Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Johnpv

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Johnpv »

Retro-Bit wrote:
Johnpv wrote:I see pre-orders are up on Castlemania, will these wireless controllers becoming to Amazon as well?
Of course. We'll be doing the main announcement on those soon.
Awesome! Can't wait, really excited for a 2.4ghz controller for my Saturn!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bobrocks95 wrote:Which Sega controllers include rumble? It's looking like Bluetooth models only from what I see?
The Bluetooth controllers come with rumble and it feels great! There are two rumble motors, one on each side, so you get a good feel and it isn't too distracting. It also adds a tiny bit of weight so it gives the controller a good solid feel.

While the 2.4 GHz wireless does not have rumble, the added benefit is the increased battery capacity, the included 2 receivers and a fancy storage case for all of it.
werk91 wrote:Any plans for a white colour ( Japanese style ) Saturn 2.4ghz controllers? If not I will be picking up that Slate Gray one once it appears on Amazon UK alongside your other products.
Reminds me a bit of the Skeleton Saturn ( This Is Cool ) edition :P
Yes, we have a white version for Saturn on our list. We don't have a timeline for that one specifically but we are working on more colors. Keep an eye on our social media next week! :D
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Which Sega controllers include rumble? It's looking like Bluetooth models only from what I see?
The Bluetooth controllers come with rumble and it feels great! There are two rumble motors, one on each side, so you get a good feel and it isn't too distracting. It also adds a tiny bit of weight so it gives the controller a good solid feel.

While the 2.4 GHz wireless does not have rumble, the added benefit is the increased battery capacity, the included 2 receivers and a fancy storage case for all of it.
Awesome! Do you have battery life estimates for either types of wireless Saturn controllers yet?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:

Awesome! Do you have battery life estimates for either types of wireless Saturn controllers yet?
Our estimates put it at 30 hours so charging shouldn't be interrupting long sessions. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Do the wireless Saturn pads support Switch? And will they offer the same button configurations as the new versions of the USB-pads?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Konsolkongen wrote:Do the wireless Saturn pads support Switch? And will they offer the same button configurations as the new versions of the USB-pads?
2.4 GHz Wireless SEGA controllers support the Switch, Genesis/MD Mini, PS3, Android, PC and Mac as well as the console dongle it is packed with. Additionally, they are cross compatible with each other console's receiver. So you can sync the 2.4 GHz Saturn controller to the Genesis/Mega Drive receiver. They will also have those additional macros present on the updated USB wired controllers as well to turn on DPad, left/right analog, and flip the face buttons.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Retro-Bit wrote:That said, if there is enough demand we will produce a black 2.4 GHz Saturn controller. :)
I may actually be passing on this first run of the Saturn 2.4GHz controllers, only because of the color. I want ones that match the consoles. Crazy I know, but looking back over the last page, I am not the only passionate crazy who feels that way ;)

So that said, I'll probably grab a couple of Genesis 2.4GHz pads, since you provided the stock Genesis colors at launch. If you have American black or Japanese white Saturn style controllers in the future (preferably both!)... I'll be there. They otherwise look great!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

PixelDharma wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:That said, if there is enough demand we will produce a black 2.4 GHz Saturn controller. :)
I may actually be passing on this first run of the Saturn 2.4GHz controllers, only because of the color. I want ones that match the consoles. Crazy I know, but looking back over the last page, I am not the only passionate crazy who feels that way ;)

So that said, I'll probably grab a couple of Genesis 2.4GHz pads, since you provided the stock Genesis colors at launch. If you have American black or Japanese white Saturn style controllers in the future (preferably both!)... I'll be there. They otherwise look great!
Agreed. I’m out until I can get a black 2.4ghz controller to match my console. Senseless decision to not have them at launch
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

These look great! Can’t wait for them to appear on Amazon
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

PixelDharma wrote:I may actually be passing on this first run of the Saturn 2.4GHz controllers, only because of the color. I want ones that match the consoles.
Yeah - RB, if by chance you passed on black Sat pads because Slate far outsold black in the wired versions, I have a strong hunch: it's not the color, it's the damn logo. I totally get you decided to match the black pads to the way they were released in the US... but everyone hates that fruity logo along with all the other mistakes Sega made with the notorious US launch. I was super-relieved and glad when you kept the proper logo on the Slate pad.

Long story short: do the black pad with a proper Sega logo and it should sell just fine :)
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yup, same here. I was excited for the 2.4 Saturn ones till I noticed it doesn’t come in black or white stock color versions to match my consoles. I’ll be holding off to see if eventually those colors are available. Seems like a strange decision to not offer the colors to match the common console versions.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Anyone know if the Bluetooth Saturn controller will work on a PS4? I'd love to play Sonic Mania with a Saturn controller vs the DS4.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Retro-Bit wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:Do the wireless Saturn pads support Switch? And will they offer the same button configurations as the new versions of the USB-pads?
2.4 GHz Wireless SEGA controllers support the Switch, Genesis/MD Mini, PS3, Android, PC and Mac as well as the console dongle it is packed with. Additionally, they are cross compatible with each other console's receiver. So you can sync the 2.4 GHz Saturn controller to the Genesis/Mega Drive receiver. They will also have those additional macros present on the updated USB wired controllers as well to turn on DPad, left/right analog, and flip the face buttons.
Excellent! :)

Any chance you could use the same L/R tact switches as you use in the Mega Drive USB-controller? Those felt pretty good to me. I realize that it may not be as simple as swapping out the part as the depth and width might be different, but I thought it was worth asking anyway :)

Also, what are the chances of a more expensive version with additional PS4 support?
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

bigbadboaz wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:I may actually be passing on this first run of the Saturn 2.4GHz controllers, only because of the color. I want ones that match the consoles.
Yeah - RB, if by chance you passed on black Sat pads because Slate far outsold black in the wired versions, I have a strong hunch: it's not the color, it's the damn logo. I totally get you decided to match the black pads to the way they were released in the US... but everyone hates that fruity logo along with all the other mistakes Sega made with the notorious US launch. I was super-relieved and glad when you kept the proper logo on the Slate pad.

Long story short: do the black pad with a proper Sega logo and it should sell just fine :)
I'd actually like a black Saturn pad to have the US Saturn logo and a white Saturn pad to have the Japanese Saturn controller-style Sega logo. I like a "close to stock" look whenever possible, for both regions.

But either way I'd just like those colors :D
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:Yeah - RB, if by chance you passed on black Sat pads because Slate far outsold black in the wired versions, I have a strong hunch: it's not the color, it's the damn logo. I totally get you decided to match the black pads to the way they were released in the US... but everyone hates that fruity logo along with all the other mistakes Sega made with the notorious US launch. I was super-relieved and glad when you kept the proper logo on the Slate pad.

This is totally not the case. There isn't anything wrong with the Saturn logo at all! As long as these controllers are official releases and we keep to SEGA's guidelines, the black controllers will have the Saturn logo. Honestly, we had great feedback from everyone and decided to launch with clear blue. We are getting people asking about a black variant so we will look into that post launch.

opt2not wrote:Yup, same here. I was excited for the 2.4 Saturn ones till I noticed it doesn’t come in black or white stock color versions to match my consoles. I’ll be holding off to see if eventually those colors are available. Seems like a strange decision to not offer the colors to match the common console versions.
We are sorry you feel that way. I did my best to explain the decision behind it. We will look into it post launch.

PearlJammzz wrote:Anyone know if the Bluetooth Saturn controller will work on a PS4? I'd love to play Sonic Mania with a Saturn controller vs the DS4.
They are not compatible with the PS4 out of the box.

Konsolkongen wrote:Excellent! :)

Any chance you could use the same L/R tact switches as you use in the Mega Drive USB-controller? Those felt pretty good to me. I realize that it may not be as simple as swapping out the part as the depth and width might be different, but I thought it was worth asking anyway :)

Also, what are the chances of a more expensive version with additional PS4 support?
I'm not aware of any changes made to the shoulder buttons. I will check on that. As for PS4 support, I don't know the technical limitations are specifically or if it can be a firmware thing down the line.

PixelDharma wrote:I'd actually like a black Saturn pad to have the US Saturn logo and a white Saturn pad to have the Japanese Saturn controller-style Sega logo. I like a "close to stock" look whenever possible, for both regions.

But either way I'd just like those colors :D
As mentioned before, we will look at further color options post-launch. The white variant is on our list for potential Saturn colors. I always relate the feedback we receive here and on other sites. We will see what the future holds. :D
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Are we past the snapping D pad cross phase yet? I wanted to get a USB controller for Tetris Effect on my PC. The low D pad on my Wii U Pro sucks for this game.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Einzelherz wrote:Are we past the snapping D pad cross phase yet? I wanted to get a USB controller for Tetris Effect on my PC. The low D pad on my Wii U Pro sucks for this game.
On our end, we were able to turn around and replace our stock and make the corrections at our factories. Per our Returns team, they have dropped off quite a bit. But we accept that there may be some out there still and are still offering replacements if needed.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Einzelherz wrote:Are we past the snapping D pad cross phase yet? I wanted to get a USB controller for Tetris Effect on my PC. The low D pad on my Wii U Pro sucks for this game.
Would recommend the Pokken Tournament controller from Hori as another option for a purely 2D pad.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
solo20

Post by solo20 »

Retro-Bit is the double joystick dreamcast controller still coming out I have seen no updates on this
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

solo20 wrote:Retro-Bit is the double joystick dreamcast controller still coming out I have seen no updates on this
We never announced a dual joystick Dreamcast controller. We have an original port Dreamcast that we are developing to release early next year.

Are you referring to the popular Dual Stick Saturn controller? That one is being developed currently.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Would recommend the Pokken Tournament controller from Hori as another option for a purely 2D pad.
Tyvm for the suggestion Bob but woo that thing is ugles. Is it very comfortable?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Einzelherz wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Tyvm for the suggestion Bob but woo that thing is ugles. Is it very comfortable?
It feels like a big chunky SNES controller kinda. Great for larger adult hands since it's very thick, and the dpad and face buttons being right in the middle where your thumbs rest feels better than using the dpad on other modern controllers.

Unfortunately looks like prices are going up though... I got my pikachu one (and you thought the black was ugly lol) on clearance for $15-20 new.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Just to be clear, do these retrobit controllers in USB config act as standard dinput or xinput controllers?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

They can do both. Button mapping is super weird though. Take a look at my post on the first page.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Einzelherz wrote:Just to be clear, do these retrobit controllers in USB config act as standard dinput or xinput controllers?
All the USB controllers can flip between X-Input and D-Input.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Button mapping is super weird though. Take a look at my post on the first page.
I wonder if anyone has confirmed yet whether the updated Switch-compatible versions work any differently though..?
solo20

Post by solo20 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
solo20 wrote:Retro-Bit is the double joystick dreamcast controller still coming out I have seen no updates on this
We never announced a dual joystick Dreamcast controller. We have an original port Dreamcast that we are developing to release early next year.

Are you referring to the popular Dual Stick Saturn controller? That one is being developed currently.
yes you are correct the Dual Stick Saturn controller has any date been set yet for release
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

solo20 wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:

yes you are correct the Dual Stick Saturn controller has any date been set yet for release
It's currently being developed. Our initial estimations we very aggressive for it's release this year. We understand people's excitement for it but we also want to release a quality product that both SEGA and ourselves are proud of.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

Retro-Bit wrote:

Which Dreamcast controllers were you referring to, the standard wired/USB for PC, or the wireless ones teased at CES 2018? Corded is fine and all, but what I really want to know is if the Bluetooth DC controllers are actually going to be a thing or not? Any news on that front?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

RIP-Felix wrote:Which Dreamcast controllers were you referring to, the standard wired/USB for PC, or the wireless ones teased at CES 2018? Corded is fine and all, but what I really want to know is if the Bluetooth DC controllers are actually going to be a thing or not? Any news on that front?
Currently, the original port Dreamcast controller we showed off at E3 and Gamescom is furthest along. We can't share any other information on other projects at this time. We have many plans for the Dreamcast in 2020. We are putting more emphasis on quality on our products going forward as well as maintaining SEGA's support. :)