DVDO VP50 FYI - Frame lock for minimum lag

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ShmupJunkie

DVDO VP50 FYI - Frame lock for minimum lag

Post by ShmupJunkie »

I just discovered something this morning that was not in anything I've read before in regards to the VP50. Wanted to post this in case it's helpful to anyone else as well. It's understood that you should turn Cadence OFF to minimize lag. I tested both my display and through the DVDO this morning using my Leo Bodnar tester. As expected, the display showed 14-15ms which is what mine runs. However, I got 2 different results through my DVDO based on the frame lock settings. It appears unlocking the frame rate to pass through actually adds lag. When locking my output frame rate to 60hz, I got an expected 6-7ms extra lag, total 21-22ms. Not bad. Unlocking the frame rate jumped the reading (in this case unlocked it was 59.94hz) gave me a reading of 44ms! That's another whopping 20ms+ of delay... almost what I would get with cadence turned ON.

So I wanted to post this as an FYI for anyone using these and leaving an unlocked frame rate. Either Cadence is ignored with an unlocked frame rate in the software, or the DVDO performs additional processing. I tested this back and forth multiple times to confirm my results. Sorry if this was common knowledge on this board as I am newer here, but I wanted to post this in case it wasn't and some found it useful.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
Fudoh

Re: DVDO VP50 FYI - Frame lock for minimum lag

Post by Fudoh »

with an unlocked framerate setting you always get plenty of extra lag, since you're effectively looking at a framerate conversion. This should only be used for capture purposes (to achieve a higher compatibility with capture devices) and never when just using the DVDO for playing.
ZellSF

Re: DVDO VP50 FYI - Frame lock for minimum lag

Post by ZellSF »

I never thought about this, but it makes sense for framerate conversion to at least introduce 1 frame of input lag.
Fudoh wrote:with an unlocked framerate setting you always get plenty of extra lag, since you're effectively looking at a framerate conversion. This should only be used for capture purposes (to achieve a higher compatibility with capture devices) and never when just using the DVDO for playing.
If you're using it with a OSSC, it's the only way to get instant 240pX2>480iX2 transitions. It's not like +20ms of input lag makes games unplayable.