shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 7:04 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:19 pm 

What do you hate so much about it? I thought the controllers were quite good, it's just the random dealbreaking issues and their shitty customer support that has me totally turned off to this line.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:48 am 

It seems QC can be hit or miss. First two Genesis wired controllers I ordered both work on the 2600daptor and the raphnet Genesis adapter, as well as on real hardware. The latest one is detected as a three button with one and malfunctions with the other. The first two controllers behaved like an OEM controller with games where mode needs to be held, but the newest one doesn't work at all with Forgotten Worlds (it does work with Ms. Pac-Man with the mode button held all the way to the title screen).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 pm 

I've been using the 2.4ghz saturn one for quite a while, on a saturn at first and pc (retroarch on linux) since september 2020. No issues with premature battery draining and works like a charm. The usb dongle remains powered on my pc when it's in standby as I can see it flashing, but it makes no difference as the pad shuts down after a few mins with no input. I get a few days out of a charge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:48 pm 

That still sounds like the battery drain issue to me. Unless you're putting in 7 hours gaming daily, these pads should hold a charge for at least a few weeks as opposed to a few days. They're digital pads closer to what 8bitdo offers, not battery disasters like the DualShock 4 which only claim about 8 hours life max. Hell, even that's an anomaly among the "modern" controllers vs. how long an Xbox or Switch Pro controller lasts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 am 

yeah it's pretty heavy use for a few days. I did put it down for a while recently (week+) and it still had charge when I went back to it. I've not measured it but I'd say it was better than the DS4's but nowhere near xbox 360 level. I've never found myself thinking "not again!!" like on some devices.

The 8bitdo m30 is nicer to hold and the battery does last much longer. Unfortunately I bought the Bluetooth one and the lag is shocking compared to the retrobit. Also it doesn't play as nicely with retroarch if you're swapping controllers - all 8bitdo's register as generic xbox 360 pads with the same identifier so button mapping is a pita. Not a problem with the RB.

So yeah, for my money it's the best pad available for playing emulated saturn and worked well on my real saturn too. I have the USB one too but it misses the extra buttons to map to RA functions for convenience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:21 am 

Oh, that's good to hear. Too bad it's an absolute crapshoot whether you get a working one or not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:54 pm 

After having 3 or 4 of these things that behaved the same, I don't think there's anything different between each controller. I think there's something specific about people's systems that causes the drain. I wish I could work out what it was though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 pm 

My 2.4ghz pad works fine on the Saturn but I cannot for the life of me get the USB dongle to work on my PC. Does it just flat-out not get recognized by PCs? Or is this a common issue with the run of Saturn wireless pads?

The firmware update tool can't even find the dongle when inserted into the USB port, nor can the controller communicate with it. Is there something I'm missing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 pm 

EmperorIng wrote:
My 2.4ghz pad works fine on the Saturn but I cannot for the life of me get the USB dongle to work on my PC. Does it just flat-out not get recognized by PCs? Or is this a common issue with the run of Saturn wireless pads?

The firmware update tool can't even find the dongle when inserted into the USB port, nor can the controller communicate with it. Is there something I'm missing?

Can you try it on another pc?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 pm 

Not really, I'm afraid. I just got one. I also doubt it would make a difference; I built this pc with pretty beefy parts in 2017 so it isn't some crappy consumer model. Unless my sister's ultra-shitty 10-yr-old macbook is somehow going to recognize the dongle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:36 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
Not really, I'm afraid. I just got one. I also doubt it would make a difference; I built this pc with pretty beefy parts in 2017 so it isn't some crappy consumer model. Unless my sister's ultra-shitty 10-yr-old macbook is somehow going to recognize the dongle.

Does the light flash when you plug it in?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm 

Any news on the 2,4GHz Dreamcast controller?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:05 pm 

kilauea wrote:
yeah it's pretty heavy use for a few days. I did put it down for a while recently (week+) and it still had charge when I went back to it. I've not measured it but I'd say it was better than the DS4's but nowhere near xbox 360 level. I've never found myself thinking "not again!!" like on some devices.

The 8bitdo m30 is nicer to hold and the battery does last much longer. Unfortunately I bought the Bluetooth one and the lag is shocking compared to the retrobit. Also it doesn't play as nicely with retroarch if you're swapping controllers - all 8bitdo's register as generic xbox 360 pads with the same identifier so button mapping is a pita. Not a problem with the RB.

So yeah, for my money it's the best pad available for playing emulated saturn and worked well on my real saturn too. I have the USB one too but it misses the extra buttons to map to RA functions for convenience.

When you finish using the pad, do you know if the pad goes to sleep before you turn the PC off, or does the PC shut off while the pad is still on? I've noticed the pad shuts off differently depending if it's left several minutes to go to sleep or if it gets disconnected because the PC is turned off (the lights flash differently I think). I'm wondering if this might make a difference in battery drain. Does the pad shut off in D-input mode (red light)?

I've charged my pad full (with a different cable this time) and made it shut off by turning the PC off first. Will see how long it lasts with no use. Probably still the same 2-3 days but who knows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm 

Nice experiment, thanks for testing this. Sure hope they didn't actually design the pad so it couldn't sleep properly based on something random like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 pm 

Well, coming up to 5 days and the pad still has charge by not letting it go to sleep and forcing it to disconnect and shutdown instead. I did charge it with a different cable but it's pretty unlikely that had any effect. If anyone wants to try this, you'll probably need to make sure your motherboard doesn't supply power to usb ports when off with the right bios setting. This way you can either turn the PC off while the pad is still on OR just turn the pad on when the PC is off and it'll search for a connection for a bit then shutdown.

It's looking likely then that the sleep function doesn't actually work properly and it continues to draw power. Almost all of the time I would use the controller and let it go to sleep when I'd finished with it, continuing to use the PC after.

EDIT: I noticed in the manual it says something like 'If you have issues pairing, hold R+Start'. If you do this, it actually flashes a few times and then shuts off seemingly in the same was as it would if it can't see the dongle (i.e the PC is off). I'm hoping then this battery drain issue is fixed simply by holding R+Start to fully shut the controller down.

Last edited by SeeNoWeevil on Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm 

SeeNoWeevil wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:

The light blinks at a steady rate when I plug it in, the computer notices a "USB Gamepad" but I cannot get the pad to interface in any other which way (not detection, no configuration options), and the firmware installer for the 2.4ghz pad does not recognize anything connected to the computer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
SeeNoWeevil wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:

The light blinks at a steady rate when I plug it in, the computer notices a "USB Gamepad" but I cannot get the pad to interface in any other which way (not detection, no configuration options), and the firmware installer for the 2.4ghz pad does not recognize anything connected to the computer.

Give this app a try. Remove old disconnected devices and find out which is the retrobit receiver and uninstall it from here to start from fresh. It's easier than viewing in device manager.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23