Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigbadboaz

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by bigbadboaz »

Following up: does anyone on here use these controllers on PC and not have the battery drain issue?
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

My Saturn Bluetooth skeleton controller arrived at my local shop today. Only played about an hour, never used original Saturn controller. Feels good, shoulder button have tactile and audible click so I’m guess
I have a fairly recent production run. Will be putting it through the paces as I l2p shooters.
I hope it’s one of the good ones people have reported good things about here.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

3rd controller dead after a couple of days with only an hour or so of use on PC. I've asked Retrobit to investigate a potential firmware issue so will see what they say.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

:roll: They'll say jack shit at this pace. Really hope I'm wrong.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

I don't think the rep is coming back. Probably time to reach out on Twitter or via e-mail. Retro-Bit support is great in my experience so reaching out to them directly at current is a better solution to any issues.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

The Zuck wrote:I don't think the rep is coming back. Probably time to reach out on Twitter or via e-mail. Retro-Bit support is great in my experience so reaching out to them directly at current is a better solution to any issues.
They’ve known about the 2.4ghz Saturn controller issues for months and still haven’t fixed it. Now they don’t even respond here, Twitter or elsewhere. That doesn’t qualify as great, good or even acceptable support in my book. More like non existent support.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Sent a follow-up direct mail to the support guy at RB 3 days ago asking them to look into the battery issues and heard nothing yet. So annoyed with this situation. I can't find any comparable 2.4Ghz controller that works on PC (I get a lot of interference issues with bluetooth controllers so the 8-bit do one is out).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I had an issue with the half the dpad not responding on the bt saturn controller. Not a calibration issue. It even stopped working right on Mega Sg and mister. Reset the controller too. I opened it up and saw a possible frayed connection. I contacted retro-bit, but I haven't heard back.
guilton

Post by guilton »

Same problem here with my Saturn Wireless Controler since last usb receiver firmware update. Now i have to manualy click on the usb receiver to connect the controler. There is not previous firmware on retrobit website, there is no update to fix it and retrobit don't answer mails...
guilton

Post by guilton »

Since last usb receiver update my Wireless Sega Saturn controler don't pair automaticely After reboot my pc. I have to clic on sync button on the usb receiver.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Retrobit are sending me a new battery to try. I repeatedly suggested I thought this was a firmware issue and they won't even acknowledge the suggestion.
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

So I’ve used the Saturn Bluetooth through a full charge cycle and it’s still great. I think I got lucky and got a good build. No battery draining issues or anything. For those with battery drain problems are you all using the 2.4GHz version?
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

kwewu wrote:So I’ve used the Saturn Bluetooth through a full charge cycle and it’s still great. I think I got lucky and got a good build. No battery draining issues or anything. For those with battery drain problems are you all using the 2.4GHz version?
Yep, 2.4Ghz on PC seems to be the problem.
Austin

Post by Austin »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:
kwewu wrote:So I’ve used the Saturn Bluetooth through a full charge cycle and it’s still great. I think I got lucky and got a good build. No battery draining issues or anything. For those with battery drain problems are you all using the 2.4GHz version?
Yep, 2.4Ghz on PC seems to be the problem.
I've used the 2.4ghz controller on both the Genesis Mini and the MiSTer and the charge problems persist. It just doesn't want to hold a charge if it's not in use constantly. I've switched to using a wired one for the time being which I don't mind, but it would be nice to have a reliable wireless pad.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

So after waiting a week between replies, I DM'd their Twitter account again to see if I could get someone else to contact me as the previous guy was just so unresponsive and we were still no further along solving this issue. They apologised but said they were a small team and "had much to do in our current lead up for releases" which really rubbed me up the wrong way. I don't care about your new releases, Retrobit. I just want some damn support for a product you already sell and I already paid for. The contact at Retrobit (seems like a 3rd party handle their 'support' and you can't actually speak to RB themselves) emailed me back shortly after. Basically, the battery they said they'd send out to me (pointless waste of both our time) hasn't been sent and they still won't tell me if they can or cannot reproduce the issue internally. The continued insistence on this not being a software issue (despite having 3 identical controllers and proving the battery doesn't drain if the dongle is unplugged) is just so... weird. Honestly, bugs happen. I don't care. Replicate it, acknowledge it and fix it. No problem.

Any way, I've had enough. I'll be returning it and won't be dealing with them again.Telling me they're busy with new releases was the final straw.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:Any way, I've had enough. I'll be returning it and won't be dealing with them again.Telling me they're busy with new releases was the final straw.
I'm right there with you. Never again will I purchase from Retro-Bit due to their total lack of customer support.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The saddest thing about this is, they made real strides in quality as far as actual design and build goes with this line. To now shoot themselves in the foot by not simply supporting the customers they've gained.. :?:
mario64

Post by mario64 »

bigbadboaz wrote:The saddest thing about this is, they made real strides in quality as far as actual design and build goes with this line. To now shoot themselves in the foot by not simply supporting the customers they've gained.. :?:
Exactly
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I recommend the Genesis BT over the Saturn one. I'm under the impression (from both my own experience and with reviews on amazon) that the d-pad on the Saturn version is prone to failure and I'm not sure if the issue was ever fixed. They also went back to using a screw for the d-pad for some reason. This is a separate issue from the battery issue with the 2.4g version.

I'm also hoping to hear more about the Toaplan games. They were delayed to a more generic Q1/Q2 date, though part (but not all since Castlemania hasn't shipped them yet either, AFAIK) of that is on Limited Run and their insistence of putting even more stuff on preorder.

I also noticed something odd with the latest DB9 Genesis pad from Retro-bit. It works fine on the actual system (AFAIK) and mega sg, but doesn't like the raphnet or 2660-daptor D9 adapter, though the earlier cool blue controller works fine with the raphnet adapter.

edit: Both of the older retro-bit DB9 Genesis controllers work with the 2600-daptor DB9 and the raphnet adapter. Not sure why the new one has issues. I should test it with Forgotten Worlds on the model one Genesis (back home, yay!) and see what happens.
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

Excited for their Dreamcast 6-button with saturn D-Pad

And their dual stick saturn
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I've had the Retro-Bit Official Sega Saturn USB Controller Pad (Model 2) controller for a few weeks. I like it, especially the D-pad. Works as is on PC and Switch and a UCB-C adapter lets it work on Switch when in portable mode. Worked on my Astro City Mini with Magic NS set to white flashing mode. [edit: Hold Start+B for 5 seconds to swap between D-input and X-input if not working. No indicator, just count to 5, let go, then controller will work!] If you have Amazon / Twitch Prime games, pro move is to load them in Steam to use its button mapping. Then can load game again whichever way you want and mapping remains intact.

Good news is that Z+C is ZL+RL to bring up the save state menu and rewind in the bundled NES and SNES games. YXBALR are YXBALR on SNES, meaning Y switches location with X and B with A from a real SNES controller.[ edit: The actual instruction sheet says to hold Start+Down for 5 seconds to swap A-B and X-Y and it worked! Buttons mappable in some games as well but not for Z or C.] Can't remap with Switch option either.

Downside is you don't have a Select button. This matters in Super Metroid where you have to give up Angle Up or Angle Down to map the Item Select and Deselect because you can't use Start. Matters in River City Ransom on NES and I assume a few other games. Holding the small concave Y button to run in Super Mario World feels a little weird but I doubt an issue if you didn't play the game as a kid.

I'm happy with my purchase and recommend the controller to others. Just know the limitation of no Select button on Switch. No noticeable lag on anything. The amazing D-pad is why you're buying this.
Last edited by NewSchoolBoxer on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

So looks like it's going to be difficult to return this damn controller so I'm stuck with it. Currently experimenting with changing a bios setting to ensure USB ports *aren't* powered when the system is off (most boards default to keeping power). This should at least stop it from draining when the system is off.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:So looks like it's going to be difficult to return this damn controller so I'm stuck with it. Currently experimenting with changing a bios setting to ensure USB ports *aren't* powered when the system is off (most boards default to keeping power). This should at least stop it from draining when the system is off.
Well, so much for that idea. Didn't work.

I know it's a pain but it would be good if others who have the battery issue could also email RB. That way it's not just me ranting for a fix. Thanks.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They just don't care, dude. People posting here don't seem to read further back than five posts, but if you read through the thread there's been very little fixing going on. Even when the RB guy was actually interacting here, it was a whole lot of politely worded PR responses, with very little real action. Multiple members brought the battery issue up shortly after the 2.4 controllers launched.

They know it isn't just you looking for a fix on the controller you paid good money for. They just don't give a shit.

Like they told you.. they have new (undercooked) products they're trying to get out the door.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

bigbadboaz wrote:They just don't care, dude. People posting here don't seem to read further back than five posts, but if you read through the thread there's been very little fixing going on. Even when the RB guy was actually interacting here, it was a whole lot of politely worded PR responses, with very little real action. Multiple members brought the battery issue up shortly after the 2.4 controllers launched.

They know it isn't just you looking for a fix on the controller you paid good money for. They just don't give a shit.

Like they told you.. they have new (undercooked) products they're trying to get out the door.
You're probably right :(

New batteries arrived and fitted. Lets see how long it lasts.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Unsurprisingly the new battery didn't make a difference. RB followed up with this response
I've shared your feedback with the team. Unfortunately, during our checks, we didn't encounter any consistent power drain unless the receiver itself was fully powered. Most PCs didn't have this issue either even with the PC in sleep mode (USB receiver still blinking) other than our Raspberry Pi unit (which we are investigating). I would love to continue troubleshooting with you but I'm unsure what would be the issue that continues causing this as we haven't been able to replicate with the same process as yourself across a variety of consoles and PCs.

Our development team has been working on a full shut off mode for our 2.4 GHz controllers. However, as this would mean releasing firmware for the controller itself (which we have not done yet) we are looking at addressing other minor issues before this is released. I don't have a timeline as of yet but I hope we can address this issue. I'm sorry for all the hassle and I thank you for your continues patience.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:Unsurprisingly the new battery didn't make a difference. RB followed up with this response
I've shared your feedback with the team. Unfortunately, during our checks, we didn't encounter any consistent power drain unless the receiver itself was fully powered. Most PCs didn't have this issue either even with the PC in sleep mode (USB receiver still blinking) other than our Raspberry Pi unit (which we are investigating). I would love to continue troubleshooting with you but I'm unsure what would be the issue that continues causing this as we haven't been able to replicate with the same process as yourself across a variety of consoles and PCs.

Our development team has been working on a full shut off mode for our 2.4 GHz controllers. However, as this would mean releasing firmware for the controller itself (which we have not done yet) we are looking at addressing other minor issues before this is released. I don't have a timeline as of yet but I hope we can address this issue. I'm sorry for all the hassle and I thank you for your continues patience.
Don't hold your breath on them releasing a firmware update...
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

Just a little update. Since I was happy with my first controller I ordered a second.
Shortly after the second arrived the first ones dpad (down direction) broke. I sent an email to retrobit and they said they’d send a replacement dpad out to fix it. A few days later and the second dpad broke (left direction this time). Before I got an email together to tell retrobit a second dpad had failed the package came with two replacement dpad actuators. Both have now been replaced and seem to be working just fine. The original actuators were black and the new ones are an opaque white. Both are skeleton gray and I’ve had no complaints in the 30 hours or so with each other than the dpad failing. If this fixes it and a few charge cycles down the line I still have working controllers I’ll be pretty happy with the purchase. (Bluetooth controllers so no worry of that battery drain 2.4GHz users are suffering).
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Thought I'd post this here to just a search term for it: I bought a Saturn Bluetooth to use with my Legends Gamer Pro and after fiddling a while I got it connected 100% using the Mac bluetooth pairing method.

also re: black vs white d pad levers - natural nylon is that white color and additives (the black) can make it more brittle. This isn't a de facto reasoning about their failure, but a possibility. Glad to see they're molding in white nylon now.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I bought a genesis one awhile back. It fucking sucks. Back in the box.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee