Retro-Access Releases Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Scart/BNC Cables

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: Retro-Access Releases Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Scart/BNC Ca

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Bumping the thread since it was on the verge of being sent to page 3.
thanks for nothing!
Sorry about that.

It's been another 2 weeks since I sent Retro Access an email regarding a possible exchange of the coax snes and gen cables for the fortraflex equivalents and still no response. Since I have no other way to contact Retroaccess when they don't email back I'm hoping I can get their attention here. They make the best cables out there imo but communication is a real weak point. :(
They're busy, have an admittedly small operations group, are trying to get the new cables out to customers, and helping customers. I emailed them months ago after my cable wasn't working and they offered an exchange. They are out there working, sometimes it takes time.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Okay, so... why can't I get this to work with Gunbird 2 and an OSSC?

https://youtu.be/Bb-1c9e532k

I'm only willing to point fingers at myself because I trust Retro-Access and citrus3000psi. But the SCART cable I got from thefoo.83 back in 2016 (which I hoped the Retro-Access cable would replace) worked fine, so...

---

UPDATE: Issue resolved with a refund. Great customer service!
Last edited by Triple Lei on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Triple Lei wrote:Okay, so... why can't I get this to work with Gunbird 2 and an OSSC?

I'm only willing to point fingers at myself because I trust Retro-Access and citrus3000psi. But the SCART cable I got from thefoo.83 back in 2016 (which I hoped the Retro-Access cable would replace) worked fine, so...
What does the OSSC's screen say once it gets sync? (It's illegible in your video.)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Triple Lei wrote:Okay, so... why can't I get this to work with Gunbird 2 and an OSSC?

What does the OSSC's screen say once it gets sync? (It's illegible in your video.)
At what point does the OSSC screen appear? I notice that on the other hand the Dreamcast says "This game doesn't support the AV cable that is currently connected to the main console turn off the console and replace the AV cable."
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

nmalinoski wrote:

AV1: RGBS 525i
31.46kHz 119.88H

This is with the switch set at 15kHz, which I hope was seen and heard with the way I flicked the switch with my finger in the video.

---

UPDATE: Issue resolved with a refund. Great customer service!
Last edited by Triple Lei on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:At what point does the OSSC screen appear? I notice that on the other hand the Dreamcast says "This game doesn't support the AV cable that is currently connected to the main console turn off the console and replace the AV cable."
It happens between 0:09 and 0:10 during the quick pan up from the console to the TV.
Triple Lei wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:What does the OSSC's screen say once it gets sync? (It's illegible in your video.)
AV1: RGBS 525i
31.46kHz 119.88H

This is with the switch set at 15kHz, which I hope was seen and heard with the way I flicked the switch with my finger in the video.
Take a look at the first value on the second line; for some reason, the OSSC is receiving that 525i signal as 31kHz, when it's supposed to be 15kHz. Try flipping the switch a couple times and make sure that it's fully on one side or the other. If that doesn't work, I'd be inclined to think the cable is faulty.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ldeveraux wrote:They're busy, have an admittedly small operations group, are trying to get the new cables out to customers, and helping customers. I emailed them months ago after my cable wasn't working and they offered an exchange. They are out there working, sometimes it takes time.
How long did it take for them to get back to you? It's been almost a month now and still no response. I sent out a second email, hopefully I hear back from them. I can understand being busy, but it doesn't take much time to just send an email, even if only to let me know that they're overwhelmed and will get back to me later.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:They're busy, have an admittedly small operations group, are trying to get the new cables out to customers, and helping customers. I emailed them months ago after my cable wasn't working and they offered an exchange. They are out there working, sometimes it takes time.
How long did it take for them to get back to you? It's been almost a month now and still no response. I sent out a second email, hopefully I hear back from them. I can understand being busy, but it doesn't take much time to just send an email, even if only to let me know that they're overwhelmed and will get back to me later.
It took 2 days last September, maybe I just emailed at the right time? I replied directly to my order confirmation saying my cable had broken and they sent me a return ship label. I ended up fixing the problem myself, but they still replied the entire time.
amerika

Post by amerika »

I had an issue with Retro-access and an PCE RGB Scart cable a while back (they switched the green and blue wires accidentally and didn't catch it due to PCE test unit being down) and they were super responsive. This was July of last year. I also purchased the same cable you're using and I have had no issues with it thus far. However, I'm not piping it into an OSSC.
Last edited by amerika on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:
It took 2 days last September, maybe I just emailed at the right time? I replied directly to my order confirmation saying my cable had broken and they sent me a return ship label. I ended up fixing the problem myself, but they still replied the entire time.
Thanks for sharing. So I got a reply today and they will honor the exchange. Apparently was just a mix up where they thought they had replied already due to their being another customer with a similar request. Was just bad luck I guess. :)
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

Hi all,
My retro acess Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Coax shielded scart cable that i brought and posted my impressions in this thread fell apart =(
The end got stuck in the port and would not come out... I was playing on my d24 and then tried to remove the scart cable from my dreamcast.

I loved how secure the cable was in my Dreamcast.

Maybe a little too secure:
The end got stuck in the dreamcast and did not want to come out.

I finally managed to get it out:

close in pics:

I tried reattaching it but it slips right out and it now goes in and out of sync at the slightest touch or movement of the cable.
I was wondering if anyone had experience contacting retro access and if they have a warranty on their cables?

Thanks all!
strygo

Post by strygo »

Retro Access is exceedingly good about dealing with issues like this. They are sometimes slow to reply, but in my experience they will absolutely make things right.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

strygo wrote:Retro Access is exceedingly good about dealing with issues like this. They are sometimes slow to reply, but in my experience they will absolutely make things right.
thanks man! will do! same thing happened to a user on facebook after i shared it, and he said the same thing that Retro Access will replace it.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

Well i'm getting no luck getting a response from retro access re: my damaged cable so i'll post my message here and the other retro access thread with the hopes it will be seen.

Hi Drew,
i responded to your e-mail with my order number and description of the problem as you resquested.

I sent a follow up e-mail a week later, it's been about a month and wondering if you are getting the responses so i'm trying here.

Hi Drew,
this is my order number: Order #5208
and attached pics of the cable.

My cable fell apart at the end. I was playing my dreamcast on my BVM and when I was done playing I detached the cable to clean up and the end got stuck in the port broke off and did not want to come out. I finally got out the end piece
and tried reattaching it to the cable but it slips right out and it now goes in and out of sync at the slightest touch or movement of the cable.

Thanks for your help,
David
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

These look pretty cool.
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

Finally got a response. looks like posting here and the other thread while e-mailing them again may have worked.

I got a return label and shipped it off today.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Are the BNC connectors on default Retro Access cables long enough to plug into an Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 3232 HVA?
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

davidwhangchoi wrote:Finally got a response. looks like posting here and the other thread while e-mailing them again may have worked.

I got a return label and shipped it off today.
Crossposting copy and paste:

Wanted to give an update:

I just recieved a repaired dreamcast cable back today.

For those who are not getting a response as there are several on FB having the same issues, be persistent and you may get a response.
DJtheGamer

Post by DJtheGamer »

Anyone know if Retro-Access is still making Dreamcast BNC cables? I only see the SCART version on their website and I also sent them an email a while ago asking them about it but no response yet.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Reminder: thefoo83 makes dope multiformat DC cables, AND made really nice YPbPr cables for it eons before HD Retrovision has (still!) even hinted at a final release month. IMHO he makes the best DC cables. BeharBros have some neat boxes for the system, but a tad too pricey:( They could probably retire a lot of them - 2021 draws near, and Toro + Garo are STILL the only B.B. devices that people really muse over...
awe444

Post by awe444 »

fernan1234 wrote:I'm hoping that we'll also see a DE-15 option for this cable besides the SCART and BNC ones.
Bumping this comment: is anyone currently making a 15-pin-out 15khz/31khz Dreamcast cable? Sync combining is not a requirement in my specific case
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

awe444 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:I'm hoping that we'll also see a DE-15 option for this cable besides the SCART and BNC ones.
Bumping this comment: is anyone currently making a 15-pin-out 15khz/31khz Dreamcast cable? Sync combining is not a requirement in my specific case
I can make you a dongle that outputs RGBHV on a DE-15. It's not a "cable" but a 4" dongle from the multi out to the VGA. You can supplement it with any high quality VGA cable for a perfect soultion. It is 15/31kHz switchable

PM me for details if you're interested
awe444

Post by awe444 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
awe444 wrote:
I can make you a dongle that outputs RGBHV on a DE-15. It's not a "cable" but a 4" dongle from the multi out to the VGA. You can supplement it with any high quality VGA cable for a perfect soultion. It is 15/31kHz switchable
Thanks, I _might_ take you up on this... it sounds like the same functionality as a basic switchable DC box, e.g., the Behar Bros’ Kuro, but presumably in a smaller form factor? I’m really trying to minimize the amount of bulk and weight on the console end of the cable due to limited shelf space around the console. If a dongle has to be involved I might prefer to get the BNC-out version of the cable and use a BNC->DE-15 dongle (which I already have a spare of).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

awe444 wrote: Thanks, I _might_ take you up on this... it sounds like the same functionality as a basic switchable DC box, e.g., the Behar Bros’ Kuro, but presumably in a smaller form factor? I’m really trying to minimize the amount of bulk and weight on the console end of the cable due to limited shelf space around the console. If a dongle has to be involved I might prefer to get the BNC-out version of the cable and use a BNC->DE-15 dongle (which I already have a spare of).
This is what the genesis version looks like
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Question: Will every standard Retro Access BNC cable fit an Extron Crosspoint 3232?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

GeneraLight wrote:Question: Will every standard Retro Access BNC cable fit an Extron Crosspoint 3232?
I think you need to ask them to add extra length to each BNC lead.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

This is a long shot. But since REtro Access doesn’t ship to Europe. Does anyone have one for sale? I desperately need one of these DC cables :-(
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

RebeL9 wrote:This is a long shot. But since REtro Access doesn’t ship to Europe. Does anyone have one for sale? I desperately need one of these DC cables :-(
Could you use the (arguably superior) RGC component cables and BNC adapters?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... cable-480p
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

ldeveraux wrote:
RebeL9 wrote:This is a long shot. But since REtro Access doesn’t ship to Europe. Does anyone have one for sale? I desperately need one of these DC cables :-(
Eh? We don't need a pissing contest. But the retro-access cable clearly is superior.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

ldeveraux wrote:
I’m specifically out for the Retro-ACCESS cable.