Marseille mClassic

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
headlesshobbs

Re: Marseille mClassic

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm glad this thread was bumped because I haven't seen anyone do some actual testing and comparisons yet. After seeing that demo for Soulcalibur 3 awhile ago, I was hoping to get more details on how well this makes 480p content look.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

headlesshobbs wrote:I'm glad this thread was bumped because I haven't seen anyone do some actual testing and comparisons yet. After seeing that demo for Soulcalibur 3 awhile ago, I was hoping to get more details on how well this makes 480p content look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NhX9-_KE0
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I see some praise for the color processing in that review. If you want that, the mCable might not be the best option.

If you like the look of the extra "pop" and contrast the mCable shows in the video (at the expense of correct colors), you should look into a DarbeeVision box. Although, not everyone will like the results, the Darbee engine looks miles better than the mCable's processing to my eyes.

Straight away, the DarbeeVision boxes are not smoothing boxes. They don't get rid of jaggies. In fact, the are meant to sharpen the image. Although, at reasonable settings, what you get is more contrast in colors.

Darbee boxes also have options to adjust the strength of the filter to your preference. mCable does not.

The Darbee also doesn't create nasty artifacts at reasonable settings and that includes fake scanlines. So, it's considerably more useful for boosting contrast.

Neogaf if wrong (as usual), Darbee boxes don't introduce any measurable lag within the Time Sleuth's measurement capabilities. At most, it buffers a few scanlines. Don't listen to people at The Temp or Neogaf. :)

In my experience, the Darbee is the only video enhancer worth even a moment of your time.
We apologise for the inconvenience
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

orange808 wrote: If you like the look of the extra "pop" and contrast the mCable shows in the video (at the expense of correct colors), you should look into a DarbeeVision box. Although, not everyone will like the results, the Darbee engine looks miles better than the mCable's processing to my eyes.
https://www.amazon.com/DarbeeVision-DVP ... B018TF4MYC

This?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

djc5166 wrote:
orange808 wrote: If you like the look of the extra "pop" and contrast the mCable shows in the video (at the expense of correct colors), you should look into a DarbeeVision box. Although, not everyone will like the results, the Darbee engine looks miles better than the mCable's processing to my eyes.
https://www.amazon.com/DarbeeVision-DVP ... B018TF4MYC

This?
Yes.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Sargon

Post by Sargon »

I ordered one of these and it should be coming tomorrow.

My only purpose for ordering it was to upscale my Nintendo Switch dock output to 1440p to feed to my monitor. I'm not looking for it to perform any miracles with the Switch output, just fill my screen.
Blair

Post by Blair »

I've done some testing but haven't had a chance to record any good footage. I mainly wanted the mClassic for ps2 games, at first I just hooked it up directly to the OSSC outputting ps2 games at 480p with the normal bob deinterlacing and had some improvement but not much. then I tested out the ps2 480i optimal timings, it looked better but still not what I was looking for. I tried the 480i x4 mode but the mClassic displayed a disstorted half screen, only the 480i/p normal and optimal timings would display. so then I decided to try hooking the OSSC up to a DSC 301 HD, the 301 handles the optimal 480i line 4x mode perfectly. I then set OSSC to upsample 2x mode, then I have 301 downscale the OSSC’s output to 480p, then hook the mClassic into the 301’s output and voila the mClassic is processing out the jaggies on my ps2 games.

Code: Select all

-Video chain-
PS2 => OSSC (optimal 480i 4x, upsample 2x) => DSC 301 HD (input resolution = follow, 480p output) => mClassic (4:3 blue mode) => Display
It's a noticeable improvement, not perfect (can’t get rid of the ps2 shimmering). Adding the 301 to the chain also helps alleviate some of mClassic’s other quirky behavior such as messing with the color grading (301 can compensate) and taking away most of that over sharpening/ringing (as the 301 can use negative sharpening).

If I get some time this month or next I would like to try hooking it up to an XRGB-mini (but only for 480i sources)
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

Blair wrote:I've done some testing but haven't had a chance to record any good footage. I mainly wanted the mClassic for ps2 games, at first I just hooked it up directly to the OSSC outputting ps2 games at 480p with the normal bob deinterlacing and had some improvement but not much. then I tested out the ps2 480i optimal timings, it looked better but still not what I was looking for. I tried the 480i x4 mode but the mClassic displayed a disstorted half screen, only the 480i/p normal and optimal timings would display. so then I decided to try hooking the OSSC up to a DSC 301 HD, the 301 handles the optimal 480i line 4x mode perfectly. I then set OSSC to upsample 2x mode, then I have 301 downscale the OSSC’s output to 480p, then hook the mClassic into the 301’s output and voila the mClassic is processing out the jaggies on my ps2 games.

Code: Select all

-Video chain-
PS2 => OSSC (optimal 480i 4x, upsample 2x) => DSC 301 HD (input resolution = follow, 480p output) => mClassic (4:3 blue mode) => Display
It's a noticeable improvement, not perfect (can’t get rid of the ps2 shimmering). Adding the 301 to the chain also helps alleviate some of mClassic’s other quirky behavior such as messing with the color grading (301 can compensate) and taking away most of that over sharpening/ringing (as the 301 can use negative sharpening).

If I get some time this month or next I would like to try hooking it up to an XRGB-mini (but only for 480i sources)
Wow that's disappointing the mClassic can't accept 960p. I read that the mCable can, why not the mClassic?
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

I still haven't been able to get my mClassic after three weeks after my original order. According to Merseille support, my ebay order placed on June 24th was ignored by their online order software. The following info will show why I have my doubts about that. A week after placing my order, which was guaranteed for delivery by June 29th, I asked why it hadn't yet been updated with tracking info, and they said they will get the tracking number for me. They gave me a tracking number that showed shipped on June 25th and delivered in the completely wrong state on the 29th. It was already July 2nd when I was even able to actually see this tracking number. They later said this was not my tracking number and it was a "mistake."

Then, they say they shipped out a replacement package and give me a second tracking number. That second tracking number still shows "July 6th: package acceptance pending, San Jose." No further tracking info since the 6th. How could they possibly make another mistake with my order after already the first one and understanding I had been waiting for so long? Then, I got lucky enough to see another tracking number coming from Milpitas/San Jose that Merseille never even gave me (now a third new tracking number) show up in my USPS delivery digest, saying it should be delivered on July 10th. On the 12th, the tracking for this third tracking number showed that the package arrived at a sorting facility on the east coast. Both Merseille's shipping origin and I are on the west coast. A package headed to me shouldn't be going through a city thousands of miles away, and seeing that the first tracking number showed delivered in a different state, I was now worried something was going on.

At this point I'm thinking someone is re-directing packages that come from Merseille. Whether it's a guy scanning labels at the San Jose USPS, a Merseille worker, or a shipping partner worker (JIT). I don't know. I've never had this happen to me before and I have been ordering from eBay regularly as of late (with items as high value or more than the mClassic), and no re-directed packages, so I'm 99% sure it wasn't related to any of my accounts getting hacked into, but I changed passwords and added 2A just in case. I wonder if it ties in that Merseille only gives tracking a week after original shipment, as if this has been happening to them with other customers and they think giving the tracking info late is going to help. I do have my suspicions that it is Merseille employees up to something but I can't prove anything. It's just impossible for me to believe that a tech company based in silicon valley has workers making this many mistakes handling customer orders on ebay.

The status now is that it has been over three weeks since my original order and I still don't have an mClassic. I intercepted that third tracking number in order to have it delivered at my local post office, in case it really was about to be delivered on the east coast. This is the first time I have ever seen a package be misdirected by USPS or re-directed by a fraudster. Let alone Merseille giving me two incorrect tracking numbers over a two week time span.
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

TrantaLocked_ wrote:...
It looks like they’re trying to drop ship packages. I had this issue recently on eBay. I bought something and the seller provided a tracking number for a package going nowhere close to my address. Meanwhile, they ordered it on Amazon to be delivered to my address. It was a headache because the Amazon package was never delivered. I only knew it was amazon because they took a screenshot of the delivery photo and it also proved that it wasn’t at my address.

You’re still backed by PayPal so you have time if you want to play the waiting game.
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

dryja123 wrote:
TrantaLocked_ wrote:...
It looks like they’re trying to drop ship packages. I had this issue recently on eBay. I bought something and the seller provided a tracking number for a package going nowhere close to my address. Meanwhile, they ordered it on Amazon to be delivered to my address. It was a headache because the Amazon package was never delivered. I only knew it was amazon because they took a screenshot of the delivery photo and it also proved that it wasn’t at my address.

You’re still backed by PayPal so you have time if you want to play the waiting game.
Why would drop shipping cause this problem? Also, the money isn't an issue because Ebay already ended the case in my favor and gave me a full refund. I still want this package because I feel I deserve compensation for the time and trouble caused by this, and Merseille support has shown they don't want to give proper compensation. I'm afraid Merseille might end up not deciding to ship another package that actually ends up at my door with the case already closed, forcing me to purchase at full price from another seller. That means I end up paying the same amount even after getting screwed over for weeks by Merseille. So I really am hoping for this package to arrive because it's the only way I get any kind of compensation.

I called USPS and they said the package was in a loop going back to the same distribution center over and over again, so they opened a new case for me. They also said my intercept request wouldn't be successful because only the sender can make a successful intercept, even though I've intercepted packages through USPS before so I don't know if that's actually true. I really want to see what the package looks like because I'm curious as to what could be so awful about the label or packaging as to cause the package to go to the other side of the country and then endlessly loop itself.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

It is interesting that you mention this, because I had a similar issue with my Amazon mClassic order. I ordered it and the first one never arrived. A replacement was sent and I got it the second time.
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

Sargon wrote:It is interesting that you mention this, because I had a similar issue with my Amazon mClassic order. I ordered it and the first one never arrived. A replacement was sent and I got it the second time.
How long ago did you order? If this isn't just bad luck but an issue with Marseille's warehouse then wow they really need to do something about this. I wonder if Marseille is just making so much profit they don't even care. However, I think ebay or amazon could ban Marseille if it gets bad enough, not sure.

New update from USPS on my package: the zip code was wrong. What was supposed to be a nine was labeled as a zero, and then someone used a pen to hand draw a nine over the zero. This is laughably bad. I mean what kind of workplace would allow this to happen?
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

TrantaLocked_ wrote:
Sargon wrote:It is interesting that you mention this, because I had a similar issue with my Amazon mClassic order. I ordered it and the first one never arrived. A replacement was sent and I got it the second time.
How long ago did you order? If this isn't just bad luck but an issue with Marseille's warehouse then wow they really need to do something about this. I wonder if Marseille is just making so much profit they don't even care. However, I think ebay or amazon could ban Marseille if it gets bad enough, not sure.

New update from USPS on my package: the zip code was wrong. What was supposed to be a nine was labeled as a zero, and then someone used a pen to hand draw a nine over the zero. This is laughably bad. I mean what kind of workplace would allow this to happen?
My order was back in May. No issues with the replacement package that shipped out the following week, but my initial shipment apparently fell into a black hole.
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

Sargon wrote:
TrantaLocked_ wrote:

My order was back in May. No issues with the replacement package that shipped out the following week, but my initial shipment apparently fell into a black hole.
It's strange because Marseille does fulfillment from amazon's warehouse, so unless they were doing direct shipping for your order and later changed to amazon's warehouse, that could just be an issue with amazon and not Marseille's warehouse.

I have a summary of what I think probably happened to my original order. The original order was allegedly ignored because of a software bug that caused a failure of my ebay order to transfer to the Marseille warehouse. Then, when someone went to make a replacement shipment for me, the first label had the wrong zip code so they printed a second one, which is why I have two separate shipments in my delivery digest but only one with shipping activity. The worker handling the labels meant to use the second label with the correct zip code, but accidentally used the first one and discarded the correct one. Or, both labels had the wrong zip code and the worker just said screw it and drew a nine on the second one because he didn't want to keep making new labels. The reason I say that is because when I try to change delivery instructions on USPS, I get the same error message: "the ZIP Code in your Customer Profile does not match the original destination ZIP Code of your package."

It could also be Marseille is purposely using the wrong zip code to keep people from changing delivery and claiming they never received the package. In that case, they don't know USPS systems can send a package to a distribution center solely based on the first two numbers of the zip code, ignoring the actual street address.

Edit: A couple days ago a USPS rep directly told me on the phone that only the sender can intercept and that my intercept request won't go through. Then the manager at my local post office said the package would just be delivered to my address once it comes back to them and not be intercepted. Then, my original intercept request went through anyway and I was charged $14.65. That first USPS rep lied to my face and I could've prevented this by making extra sure the package wouldn't be intercepted when I had the manager on the line. So for anyone reading, yes, the recipient CAN intercept packages successfully. This makes it twice for me.

Edit 2: Well, the mClassic finally arrived at my door. Initial tests show ok. It doesn't handle 960p correctly and the sharpening is too much for me, so de-sharpening somewhere else in the chain will be something I look to try out. The upscaling quality is quite good and the lag is indeed near zero. More testing to do though. As of now I think it could be a good option depending on your needs, but it does have unnecessary flaws that if fixed would really make it a stand out upscaling option.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Look what's on sale for today's Prime Day.
http://www.amazon.com/Marseille-Network ... B07X6KDQ98
Retrorunner

Post by Retrorunner »

My first post here. :)
As some mclassic owners know the adapter is not fully compatible with the ossc creating artifacts when using 2x line with 480p source and 240p 3x line or higher. I found an easy workaround in these cases (and other). Even using 240p 4x line (NTSC). Here is an example of the displayed artifacts: https://youtu.be/oPzU_oGjFF8?t=560

Here is the workaround to get rid of the artifacts:

Go to "Sampling opt." in the ossc menu.

Go to "Adv. Timing"

Decrease "v.backporch" and increase "V-active" slightly until the artifacts are gone.

I tested this method with Dreamcast, PS2 and PS1 but should work with other consoles:

240p PAL:
----------
3x Line: v.backporch: 12 V-active: 297
4x Line Does not work

240p NTSC:
----------
3x Line: v.backporch: 11 V-active: 250
4x Line: v.backporch: 9 V-active: 250

480p PAL/NTSC:
----------
2x Line: v.backporch: 20 V-active: 298
3x Line: Not tested

480i NTSC:
----------
4x Line: v.backporch: 10 V-active: 249

576i PAL:
----------
4x Line: Does not work

The benefits are huge using mclassic in 2x or higher mode. The output looks sharper but still has the nice upscaled effect with AA added.

Here is an example:
Dreamcast
Soul Calibur US (480p)
2x Line
16:9 mode (green light) on mclassic (using 4:3 ratio on my TV )

Screenshots with and without mclassic:

legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

Do you confirm that mClassic "only" upscale to 1440p (Switch, PS3, Wii U) and not to 4K? If i use a 4K Sony tv (like the new A95K), is it better to use 4K Gamer Pro in order to upscale to 4K resolution? thanks
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

You could just crank the sharpness setting to max and enable dynamic contrast on your TV to get the same effect as the 4K Gamer Pro. No need to waste any money on a device like that when your TV most likely is already capable of butchering the picture in a similar fashion :)
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

do you think that i don't need mClassic/4K gamer pro in order to improve image quality on a 4K screen?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you want subjective perceptual sharpness and contrast "enhancement", a DarbeeVision device is significantly better buy.
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

ah, i don't know this brand, i didn't read nothing about these devices
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

legolas119 wrote:do you think that i don't need mClassic/4K gamer pro in order to improve image quality on a 4K screen?
I don’t think you need either. To view the source as intended you should set sharpness at its neutral setting where no ringing is applied, this is usually 0 on most TVs. Additionally you should disable every options called Dynamic-something.

This will most likely produce a picture softer than you are used to, but it will be much more accurate and free of unwanted artifacts and noise.

If you want to go all the way you could also set the color temperature (or white balance) to warm. This is much closer to the industry standard used when colorgrading movies.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Konsolkongen wrote:I don’t think you need either. To view the source as intended you should set sharpness at its neutral setting where no ringing is applied, this is usually 0 on most TVs. Additionally you should disable every options called Dynamic-something.
This man speaks the truth.
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

ah ok, thanks, if a good tv can avoid to buy a mClasic/4K gamer pro, this is really good :)

many thanks!