Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 pm 

Konsolkongen wrote:
Yes, please let us know how that one turns out. I have so many Saturn controllers that I don't plan on picking up more anytime soon :)

Can't imagine it will be any different than yours, but I'm hoping for a better experience through production variance/personal preferences. We'll see eventually..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 pm 

So I noticed lots of ebay links for these controllers. Are we sure there aren't bootlegs floating around?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm 

BazookaBen wrote:
So I noticed lots of ebay links for these controllers. Are we sure there aren't bootlegs floating around?

+1

Amazon cancels a bunch of orders, then suddenly they're all over ebay at market price or even lower, available to ship immediately?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 pm 

BazookaBen wrote:

Can’t say. But CDON is listed as an official retailer on Retro-bits website. So I’m confident that mine are originals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 pm 

The main eBay sellers I've noticed have good reps and are all similarly located in SoCal. My hunch is that they are nearby, and have relationships with, Retro-Bit.

Oh yeah - Amazon seems to have finally gotten their stock of Saturn controllers as of today, as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 pm 

@konsolkongen, thank you so much for the in-depth review!
It's really heartbreaking reading that the Saturn pads aren't that good, but maybe I'll give the mega drive one a go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 am 

One of my pads came in. The Saturn pad in slate gray. The d-pad doesn't feel right. It's not bad but I had such high hopes it would be an exact replica of the original Saturn pads. The face buttons are decent. The shoulder buttons are terrible. They have a very soft unsatisfying click to them. I can see why the other poster would have thought it a membrane. It's definitely a case of you get what you pay for. If they had done it right it could have easily been a $40+ controller. I'll try it for a few days and see how it works out.

Edit: It was a complete waste to pre-order these. My Amazon pre-orders were canceled and my Castle orders have yet to ship. I saw that Amazon was showing in stock. I ordered on the 15th and it arrived today the 16th.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 pm 

Do you feel any difference between the directions like I did on mine? Would you be kind enough to take it appart and take a photo of the part that was damaged on mine?

I think it's still worth mentioning that even with these faults I genuinely believe that these are probably still the best D-pads currently on the market. It's just a shame that they don't match the originals which were even better :/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:54 pm 

http://imgur.com/a/SpUCbd8

I don't see the bend on the bottom like on yours. That little bit from the plastic mold is there though.

I'll do some more testing tonight with the directionals.

Edit: Although I don't seem to have the bend, the down directional just doesn't feel right. I get a nice deep press when I hit up. When I hit down the distance is shorter and it feels off. Almost squishy. My original Saturn pad I am comparing to has nice uniform travel on all directions. I'm not missing any inputs but I don't like the feeling of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:07 pm 

I ordered some of these too as i had heard good things about them. The dpad definitely feels lose on mine and not really satisfying. L and R are pretty terrible, difficult to press and difficult to tell if they've been pressed. I'd say the originals are still better.

One other thing to note is that these are the only controllers that misbehave when plugged in to my CBOX. I get random button inputs when not pressing anything so they are unusable on this.

Offline Profile