Any good older 1080p TVs still available?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: Any good older 1080p TVs still available?

Post by Xyga »

Really bad luck, but I guess that's your everage eBay experience these days...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:Really bad luck, but I guess that's your everage eBay experience these days...
Yeah, I'm on my second orders. I'm asking for a pic of the box in advance now.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I got both the Samsung TV and the Samsung monitor.

The Samsung TV, I had to get in an "open box", so it was probably a display. It looks really good, and the picture is great.

I'm having a time with the monitor. It works fine, but the way they have the brightness, contrast, and color is really tough to calibrate. Like it's bright. BRIGHT. And the contrast makes everything look like it's got bloom going on. It's got 3 gamma settings, so that affects it too. And no matter what I do, I can't get the colors saturated enough. It always looks washed out. I'm hoping once I am able to get the other settings better, that it will look more saturated. Because my Dell monitors, and both of my Samsung TVs have great saturation levels.

Also, Game Mode sucks, as soon as you set that, you have no control over sharpness, color, or anything but brightness and one other setting I think. And the picture looks washed out and way too sharp. I'm hoping the ms isn't much higher with it off.
It's a tricky monitor.
Any recommended settings would be good. lol
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Make sure you got the right black level setting on each input, remember I've mentioned that? there's a setting somewhere in the menus (I don't have the monitor there and don't rememer exactly where it's located, edit: it's 'HDMI black level' normal/low)

Also first make sure whatever the source you're using is outputing full range RGB (black level settings and that are directly related)

No point in trying to adjust contrast and colors manually if you haven't done that first. I had no issues like you mention with it after that.

PS: game modes and things like dynamic contrast have no purpose on those basic monitors, they're only marketing garbage image processing that degrade the image. the only thing you have to do is turn the overdive on (should be on actually, 'faster' is the default good setting), and maybe set the colors temp to either normal or custom (with default values)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:Make sure you got the right black level setting on each input, remember I've mentioned that? there's a setting somewhere in the menus (I don't have the monitor there and don't rememer exactly where it's located, edit: it's 'HDMI black level' normal/low)

Also first make sure whatever the source you're using is outputing full range RGB (black level settings and that are directly related)

No point in trying to adjust contrast and colors manually if you haven't done that first. I had no issues like you mention with it after that.

PS: game modes and things like dynamic contrast have no purpose on those basic monitors, they're only marketing garbage image processing that degrade the image. the only thing you have to do is turn the overdive on (should be on actually, 'faster' is the default good setting), and maybe set the colors temp to either normal or custom (with default values)
I will experiment with it more. Thanks.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh I've brought it out BTW, and yeah it's as I remember, the hdmi black level settings make it a bit confusing.
Whether you're on normal or low it changes everything.
The magicbright presets can be useful if you seek a quick access, pick your black level and a magicbright, then adjust the main brightness slider.

You'll also notice a PC/AV switch, iirc the AV is supposed to be useful for external sources but it also changes the black level and does a bit of overscan.

Anyway yeah you get used to it, I had it in storage for a long time and forgot how pleasant it could be so I watched a movie.
Regarding the impression of high brightness, well yeah it's a VA, with naturally higher contrast than TN and IPS, and abusive default/factory settings so it's necessary to learn how to tame the clumsy Samsung control menus.
But after a while, in particular if you put it side-by-side with other displays TN or IPS, you realize it's a rare breed in this size and resolution. Want pristine 1080p for films and dark games in 32" ? as we've seen there's only about two-three displays to choose from (not counting used displays of course)
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

You can't really say the display isn't saturated enough without using a colorimeter to tell whether it is displaying things accurately or not.
Samsung TVs usually have two color gamut modes, auto and native. The native one usually extends beyond 709 and makes things more saturated at the cost of accuracy.

Also make sure to set the input labels to DVI/PC as this will force 4:4:4 properly unless you send it a 1080p24 signal (then uses a non 4:4:4 mode regardless and the processing of the image changes. Which may need separate calibration.). In 4:4:4 mode you don't need to set game mode (It shouldn't let you actually), it should have the lowest lag by default in PC mode.
In PC mode it disables the black level setting too so you shouldn't have to worry about it if you send a full range RGB signal. (HDMI Normal is 0-255 and low is 16-235).
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I haven't read through the thread but I'm sure people have brought up plasmas as decent alternatives for 1080p/720p content. I believe there is a Samsung 42 incher that does 720p quite nicely. It also can do both 480p and even 240p stuff decently with its internal scaler. I would also look into the pioneer elite models of that size. But if you go bigger screen, both Panasonic and Samsung made some truly great high end consumer models in the 50" inch plus range. Kinda hard to find but wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye open. I got my high end plasma 60 inch for $400 which can get you a similar sized led but the plasma is obviously better in many aspects.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

There's someone on Ebay about a 4 hour drive away selling one of the only 1080p OLEDS made, the EG9100. But they are asking 1000$ for it. Which is steep AF. I know it was 1500+$ new, but it's early gen OLED tech and has around 30ms of lag with the last update supposedly. There's the problem with ABL though. Listing says no screen issues (so no burn in) but I wonder how many hours have been put in.

Edit: Just double checked the listing and wow lol they increased the price to 1100 and are now asking 500$ for shipping.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm doing better with the colors. A good bit. But compared to every other monitor/TV I own, it's kind of a clusterfuck. In terms of getting the colors "right". Once they're right, it's fine. I'm still working on it though.
And who came up with that joystick? Death would be too good for them! :lol:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's Samsung...LG's low ends aren't too good either, appalling that these two have the the biggest shares of the market.

Yeah the joystick is bad, but the ViewSonic I use now has many buttons on the backside and it's even harder to navigate (the quality of the firmware though is in another league entirely)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

On a side note; right now the ViewSonic VX3211-mh is at 160€ on amazon fr and 180€ on amazon de.

If you're there and own an OSSC you are compelled to buy one !!! :mrgreen: (except if your thing is playing bob-deinterlaced 480i games because it's an IPS)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was curious....With my PC games, I can just control the color/gamma/all that from the Nvidia panel. Will using that one PC games add any input delay?
It's pretty simple.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't know why it would, that display's always got the same fixed input delay no matter what, any more delay is what your OS/controls/drivers/games produce.

Don't know why you struggle this much to get the colors/gamma etc right honestly, personally I don't touch the gamma (you shouldn't have), only the right hdmi lack level depending on the source, the brightness, and a default tone profile (normal, user, cinema..) and it looks great.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:I don't know why it would, that display's always got the same fixed input delay no matter what, any more delay is what your OS/controls/drivers/games produce.

Don't know why you struggle this much to get the colors/gamma etc right honestly, personally I don't touch the gamma (you shouldn't have), only the right hdmi lack level depending on the source, the brightness, and a default tone profile (normal, user, cinema..) and it looks great.
I'm an odd one, when it comes to color. :lol:
My computer is the main culprit though, and using the Nvidia colors solves the problem for that. So, it's doing well now.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a monitor stand like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Adjustabl ... e-products

But one that can go up to 32 inches. All the ones that go up to 32 inches or higher, I can't adjust the height on the fly. And that would be really helpful for portrait mode. I don't really want to have to break out some kind of screwdriver when I want to lift the screen height up.

Or am I gonna have to get one that goes into the back of the desk, or screws into the wall?
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

You shouldn't use NVCP to change the colors of your display.

Getting the right signal to display on PC is confusing because of stupid standards set for EDID information and HDMI devices. When it comes to PCs computers often get stuck and confused on whether they should send a 1080p signal with video timings to a PC, or to use a real 1920x1080 with RGB PC timings. For some god unknown reason they still support this shit on PC when it serves no purpose and only ends up causing the wrong signal to be sent and used.

If you use Custom Resolution Utility to edit the edid to remove YcBcR and HDTV resolutions (video timings) from the edid. The display will always detect and use the proper signal , 1920x1080 RGB without any chance of randomly using 1080p24/30 HDTV limited timings. And if you have the input label set to DVI-PC, the display is expecting a 0-255 signal no matter what. So using 16-235 will look crushed. That's how you know it looks correct.
The input lag is only going to change on a per program basis and how you set things up can influence input lag on a per game basis. The display lag doesn't change if it's kept in the proper PC display mode.

As for a stand, you may have to get a mount. I have only used static stands like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... UTF8&psc=1
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

VIVO make 32" rotating stands;

STAND-V001V (that one has a pneumatic spring lift mechanism)
STAND-V001D
STAND-V001P

the problem you'll have is that the holes on the back of the monitor are a bit off-center, so when you rotate it'll be off-axis, wrong distribution of weight, necessary to be gentle/careful
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:VIVO make 32" rotating stands;

STAND-V001V (that one has a pneumatic spring lift mechanism)
STAND-V001D
STAND-V001P

the problem you'll have is that the holes on the back of the monitor are a bit off-center, so when you rotate it'll be off-axis, wrong distribution of weight, necessary to be gentle/careful
Would you recommend a wall mount or desk mount then?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Why 'then' ? you asked about a stand that can accomodate 32", rotate, and featuring lifting mechanism, there's at least one in the list.

Personally I've never bothered with a wall mount or desk arm anyway.

edit: ok I see, you've eliminated the stands immediately because of the off-axis thing I've mentioned, that surprised me.
I think you don't hve the correct image of it in your mind, the issue will remain no matter what type of mount/arm etc you use: every time you rotate in portrait the display will be off-axis anyway, just look behind your monitor and see where the mounting holes are located, you'll understand.
the only 'fix' would be an adapter steel plate to move the 4 holes to the center. it's something typically DIY.