before setting it up, etc. Anyway, halfway through my session of DDP the screen flickered, and the image was suddenly flipped around 180 degrees. Then the reds started bleeding really badly and one half of the screen got a green-purple hue. I have no clue what went on there, but anyway, it shows that not all TVs are made for this kind of treatment.
TV's are designed with the chassis being strongest at the bottom. The box containers that new TV's are shipped in are labelled "This way up" for a reason.

When you turn a TV on its side a few side effects could happen for the following reasons -

1) The weight is transferred onto the side causing stress on the chassis.

2) Magnetic signals are distorted due to magnetic pull of the Earth and speaker positioning in relation to the tube.

3) If the side of the TV does not have adequate venting holes alot more heat will build up inside the enclosure.

Its always best to use a smaller screen if possible. Less risk because on points 1 2 and 3, you have less of everything to worry about.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.