N64, S-VIDEO and the best way to play

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
digitron

Re: N64, S-VIDEO and the best way to play

Post by digitron »

@extrems which s-video n64 cables do you recommend? the Monsters are way too much $$
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Extrems wrote:Of course I did. And I did so a year ago.
yeah I remember discussing that trash with you months ago
digitron

Post by digitron »

retorgb recommends that cable - https://www.retrorgb.com/n64.html

also has tons of great reviews on eBay, I'm confused!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

digitron wrote:retorgb recommends that cable - https://www.retrorgb.com/n64.html

also has tons of great reviews on eBay, I'm confused!
A significant number of those eBay reviews are from people with PVMs and consumer sets. If people aren't complaining about these cables, those reviewers either don't care or they're ostensibly good enough for them in those scenarios. Per that screenshot from Extrems, they're clearly unsuitable for digital capture, but a CRT is going to obscure those problems.

Before I installed an UltraHDMI, I bought one of those "best" cables from the US supplier last year to use my N64 on a CRT, and it worked fine. It also looked passable when run through an RGB decoder, into an OSSC, AVR, and then my LCD, but I would get an audio buzz.
digitron

Post by digitron »

That makes sense, thank you.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ah, I guess that makes sense that I wouldn't spot anything major when seeing it on a middle of the road consumer crt.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

I can confirm what extrems pointed out--that ebay cable is garbage. Flimsy, unshielded cable that produces checkerboarding even on a CRT. There was so much noise when I connected it to my Framemeister that it was unplayable. It's passable on a CRT but it may as well be composite video. This is why I am patiently waiting for retro access to put out their Nintendo S-video cable.
digitron

Post by digitron »

GojiFan90 wrote:I can confirm what extrems pointed out--that ebay cable is garbage. Flimsy, unshielded cable that produces checkerboarding even on a CRT. There was so much noise when I connected it to my Framemeister that it was unplayable. It's passable on a CRT but it may as well be composite video. This is why I am patiently waiting for retro access to put out their Nintendo S-video cable.
Thanks for the info, do you have confirmation that retro access is actually going to make said cable? any eta?
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

It was mentioned that one is in the works in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64179

No idea about an eta.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:The absolute best S-Video cable for the N64 (along with the SNES and GameCube) is the Monster Cable GCGL300 SV-10 GameCube S-Video A/V Cable. Although it's very expensive and hard to find, these cables provide the sharpest and cleanest image quality for an unmodified Nintendo 64. The difference between the official Nintendo Composite Cables that come included with the system and these is night and day.

However comparing them to any non-composite s-video cable, they're day and day.

Source: I have and have sold many many of these. Don't waste your money.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The upcoming retro_access cable is really interesting, looking forward to that
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dorian_D

Post by Dorian_D »

I have not RGB modded my N64, but I will say I have had fantastic results using S-video. It's important to find a good cable though as there can be some bad ones out there.

The one I used first was the "The best S-video cable" from Ebay, but due to my home/setup there was checkerboarding in my video captures. I then found "gamesnow" ebay s-video fully shielded cable and it works great. It cured the checkerboarding issue that I had and still use it. However, only bummer is that I believe "gamesnow" s-video cables are no longer being sold at this time.
Spoiler
Here is a link of some comparison shots I did a couple years back.

https://imgur.com/a/Nc1kH
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:However comparing them to any non-composite s-video cable, they're day and day.

Source: I have and have sold many many of these. Don't waste your money.
yeah ok
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Sounds like there aren't any readily available s-video cables that aren't crap for the N64 then, heh?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Always remember that most of the internet has dirty power, bad PSUs, major appliances on the same circuit as their displays, and shitty switchers.

So, lots of the cable advice out there is bullshit.

With that said, I also have one of the cheap Nintendo svideo cables and they do display checkerboards on a high end CRT or digital display.

I also still have another old cable that gets hate all over the internet--and the results are quite good. :) But, there's no arguing with the neogaf crowd. Doesn't matter anyway, it works for me.
We apologise for the inconvenience
digitron

Post by digitron »

I just want a N64 cable that actually passes s-video, lol
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

Hey boys and girls. I have an opportunity to purchase a commodore 1702 CRT monitor. How does this hold up for N64 gameplay? I heard it's awesome for 8-16 bit systems so I may grab it for those anyway.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

mrwasi wrote:Hey boys and girls. I have an opportunity to purchase a commodore 1702 CRT monitor. How does this hold up for N64 gameplay? I heard it's awesome for 8-16 bit systems so I may grab it for those anyway.
I read that it's related to the JVC TM-A13SU (similar tube?) which is great for the N64's stock s-video picture. I've only found one picture of the 1702 running N64:
Looks good imo
Last edited by Gunstar on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

Gunstar wrote:
mrwasi wrote:Hey boys and girls. I have an opportunity to purchase a commodore 1702 CRT monitor. How does this hold up for N64 gameplay? I heard it's awesome for 8-16 bit systems so I may grab it for those anyway.
I read that it's related to the JVC TM-A13SU (similar tube?) which is great for the N64's stock s-video picture. I've only found one picture of the 1702 running N64:
Looks good imo
Thanks @Gunstar. My question is, since the 1702 has Chroma and Luma inputs rather than straight up S-video, would an S-video to RCA splitter work?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

mrwasi wrote:
Gunstar wrote:
Looks good imo
Thanks @Gunstar. My question is, since the 1702 has Chroma and Luma inputs rather than straight up S-video, would an S-video to RCA splitter work?
certainly should, I suppose it's possible that the discreet Y/C inputs could be expecting a different voltage level but I certainly doubt it

s-video = chroma/luma nothing more
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

I have a 1702 and yes the splitter should work, just make sure the signals are going into the right RCA jacks. They're great little monitors and even composite looks sharp as a tack on them.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Bratwurst wrote:I have a 1702 and yes the splitter should work, just make sure the signals are going into the right RCA jacks. They're great little monitors and even composite looks sharp as a tack on them.
One of my fave look for stock NES, is on a 1702. A friend had one growing up and I was always so jealous of how good of a gaming monitor he had. Fantastic little set by JVC (no surprise there).
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Ok so last week I bought some of those "best S-Video cables" on Ebay because of RetroRGB recommending them, then I see in here that they are apparently crap :shock:

So I placed an order for the Retro Access S-Video cables from Castlemania since they were in stock. I hope I'm happy with them, never thought I'd pay almost $50 for a s-video cable!

Is it too much to ask for a good looking picture on my CRT when playing N64, it shouldn't be this complicated!!!
James-F

Post by James-F »

That one is probably the best s-video cable on ebay,, well at least currently.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-N64-GameC ... SwXNxchXiT

And yeah, the cable by maxwar is the same chinese cable you can buy for 4$ from any other seller on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-Video-AV-Cab ... SwcEtZjFKG
These cables have proper Y and C connected to pins 7,8 of the SNES, but the shielding is nonexistent.
Probably pins 5,6 just black wires to the connector and not shielding at all, so some chroma bleeds into the luma.
I have a few of these.
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

My s-video rca splitters came in and the N64 looks amazing on the 1702 through s-video!!!! Thanks for the help everyone
James-F

Post by James-F »

Yep, these cables are crap.
Including the "The best S-video cable for Nintendo SNES, N64, Game Cube. Svideo SVHS 1.8m / 6ft" recommended by RetroRGB.
No shielding, just 3 super thin wires (Ground, Y, C).

They are correctly wired though, useful for testing if your console outputs S-video or playing on consumer CRT where noise doesn't matter.
I would not use these cables for capturing or with upscalers on LCD.

Image:
Spoiler
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

James-F wrote:Yep, these cables are crap.
Including the "The best S-video cable for Nintendo SNES, N64, Game Cube. Svideo SVHS 1.8m / 6ft" recommended by RetroRGB.

They are correctly wired though, useful for testing if your console outputs S-video or playing on consumer CRT where noise doesn't matter.
I would not use these cables for capturing or with upscalers on LCD.

Image:
Spoiler
THE BEST

lol what a turd
strayan

Post by strayan »

James-F wrote:Yep, these cables are crap.
Where did he recommend them? All I can find is his claim that they are good quality.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

If those shitty "the best" cables are at least wired for actual YC then maybe I should try them out. I've been looking for a sweet spot type of s-video cable not for my N64 but for my NESRGB famicom that has a multiout connector. RGB looks way too sharp for NES games in my view, and the Retro Access S-Video cable goes at least 95% where RGB goes, though the colors are closer to what composite gives which I appreciate. I always end up going back to composite, it just feels right for the NES, though at the same time a bit more sharpness would be nice. Maybe shitty S-video cables with some chroma bleeding could be the goldilocks for the NES.

For someone who feels like N64 games benefit from a bit of a smear, then perhaps shitty cables may also be "the best" way to go :lol:

Unless there's also audio buzzing. That'd probably be a deal breaker, especially for the N64.
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

I just wanted to post a little update. So after numerous tests I found a great solution for N64 using S-VIDEO. I tested it out on my Trinitron 24FS100 and the picture was good. Nothing to brag about. Then I tried my framemeister connected via HDMI to VGA adapter, hooked up to my 19" viewsonic G790 outputting 720p with scanlines and WOW. It blew the Trinitron out of the water when it came to picture quality (obviously). And I noticed virtually no lag. Very happy with this outcome. Just need a bigger CRT monitor......