extron VSC 700 issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

extron VSC 700 issue

Post by vol.2 »

my extron VSC 700 started acting up when i plugged it in today. it worked for a few minutes just fine, and then my monitor went blank and the lcd on the VSC started flicking on and off kinda dimly.

i found reference to this behavior elsewhere on the interweb, and there was a brief mention of it being a power supply issue. if so, maybe i should replace the caps on the power stage and see if it helps? any thoughts/suggestions?
Fudoh

Re: extron VSC 700 issue

Post by Fudoh »

if so, maybe i should replace the caps on the power stage and see if it helps?
it should. Mine did the same many years ago and I had it fixed this way.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fudoh wrote:
if so, maybe i should replace the caps on the power stage and see if it helps?
it should. Mine did the same many years ago and I had it fixed this way.
awesome. thanks for your input Fudoh :)

it's good news to hear someone else was able to fix it that way. also, i can smell that electrolyte scent from the power stage caps, so this is looking like the right move
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

if anyone needs to do this, here is the cap list from my PSU

http://imgur.com/a/UB55M3G

after the voltage and capacitance, thats the diameter, the height, and the lead spacing in mm
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

hey guys, similar problem:

I have just bought an Extron VSC200 off ebay. When I first plugged it in, I cruised through the menus a little without a signal on. It would repeatedly freeze and not respond to any more button presses until I rebooted it. This behavior has since passed. I tried it out yesterday with a laptop as a source (1024x768 and 800x600). The unit works, however, I see heavy interference not related to the filtering options and I'm suspecting a bad power supply.

I can't really photograph the interference (although I probably could with an OSSC...). Did you guys have similar problems with an Extron device? I have one other interface that also produces bad interference..

https://imgur.com/Q67xabE
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

SuperSpongo wrote:hey guys, similar problem:
Yeah man, it's probably caps. Those units are apparently known for blowing caps. It's either a problem with the design of the PSU, or the quality of the caps they used (or both). Sometimes it's also the fault of glues they use to hold down components which can corrode the hermetic seal on the caps and cause them to leak out.

For me, recapping something like that is absolutely nbd, I have done a lot of that kind of work, but I also have a bunch of equipment to test things and work on electronics safely.

The best approach is to test everything in the PSU section of the unit and replace anything that is out of spec (usually more than 20% high or low in capacitance) or with an abnormally high ESR. You can get a basic feel for if a cap is good or not using a cheap tester you can buy on ebay for like $10-15.

If that doesn't work, expand your testing to the other caps and diodes as a last resort.

Also, just FYI, showing us pictures of the caps doesn't really help; you can't tell if a cap is bad by looking at it unless it's really messed up. In many cases, what you might think is liquid from the caps leaking out is just glue or flux from the assembly process and nothing to worry about. You really have to actually test stuff with equipment. The other approach is to "shotgun" the PSU, but that's going to cost you more money in parts.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Never read about the glue being a problem. Interesting, thanks!

Yeah, I'll probably recap the board then. The scaler gets super hot as well, that's never good for cramped electrolytic caps :lol:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

SuperSpongo wrote:Never read about the glue being a problem. Interesting, thanks!
it can be a problem, but isn't always. Some glues will change chemically over time and with heat to become overly caustic (or acidic) and start to corrode things.

If you recap it, I wouldn't replace the really big caps unless you know they're bad because they will be very expensive.
zombiz

Post by zombiz »

Do someone know the output voltages of the Extron VSC 700 PSU ? (/ pinout)
(White / black / black / red wires on the ouput of the PSU)

Replacing the caps only didn't work for me...
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

zombiz wrote:Do someone know the output voltages of the Extron VSC 700 PSU ? (/ pinout)
(White / black / black / red wires on the ouput of the PSU)

Replacing the caps only didn't work for me...
Did you measure the voltages on your own PSU? If you got nothing, you might have to give it load first.
zombiz

Post by zombiz »

I didn't. My VSC 700 doesn't power on, so i would like to try with "another" PSU. That's why i would like to know the output voltages ( / pinout) of a fully working VSC700 PSU.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

zombiz wrote:I didn't. My VSC 700 doesn't power on, so i would like to try with "another" PSU. That's why i would like to know the output voltages ( / pinout) of a fully working VSC700 PSU.
I inferred what you were thinking about doing from your comment.

The issue is that you're not going to find a service manual because extron makes money off of repairs (at least I can't find one). So someone would have to open their unit up and measure the voltages for you.

I think that since you have the thing open already, it would make sense to check the voltages coming out of the PSU first to see what you have. If you recapped it and the unit still isn't working, then it could very well be something entirely different wrong with it. If you get voltages that make sense, then maybe your PSU is fine and you're barking up the wrong tree.

I would test the PSU output connector pins for ground continuity FIRST so you don't confuse yourself with the voltages.

And if you don't want to do that, oh well, but it's definitely what I'd do first because it's easy and it will tell you what's coming out of your PSU. There should be some whole values that make sense like +/-5, 12, 18, 24, something like that.
zombiz

Post by zombiz »

So, i did like you suggested:
- ground continuity: OK
- no voltages on the output of the PSU…
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

SuperSpongo wrote: Yeah, I'll probably recap the board then.

I recapped the power supply and the interference is gone. Six caps in total. Not bad at all!

For the VSC 200 power supply the following caps are needed:

47u 25V
470u 25V
220u 35V
1000u 25V
1200u 10V
2200u 10V