Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
JBC

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by JBC »

My Genesis and Saturn 2.4ghz controllers both have a sticky right shoulder button. I don't think I can return them at this point so I was wondering if anyone has had any success at fixing them after opening?

I also have the battery issue. I have to recharge everytime I want to use them. Lame!
Godzilla was an inside job
Kaiosten

Post by Kaiosten »

JBC wrote:My Genesis and Saturn 2.4ghz controllers both have a sticky right shoulder button. I don't think I can return them at this point so I was wondering if anyone has had any success at fixing them after opening?

I also have the battery issue. I have to recharge everytime I want to use them. Lame!
I had that problem with the wireless and I think wired Saturn controllers out of the box.

I just opened them up and moved the shoulder buttons around a bit (it was a trial and error process, but it took less than 10 minutes), and they've been fine for at least 6 months since then.

Turning off the controllers manually solved the battery problem for me on all of them, but you shouldn't have to do that.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Kaiosten wrote:I just opened them up and moved the shoulder buttons around a bit (it was a trial and error process, but it took less than 10 minutes), and they've been fine for at least 6 months since then.
Nice. I'll try that then, thanks man.
Godzilla was an inside job
WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

SeeNoWeevil wrote: EDIT: I noticed in the manual it says something like 'If you have issues pairing, hold R+Start'. If you do this, it actually flashes a few times and then shuts off seemingly in the same was as it would if it can't see the dongle (i.e the PC is off). I'm hoping then this battery drain issue is fixed simply by holding R+Start to fully shut the controller down.
The workaround doesn't work for me I can't figure out why. I use my controller with the Sega saturn and after powering off the console I hold R+Start but the controller doesn't shut off. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Sorry to derail with a non-wireless question, but it looks like the shitty d-pad issue hit my Saturn USB pad yesterday. Left input stopped working entirely, and when I opened it up, sure enough, the horizontal bar(?) at the back side of the d-pad was bent on both sides, and almost snapped clean through on the left side.

This was one of the first models (bought in mid-2019, no Switch compatability), but it hasn't gotten a lot of use lately, mostly because I haven't had time. I also picked up one of the second-generation models that support the Switch, and going back to this OG version, there's definitely a night and day difference in the d-pad feel. I thought the original one was always a bit mushy but never bothered to drag out my Saturn controllers for an A-B comparison.

I've emailed Retro-Bit asking if I could possibly buy a replacement d-pad since I'm so far out of warranty, but given everyone's experiences with support recently I'm not holding my breath. I noticed that a local game shop carries some of the wired Genesis pads (though they could be for the actual Genesis and not USB) and am trying to decide if I should snag one of those or just get another new Saturn pad. The Model 2 Genesis pads never quite did it for me back in the day, but it's getting a lot harder to find decent PC gamepads that aren't total crap (despite the d-pad nonsense, the build quality of the rest of my Saturn pads has been really nice). For those of you with both, is there much of a qualitative difference between the Saturn and Genesis USB pads?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

WobblingPixels wrote:after powering off the console I hold R+Start but the controller doesn't shut off. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Are you holding for about three seconds, and seeing the LED begin to blink to confirm it's back in pairing mode? This is what "shuts it down"; it doesn't find a receiver and deactivates. Make sure you get the LED blink and you should be fine.
Warp_Rattler wrote:I noticed that a local game shop carries some of the wired Genesis pads
You may be pleasantly surprised by support. They recently sent me some replacement Start buttons without issue since I got one of the US pads erroneously shipped with EU colors. Regardless, the Saturn actuators do seem like a failure point. I went with Genesis pads because this part is more robust internally (the revision of the Saturn design included making everything more compact). I figure that if RB used a weaker plastic on these reproductions, it can't hurt to have the pad with a physically thicker part in use long-term. I agree the Genesis form factor isn't quite as good, but it wasn't a huge adjustment and the overall performance is really the same. Maybe you should go this route for your next purchase.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

bigbadboaz wrote:You may be pleasantly surprised by support. They recently sent me some replacement Start buttons without issue since I got one of the US pads erroneously shipped with EU colors. Regardless, the Saturn actuators do seem like a failure point. I went with Genesis pads because this part is more robust internally (the revision of the Saturn design included making everything more compact). I figure that if RB used a weaker plastic on these reproductions, it can't hurt to have the pad with a physically thicker part in use long-term. I agree the Genesis form factor isn't quite as good, but it wasn't a huge adjustment and the overall performance is really the same. Maybe you should go this route for your next purchase.
You're right about the support--I got an email yesterday offering to send out a new actuator (I knew there was a specific term for the part) even though my controller is well out of warranty. It was a nice surprise!

Good to hear about the Genesis controller quality--I'll definitely keep those in mind if I have any further trouble with the Saturn pads. Aside from the actual controller shape, it doesn't seem like the D-pad or face buttons are actually that different anyway (though I'm not the biggest fan of the smaller row of top buttons on both controllers--the only flaw of the Saturn controller IMO).
Austin

Post by Austin »

Warp_Rattler wrote:You're right about the support--I got an email yesterday offering to send out a new actuator (I knew there was a specific term for the part) even though my controller is well out of warranty. It was a nice surprise!
Same thing happened with me. My d-pad broke on my Genesis PC controller (that I use on the MiSTer). Support reached back to me pretty quickly and the replacement part arrived in a week or two. They didn't ask any questions (though I did attach photos of the broken product).
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Retro-Bit sent me a new controller without even asking for proof of purchase or even basic questions. They immediately apologized, and I had it within 3 days. LOL!
WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

bigbadboaz wrote:
WobblingPixels wrote:after powering off the console I hold R+Start but the controller doesn't shut off. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Are you holding for about three seconds, and seeing the LED begin to blink to confirm it's back in pairing mode? This is what "shuts it down"; it doesn't find a receiver and deactivates. Make sure you get the LED blink and you should be fine.
Thanks. There are two types of blinking: Fast and Slow. When holding R + start for 3 sec or longer I get the slow blinking which I think the right mode to avoid the battery drain?! The fast blinking accurs after shutting down the console and leaving the pad as it is.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yes, that's right. If that doesn't help then the pad is truly borked (and there are some that drain no matter what).
NYI

Post by NYI »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
Fudoh wrote:I would try to disable the Mega-SD's in-game hooks (no pun intended), like in-game reset and in-game menu. After all it does affect the game's button layout, to this could very well be the cause.

I was actually excited to give this a whirl, because it did make sense that it might've caused problems, sadly, that did not fix the issue. LOL! I even just tried all 5 of the Sega CD BIOS versions that I have and it didn't help either. I'd be curious to know if other people are having this issue. I wonder if it's something weird with my Genesis model and particular motherboard or something. Just tried the Sega CD version of Hook, NHL 94 and Batman Returns. In all of these, the C button behaves as start. What's really odd is that in NHL 94, while I'm playing, the C button will randomly function as it's supposed to and will shoot the puck... But, then at other random times, it will pause the game. I'm so confused. :?
Bought these controllers in September 2020 (wireless 2.4ghz Genesis), and ran smack into this issue, C button sometimes sending "start" signal in some SegaCD games, in my particular experience NHL '93 and NHL '94, rendering those games unplayable. Emailed retro-bit support, had to follow up several times, received a response in November 2020 that they were "aware of the issue" and that they were working "on a future firmware solution."

2 years later, no firmware update at all. Sent an email in November 2021 following up with the person who had responded to me a year earlier, which was ignored.

Do not buy, Retro-bit made their money and doesn't want to do anything else as demonstrated by how long they've failed to address this issue.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Very much agree. Retro-bit is a terrible company and won’t be getting any of my money again.
matt

Post by matt »

Hey, I bought a bunch of Retro Bit controllers, and mine have all been great. Had 1 Saturn pad with a dud battery that I sent back for a prompt replacement, otherwise they're working fine and I love them.

If Retro Bit is still reading this (I doubt it), many of us do enjoy these products and aren't trapped by negativity.
NYI

Post by NYI »

matt wrote:Hey, I bought a bunch of Retro Bit controllers, and mine have all been great. Had 1 Saturn pad with a dud battery that I sent back for a prompt replacement, otherwise they're working fine and I love them.

If Retro Bit is still reading this (I doubt it), many of us do enjoy these products and aren't trapped by negativity.
But just to be crystal clear, a company 1) acknowledging a serious issue only after follow-up emails, 2) stating it is working on a future solution, 3) not solving the problem as they stated they would, as of 2 years later, and 4) not responding to another follow-up inquiry, will absolutely earn negativity.

No one needs to be silent about this, and nor is it fair to characterize legitimate complaints as being "trapped by negativity," sorry.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

NYI wrote:
matt wrote:Hey, I bought a bunch of Retro Bit controllers, and mine have all been great. Had 1 Saturn pad with a dud battery that I sent back for a prompt replacement, otherwise they're working fine and I love them.

But just to be crystal clear, a company 1) acknowledging a serious issue only after follow-up emails, 2) stating it is working on a future solution, 3) not solving the problem as they stated they would, as of 2 years later, and 4) not responding to another follow-up inquiry, will absolutely earn negativity.

No one needs to be silent about this, and nor is it fair to characterize legitimate complaints as being "trapped by negativity," sorry.
1,000% this!
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Worst I've had with Retro-Bit is a sticky shoulder button on my wireless Saturn pad, which I was able to clean up and it's been working fine since.

One of my Mega Man: Wily Wars Collector's Edition collectors cards was misprinted, but whatevs. Now it's, like, even rarer.
NYI

Post by NYI »

Triple Lei wrote:Worst I've had with Retro-Bit is a sticky shoulder button on my wireless Saturn pad, which I was able to clean up and it's been working fine since.

One of my Mega Man: Wily Wars Collector's Edition collectors cards was misprinted, but whatevs. Now it's, like, even rarer.
Don't get me wrong, that's great that they're working the way they should for you. I won't deny that people can and have reported good experiences with their products. I bought 2 Genesis and 2 Saturn controllers back in 2020, and the Saturn ones have not presented any issues and the Genesis ones work with Genesis games fine.

And when a few days after my purchase when trying some SegaCD games, I ran into what TooBeaucoup and I reported experiencing, namely the C button not functioning the way a Sega licensed and Genesis compatible controller should, and sending "START" all the time or on random presses, I didn't think it was a big deal because I figured it'd get fixed eventually. But then I needed to wait two months for a substantive response to my email - I sent an email and 30 days later got a message saying they hoped someone had replied and dealt with my issue, which prompted a reply from me than no one had, to which I finally received the "aware of the issue" and "working on a future firmware solution" response yet another month later. And then over a year later I sent a follow-up, to which I did not receive a response, and then checking again and seeing no "future firmware solution," or any updates at all, since I'd contacted them two years prior, left a very bad taste in my mouth.

So just based on my personal experience, this would've been fine if they fixed it at all, but they didn't, and then not getting timely responses or responses at all has added another layer to the "negative" experience. Maybe no one will care if they're not using SegaCD or in their personal experience they've had better responsiveness to customer service inquiries, and that's fine, but to me, the lack of any update 2 years later, after they acknowledged the issue I reported, says everything.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Does this C button/Start button issue only affect the wireless controllers?
A few months ago I got one of their wired Genesis 6-button controllers (for an original Genesis, not a USB device) that I was going to pad-hack one of these days.
Almost looks like they specifically made the PCB to be easy to pad-hack too, since it has nice big test points.
matt

Post by matt »

Well, I'm just stoked that in 2022 I can still buy Saturn and Genesis pads. They're my favorite controllers ever and the ones from Retro Bit have worked great for me.
NYI

Post by NYI »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I'm having a weird problem with two Retro-bit controllers, both are brand new. I have a wireless Genesis and Saturn pad. When playing my model 1 Genesis with a VA-7 motherboard and using the TerraOnion MegaSD, when playing certain Sega CD games, my wireless controller buttons will be messed up. For instance when playing the Sega CD version of Hook, the C button acts as the start button and pauses the game, and the start button does nothing. There is no way to progress in the game because C is supposed to be jump. Both of my controllers do this when trying trying to play via the wireless Genesis dongle. However, playing the regular Genesis version of Hook, the buttons behave correctly. In fact, the buttons behave correctly in all of the Genesis games I've tested, but the Sega CD version of Hook, as well as other Sega CD games will have the C button acting as start. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the Mega SD (I'm not really sure why it would be). I don't have an actual Sega CD unit to use and see if it has the same problem. Or perhaps it's a problem with my model of Sega Genesis VA-7 motherboard. I've updated the dongle with the latest firmware as well. Maybe this has already been talked about, but this thread is pretty long to go through every single post. Still great controllers, but this is so weird for me and I'm completely baffled as to why both controllers behave this way. The controllers work great on my PC as well.
Well, I'd sent another follow-up to Retro-bit about this recently, and I figured I'd let people know what Retro-bit is claiming:

Their response to the email chain from almost 2 years earlier is that the pandemic led to problems as the team tested ways to address the issues, including an update which purportedly includes NSO plus, even though the issue has nothing to do with Switch. They claim "there is an update planned" and will not provide any time frame. I replied that while I understand the pandemic has caused issues and I hope everyone has stayed healthy and safe, in light of the time elapsed of nearly 2 years since the company advised they were "working on a future firmware solution," any kind of time frame would be appreciated in order to show *any* progress whatsoever. Support replied that any information will be shared by the development team on social "media when they feel comfortable and have more information to share with all of our followers at the same time."

So 2 years after the company acknowledged the serious issue affecting Sega CD games, they are somewhere between "nowhere" and "an update may come out during human existence." To me, that is not acceptable support for a product and not befitting of the official Sega license. The original Sega controllers worked with Sega CD without these issues, and I don't think expecting an update to address the issue after 2 years is at all unreasonable.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

I echo your comments completely. I have several Retro Bit controllers. Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, two Tribute 64 controllers (one wireless) and I've used others and they've all been solid. The only issue I have is I use them so much since I do so much retro gaming that I will straight up wear out things like membranes. All I've ever had to do was email Retro bit and tell them what I need and they've mailed out replacement parts, no questions asked.

I may even buy a USB Saturn style controller for a tact switch mod soon.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

jd213 wrote:Does this C button/Start button issue only affect the wireless controllers?
A few months ago I got one of their wired Genesis 6-button controllers (for an original Genesis, not a USB device) that I was going to pad-hack one of these days.
Almost looks like they specifically made the PCB to be easy to pad-hack too, since it has nice big test points.
Well, I pad-hacked it and it seemed to work great, but then right on the D-pad suddenly died (on the controller itself, not my padhack). Only used it for a couple gaming sessions, too.

So much for this POS. At least it was only like $13.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Anybody picking up one of these new "Big6" frankenpads?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've been using the Retrobit 6 button Genesis pad on my PC.
I haven't had any issues with it. However, when playing a game like Thunderforce III, pressing A B and C won't do anything. You just have to hold C to get to the options menu.
I found that to be a bit strange. Other than that, things have gone fine. But who knows what the future may bring?
donluca

Post by donluca »

bigbadboaz wrote:Anybody picking up one of these new "Big6" frankenpads?
I definitely am once those hit Amazon.

The Big6 looks like my dream controller: 3 button size with 6 buttons positioned in the same layout as the 6 button controller.

Not a huge fan of the position of the start button, but I'll live with it.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They're already up on eBay, one seller at $37/free ship.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

bigbadboaz wrote:They're already up on eBay, one seller at $37/free ship.
How is it that eBay sellers (and YouTube reviewers) are getting them before anyone else? I'm one of the first people to pre-order the Big6 (Sega Genesis 9-pin version) from Castlemania games and mine hasn't even shipped yet. I've also checked their pre-order status page on their FAQs and they mention nothing about the shipment status of these controllers, the pre-order pages for them still claims Late-October 2022* for the shipment date for the record, so I wonder what their holdup is. :?

*Yes, I'm fully aware that the date is not a guarantee. I'd just like to know whether or not they have updates related to their shipment of Big6 controllers.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I can't speak to why Retro-Bit hasn't gotten preorders out first (if that's the case). But the best-looking eBay seller here has always had their Sega product new, and in huge volume. They must be one of the closest partners.

As these 2.4 controllers begin to get restocked, RB's own Amazon page has had the older models up sporadically, at the same time they reappeared on eBay. No Big6 yet though, for whatever reason.