Best hardware for 1080p -> 1080i & 720p -> 1080i

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Best hardware for 1080p -> 1080i & 720p -> 1080i

Post by Xer Xian »

Fudoh wrote:yes, but there's a reason why only the inner square area is used. Because only there you get the guaranteed TVL/inch rating. Tubes are more blurry on the edges of the tube. Xer Xian was refering to that as well.
It's quite evident on my DT-V17, but - while of course not a formal test - looking at some high-def pictures of a Sony FW900 there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. I would expect the same to be true for their broadcast monitors. I wonder what was the secret sauce Sony engineers used in their labs :)

Edit: Cut off some unimportant considerations on TVL because OT
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xer Xian wrote:Keep in mind that DVDOs will cut your horizontal chroma resolution by a half.

An ideal solution here would be a scaler with 4:4:4 sampling, low latency and selectable flicker filter's intensity for high-res interlaced outputs. I don't know if such a device exists. Among the ones that I know, some machines from Calibre, such as the LEDView series, come closest to the ideal - but that's only judging from the declared specifications (a couple of forum members here, who owned Calibre VPs, have questioned their veracity). They're quite difficult to find though, and be aware that the only one that's currently listed on eBay appears to not have the selectable flicker filter.
Yes, the flicker filter option is only on the high end HQView and LEDView machines, but I don't think it works for interlaced output. (Also sold as Eiki and Optoma machines.) Kramer sells the high end model as the vp-794. AFAIK, HQView and LEDView machines are identical.

After experimenting with my machines and asking Fudoh for an expert opinion, it seems the machines sample at 4:4:4, but there is subsampling somewhere in the processing. For high resolution inputs (720p and 960p) the upscaled 1080p output is really great. 480p to 1080p is just okay, but it's better than what you get from a DVDO.

As I recall, the "flicker filter" on the Calbre Reon HQV models is actually a deinterlacing feature. On the vp-794, the flicker filter helps battle the "flickering" of bob deinterlacing. The HQView 320 (or LEDView 320) doesn't have the flicker filter. It's a nice plus, but I don't see the point. You can get bob deinterlacing from the OSSC for free. Adding the Calibre to the chain also adds 25ms of latency minimum--and most displays can give you better results than bob deinterlacing in 25ms or less. 25ms is too expensive for less flickery bob deinterlacing.

What upset me about Calibre is they advertised 4ms of latency for progressive signals. The lowest true possible latency is ~25ms. Their customer service people and one of their engineers talked to me like condescending assholes. They continue to claim that their machine can resolve a signal, scale it, and output it in 4ms--and that's complete bullshit. It can't do that--not even as a passthrough. Also, they continue to claim it's 4:4:4, when it isn't. (HDFury does the same sh*t.)

Then again, it accepts 960p from the OSSC, the scaling engine looks very good, the (high quality setting) deinterlacing is pretty good (but not fast), and 1 1/2 frames isn't bad. You can also tate your games with it--without additional lag. So, it's a potential "all in one" machine if you are okay with ~25ms of latency. Always feed 960p from the OSSC and it's very pretty.

Honestly, if they built the Calibre Reon into a 1080p display/projector and the 25ms of lag was the total processing latency, I'd be all over it. As it stands, you need to combine it with a low latency monitor.

----------------------------

Your post did rattle something loose in my old brain. :) Now that I think about it, the Corio2 has a flicker filter option for creating and outputting interlaced signals, doesn't it? I think the Corio2 might do it.

I admit I don't use the Corio2 as an upscaler. Do you think the upscaling from 720 lines to 1080 lines good enough for OP to use the Corio2 for 1080i?
We apologise for the inconvenience
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

orange808 wrote:Also, they continue to claim it's 4:4:4, when it isn't. (HDFury does the same sh*t.)
Which HDFury products aren't 4:4:4 though they claim to be? I'm wondering because I use an HDFury 3 as my main device to convert HDMI to VGA (then fed to an Rxi RGB Interface for use on the BVM). This product also advertises the ability to do color upscaling for limited range RGB 16-235 to full 0-255 (though I haven't really bothered to really see if this makes a difference at all with limited RGB output, like the Wii U's, and maybe blurays?).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Which HDFury products aren't 4:4:4 though they claim to be?
the ones that do upscaling.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Okay. Maybe upscaling without subsampling is too hard? I wonder if the Extron DVS does the same.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

orange808 wrote:Now that I think about it, the Corio2 has a flicker filter option for creating and outputting interlaced signals, doesn't it? I think the Corio2 might do it.
I thought the same, but the 1T-C2-750 manual explicitly states that "The Flicker Reduction menu item will only appear if you have selected a low resolution interlaced output such as PAL or NTSC". On the contrary, the Calibre LEDView530 manual states here that "The Flicker Filter reduces interlace horizontal line edge bounce or flicker when scan converting froma computer progressive input format to an interlaced output signal", without mentioning any limitation. Now I wouldn't take that at face value when they have seemingly lied on others features, but I did specify that when I mentioned Calibre to the OP. :)
I admit I don't use the Corio2 as an upscaler. Do you think the upscaling from 720 lines to 1080 lines good enough for OP to use the Corio2 for 1080i?
I've already commended Corio2 machines for their upscaling in the past - it's brilliant and the best I've ever seen. I don't have 720p to 1080p captures on hand, only 480p to 1080p samples, here (ordered for increasing PQ):

DSC 301 HD (480p passthrough from OSSC)
Crystalio II 3100 (480p Component from PS2 - ignore the clipping, CII could've used some calibration on this video input - Fudoh that's your business now :) )
Corio2 (1T-C2-750) (480p passthrough from OSSC, AR way off)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't really think that the Corio2 looks rather pleasing in this example. Does this scroll smoothly without any artfacting? The uneven pixel width and height (just look at the black outline around the PAUSE lettering) outright invite shimmering effects, don't they?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Maybe? I can't say I noticed any shimmering back then. I did record a video as well (from another source) and looking at it now I don't see anything wrong. I'll upload it now and PM you the link :)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

So a Corio2 would also be good for upscaling 720p and converting 1080p to 1080i? Not that I would get one as they go for silly prices nowadays, but I would be very curious to see how one performs in this regard.