Sony 2130QM NTSC display issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kakarotto

Sony 2130QM NTSC display issue

Post by Kakarotto »

Hi Guys,

Since couple of weeks now my 2130QM started displaying my NTSC games in a weird way with black borders and that annoying white line on top as you can see on the picture !

I didn't change anything in the settings and and my set-up stayed the same.
As the console starts, the PAL format turns ON and as soon as the game lunches it disappears and no other format is detected....

Any idea where this could come from ?

Please note that i don't have the remote control to access the service Menu.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Have a great day.

Leoraider

Re: Sony 2130QM NTSC display issue

Post by Leoraider »

Have you already solved this issue?
I have the same pronlem just now with one of my 2130qm, already replaced all caps on D board, and power supply (Fa/Fc boards), tested all resistors near vertical amp ic but still same issue. tested the V.size pot and it is good , swapped a B board from another fully working unit and got the same so at least the problem is definitely relative to the D board.

investigating I discovered that by touching the ic 501 upc1377C with a finger it sends a signal to the vertical ic ( ic 551 upc1378H) and the image returns to normal amplitude (ntsc mode) for a few seconds, the weldings on the ic 501 are perfect,
there must be something wrong elese just near this ic and 60/50hz sync line.

as soon as I discover something I will let you know
Leoraider

Post by Leoraider »

after having disassembled and tested all the transistors on the 50 / 60hz switch section and all the resistors and diodes noting only that they were all good I found the solution to the problem and the beauty that was in front of my face!

There is a ittle zener diode applied on a resistor just near the CX23025 50/60hz switch ic, this diode is not reported on scheme and parts list, I'm not able to identify the value since there is no script but tested it is not interrupted bytheway removed and the v size is now perfect working again. Tested the monitor With jamma pcbs and jap consoles for hours and there was no issue. The diode it is mounted on a resistor (r1529 15K 1/6W) I want post some photos but cannot maybe I still not allowed to post photos?

I have five units so I will disassemble onother one to try to identify better this diode. This should be a mod made by sony factory since it is not reported on the manual/scheme.

For the braves who want recap the 2130qm the most important is the Fa and Fc boards and the deflection board (D board) , on psu board you must reflow all resistors, on D board pay attention to c532 4.7uf 50v wich is BIPOLAR and not specified on the manual, pay attention to c1535 47uf 50v because its mounted at reverse polarity respect pcb indication.

I will report about the little diode asap.

I must correct my advice about c1535 you must install in correct polarity unless you found a mod on D board:just on few units I have found already a little mod where a trace was cutted and this cap is installed at reverse polarity….so just pay attention at your pcb and replace it with polarity accordingly ..
Last edited by Leoraider on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kel

Post by kel »

Very interesting. On mine 60hz doesn't quite fill the screen vertically but not as bad as the OPs picture though. When I finally get around to recapping the set I was going to look into it. This information will definitely come in handy if it's related though.
Leoraider

Post by Leoraider »

kel wrote:Very interesting. On mine 60hz doesn't quite fill the screen vertically but not as bad as the OPs picture though. When I finally get around to recapping the set I was going to look into it. This information will definitely come in handy if it's related though.
If you cannot fill the screen vertically by v. Size pot then you have to remove the Little diode and its black thermal pad wich can create corrosion on solder joints wich are under it, so remove this Pad and clean asap. Probably you will discover all big caps on d board leacking eccept the two 33uf 160v on ABL circuit wich usually are good like all the Little ones. Most important on Fa board inspect for all dry solder joints, on PTC area for sure.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Leoraider wrote:I want post some photos but cannot maybe I still not allowed to post photos?
The forum does not offer an image upload functionality itself. You need to upload it elsewhere (imagehoster, own site etc.) and link to it using the [img] tag.
kel

Post by kel »

Leoraider wrote:
kel wrote:Very interesting. On mine 60hz doesn't quite fill the screen vertically but not as bad as the OPs picture though. When I finally get around to recapping the set I was going to look into it. This information will definitely come in handy if it's related though.
If you cannot fill the screen vertically by v. Size pot then you have to remove the Little diode and its black thermal pad wich can create corrosion on solder joints wich are under it, so remove this Pad and clean asap. Probably you will discover all big caps on d board leacking eccept the two 33uf 160v on ABL circuit wich usually are good like all the Little ones. Most important on Fa board inspect for all dry solder joints, on PTC area for sure.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it when I finally get around to opening it up. If I'm going to the trouble of disassembling it then I would usually just replace all electrolytic caps regardless.
bounav

Post by bounav »

Hello,

Thanks @Leoraider for your comments.
For the braves who want recap the 2130qm the most important is the Fa and Fc boards and the deflection board (D board) , on psu board you must reflow all resistors, on D board pay attention to c532 4.7uf 50v wich is BIPOLAR and not specified on the manual, pay attention to c1535 47uf 50v because its mounted at reverse polarity respect pcb indication.
I'm in the process of recapping a 2130QM and I made a terrible rookie mistake: assuming the service manual would be 100% correct and list all the capacitor. With this frame of mind, I desoldered all the electrolytic caps on my D-board without writing which cap reference had which values.

I ended up with 3 "unknown" caps:
  • C1535
    C1534
    C1536
Comparing the service manual's circuit board prints and the board I have I found that the cap references for the 3 caps above (I should check the other ones really!) are different.
  • C1536 is C1533 in the service manual
    C1534 is C1534 in the service manual
    C1535 is C1531 in the service manual
And looking at the part list in the service manual, it's listing C1531 as "47pF 500V ceramic cap" and missing C1534 and C1535... According to @Leoraider C1535 might be a 47uF 50V.

So my question is: anyone out here willing to check if they have those caps and if they do what values they??

Thanks in advance.

-- edit 2020-11-03

Many thanks to @Leoraider for getting back to my via private messages.

If anybody needs the info, these are the values I was looking for:

C1535 22uf 16v
C1534 10uf 16v
C1536 2.2uf 50v

C532 Bipolar 4.7uf 50v

Hope this helps.