Nintendo AV multi-out connector availability

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BushLin

Nintendo AV multi-out connector availability

Post by BushLin »

Greetings,

I want to make my own set of cables for the SNES but struggling to find some high quality connectors which plug into the SNES (same connector for NES, N64, GC). Does anyone know of a reputable supplier for such things? Ideally I'd find some with gold plated contacts.
I found this post on here but I can't PM the person directly, possibly because my account is new.
Bratwurst

Re: Nintendo AV multi-out connector availability

Post by Bratwurst »

Buy some official N64 RF modules, rob the gold plated pins from them to insert in generic Chinese SNES/N65/Gamecube cable ends. Some modification will be necessary, memory is hazy, and you'll need multiple RF modules (I think two?) just to do one proper RGB cable.

You could just build the cable into the RF module housing, but they won't normally fit the Super Famicom, or an AV Famicom, etc because of clearance issues.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

BushLin

Post by BushLin »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Do you know if these are any different to what appears to be the source for most sellers?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50-PCS- ... 88146.html
Even in the product photo they look pretty low quality.

I've since found this project viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63337 where the connector looks great and the electronics are sure to be neat but I'm waiting on availability in this form.
Bratwurst wrote:Buy some official N64 RF modules, rob the gold plated pins from them to insert in generic Chinese SNES/N65/Gamecube cable ends. Some modification will be necessary, memory is hazy, and you'll need multiple RF modules (I think two?) just to do one proper RGB cable.

You could just build the cable into the RF module housing, but they won't normally fit the Super Famicom, or an AV Famicom, etc because of clearance issues.
Interesting, if it fits a PAL/European SNES that'd be enough for me and the housing is a bonus. If nothing of quality is available directly, this is very helpful if it fits.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Yeah I know they aren't the peak specimens you were hoping for, but basically everything on the market is that exact same part.

Probably all made in the same Chinese factory too :roll:
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The ones from Helder are different to the ones on an ebay scart cable.
I've used a few in my own setup and they are brilliant.