Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guardian's Heart

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Guardian's Heart »

Retro-Bit wrote:Allow us to address the misconception that ALL Saturn USB pads from the first wave have bad DPads. I am being totally transparent here in that the amount of issues reported has significantly gone down since we've addressed this issue with our factory back in April, but those that did have issues was still a small fraction of the overall "affected" units. I hope that social media and online posts that are quick to point to this issue would also point out that we continue to support any resolution to people's problems, whether it is a DPad issue or anything else. We appreciate everyone that has done so, especially those that frequent this forum!

With that said, as is the same with anyone else, we are still honoring replacements for your units. If you're handy with a screwdriver, we can send you replacement DPad actuators at no cost the next time our time is in the office. Just shoot an e-mail to info@retro-bit.com if you need them or have any other issues. Please include any information about the issue you're dealing with and we will try to respond within the next few business days :)
Understood.

I am quite handy with various tools (especially when it comes to repairing Saturn pads), so I'm certain that we'll things sorted. Thank you so much for the prompt and thorough correspondence. You have clearly shown the sincere willingness to look out for your customers.

Hoping to make another order very soon!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Einzelherz wrote:And the majority of others just want a controller that works well. Bummer that you can't get over the color of a tool you can't even see while you're using it.
donluca wrote:Who said he'll use it? He just wants it so he can show it on his shelf along with his Saturn!
/s
I'm sorry, was I being jerky by pointing out why I wouldn't buy a product for a specific reason? A reason that I didn't even have to go back more than ONE page on a 10 page topic to find TWO other people who think the same exact way I do? ...And/or was I somehow (without my knowledge) inferring that I don't actually play games and just like to stare at controllers on a shelf?

Just like why I don't own a Retron 5 clone system, or even a Genesis 3, SNES mini, PS2 Slim, PSOne, etc. – because I've never, ever seen any of those weird non-original console versions growing up, so when I want to switch over to wireless controllers I likewise want to get as close as possible to the original for the sake of nostalgia. This means matching up the looks, the color, and yes *gasp* even the transparency of the case as close as I can because because that makes it all the more nostalgic to me.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

You never ever saw a 2.4ghz wireless Saturn controller either, so you probably shouldn't get this one.

Otoh there were black IR wireless controllers back then. I'd check ebay.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Dochartaigh wrote:
I just went to pre-order the Saturn one....and then didn't because of the above. People who research then dish out money on things like this are usually looking for something as close to their original controller as possible....which is black, NOT see-through.
I guess you’re not cool enough to know about these:
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Einzelherz wrote:You never ever saw a 2.4ghz wireless Saturn controller either, so you probably shouldn't get this one.
opt2not wrote:I guess you’re not cool enough to know about these:

You both (hopefully) know that I (and the others) are talking about regular USA/NTSC run of the mill Saturns which have black opaque controllers. Retro-Bit is even making the bluetooth versions with the black shell...makes no sense to not offer the 2.4ghz (with assumably less lag) with the same black shell - that's all I'm saying.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:You never ever saw a 2.4ghz wireless Saturn controller either, so you probably shouldn't get this one.
opt2not wrote:I guess you’re not cool enough to know about these:

You both (hopefully) know that I (and the others) are talking about regular USA/NTSC run of the mill Saturns which have black opaque controllers. Retro-Bit is even making the bluetooth versions with the black shell...makes no sense to not offer the 2.4ghz (with assumably less lag) with the same black shell - that's all I'm saying.
Well, the transparent black is also “original”...but yes, we all share your disappointment.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

I think any disappointment is simply due to the fact the Sega Saturn was only released in black in the US and Europe, and people like things to match so of course they would prefer a matching black 2.4G controller. Its less that they hate the other colors available, but more disappointment that the standard black color isn't one of the options, especially when the other models (Original plug, USB, Bluetooth) are all available in black. I'm sure Retro-Bit will consider making black 2.4G controllers available in the future though.
Last edited by Link83 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Two ways these sentiments could have been made:

The adult way - "retro bit, are there plans to make the 2.4ghz wireless Saturn controller in black? I'm very interested in it but would prefer the original color."

The way it's often been in this thread - "I'm never buying this good product cause it should've been black and any other color is stupid."
Kez

Post by Kez »

Einzelherz wrote:Two ways these sentiments could have been made:

The adult way - "retro bit, are there plans to make the 2.4ghz wireless Saturn controller in black? I'm very interested in it but would prefer the original color."

The way it's often been in this thread - "I'm never buying this good product cause it should've been black and any other color is stupid."
The only disproportionate response here is from you, people are expressing their sentiments in a perfectly reasonable way for a forum discussion. Your apparent offense at this is baffling.

Personally I'm gonna launch a hate campaign against Retro-Bit if these controllers aren't made available in diarrhoea brown to match my Japanese model 1 immediately.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I honestly do not care what color the controller is, I just want a super low lag or no lag 2.4ghz wireless controller for my Saturn.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

FAXME wrote:Can I run multiple 2.4g Saturn controllers on the PC with one receiver (ie in the same style as Xbox controllers work)? I'm after a decent and practical PC couch co op solution.

Thanks
I'm not sure I understand. It's one controller to one receiver. You can have multiple controllers and receivers connected to the same console (we did 8-man Smash Ultimate on the Switch with 8 of them, haha). They work swimmingly on PC.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Are the wired USB pads designed for 1000Hz polling [on Windows]? If not, what's the number?

Also, reminder that these are prohibitively expensive second-hand. There has to be a lot of interest in a re-issue:
(for Playstation 1/2)

Thanks.
I'm not sure what the numbers are but I will ask our dev team what they are. As for PS1/PS2, there may be another 3rd party option in the future via a dongle like Brook. However, you never know what might happen later on. :)

Regarding 2.4 GHz Saturn Black Controllers: We will be looking into it after we release within the next few weeks. Our team is hard at work on hitting these deadlines prior to what is going to be a very busy holiday season so we might not be able to get to it until the new year. As we stated before, the response to the previous wired releases showed the black Saturn controllers to be the least popular out of all four. We don't intend to marginalize those who want to own a black version but we have heard people's demands and sought to address those who wanted different color options first. We are definitely listening to your constructive feedback on color options and ideas and we appreciate you all taking the time to communicate this to us. :)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I guess what most people are confused over is why offer it in black with the bluetooth version then? Why weren't those only available in weird colors?

If you are taking requests I'd love one (in the weird color) of grey to match the OG Japan Saturn.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm being told that Bluetooth SEGA controllers will be mid-November and 2.4 GHz will be late November. Europe will receive theirs a not long after.
After Retro-Bit's posting only a few days ago, I didn't expect these in the mail yet, but Amazon (.de that is) delivered the transparent blue MD 2.4G version today along with the Saturn 2.4G ones one in blue and smoke. The black MD one is on route as well - should be here tomorrow or the day after.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Fudoh wrote:
I'm being told that Bluetooth SEGA controllers will be mid-November and 2.4 GHz will be late November. Europe will receive theirs a not long after.
After Retro-Bit's posting only a few days ago, I didn't expect these in the mail yet, but Amazon (.de that is) delivered the transparent blue MD 2.4G version today along with the Saturn 2.4G ones one in blue and smoke. The black MD one is on route as well - should be here tomorrow or the day after.
Yep! Can confirm. We received word from our suppliers that they had arrived and were already shipping out for Europe.

As for North America, we just got our shipment here not long ago. Castlemania should be able to get orders out this week/next week as soon as he gets them. Excitement! Let us know what you think! :D

Strider77 wrote:I guess what most people are confused over is why offer it in black with the bluetooth version then? Why weren't those only available in weird colors?
If you are taking requests I'd love one (in the weird color) of grey to match the OG Japan Saturn.
I've addressed this already. :)

Basically, Bluetooth development began much earlier because of the various licenses and approvals needed. We had the colors and designs finalized earlier this year before we had even gotten these into production. Hence why their colors mirror our original wired releases. While we did begin development on 2.4 Ghz wireless earlier this year, we were able to develop and update throughout the year and after the launch of our wired controllers. We made a decision based on feedback from our wired releases and saw the poor performance of Black Saturn controllers and the really high amount of Slate Grey Saturn and Clear Blue Genesis/MD controllers selling.

As for matching the Japan grey Saturn, it would be cool! We have several options floating around... we may need to take a poll and see what we do next.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The Japanese grey and white would indeed be logical next choices if you can make a business case for covering all the versions.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Has anyone gone for the pink controllers?
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

I would definitely like Grey and White.
I dislike the ugly black controllers Sega had back then.
FAXME

Post by FAXME »

Can I run multiple 2.4g Saturn controllers on the PC with one receiver (ie in the same style as Xbox controllers work)? I'm after a decent and practical PC couch co op solution.

Thanks
Retro-Bit wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. It's one controller to one receiver. You can have multiple controllers and receivers connected to the same console (we did 8-man Smash Ultimate on the Switch with 8 of them, haha). They work swimmingly on PC.

What I mean is: Can I for example run 4 controllers to just one receiver on the PC so I don't have to take up 4 USB ports? ....It seems like this should be possible (that there is easily the bandwidth) given that the Xbox One receiver for PC can work with 4 pads, so can my ancient 360 PC receiver. 4 pads to 4 receivers seems a bit clumsy and impractical.

Thanks again
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Retro-Bit wrote:
As for North America, we just got our shipment here not long ago. Castlemania should be able to get orders out this week/next week as soon as he gets them. Excitement! Let us know what you think! :D
Does this mean they should be up for order on Amazon.com in the US soon?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

FAXME wrote:What I mean is: Can I for example run 4 controllers to just one receiver on the PC so I don't have to take up 4 USB ports? ....It seems like this should be possible (that there is easily the bandwidth) given that the Xbox One receiver for PC can work with 4 pads, so can my ancient 360 PC receiver. 4 pads to 4 receivers seems a bit clumsy and impractical.
Thanks again
No, our receivers are only able to sync to one signal at a time. We're a small company so we can only hope to do what a company like Microsoft does. :)

Johnpv wrote:Does this mean they should be up for order on Amazon.com in the US soon?
Yep! We will post on social media when they go live. We'll be updating our site with links once we get the green light from our Amazon partner.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Retro-Bit, there is also another way to solve this color dilemma. Take that awesome transparent blue and make new cases for the Sega Saturn. Then everything would match for those who want things to match. Perfect solution! :lol:
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

PearlJammzz wrote:Retro-Bit, there is also another way to solve this color dilemma. Take that awesome transparent blue and make new cases for the Sega Saturn. Then everything would match for those who want things to match. Perfect solution! :lol:
Oh, we wish we could do that. Baby steps!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Where is the Saturn BT receiver? The controller is of no use on the original console without it.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

mario64 wrote:Where is the Saturn BT receiver? The controller is of no use on the original console without it.
The Bluetooth receivers for Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn will be released late November or early December. They're being finalized. :)
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

mario64 wrote:Where is the Saturn BT receiver? The controller is of no use on the original console without it.
Using BT and 2.4ghz wireless receivers on the SNES I don't know if I'd ever get another BT controller for use on a retro console again. They work great for modern games where that lag is expected but it sucks on pretty much anything non-RPG. I highly recommend the 2.4ghz options if you want wireless.
SLS4001SS

Post by SLS4001SS »

I bought the saturn controller that isn't compatible with the switch last month and the dpad doesn't feel good for the left direction and the shoulder buttons are garbage. Does the newer switch compatible saturn controller fix the dpad and shoulder buttons?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

PearlJammzz wrote:
Using BT and 2.4ghz wireless receivers on the SNES I don't know if I'd ever get another BT controller for use on a retro console again. They work great for modern games where that lag is expected but it sucks on pretty much anything non-RPG. I highly recommend the 2.4ghz options if you want wireless.
I'd gladly purchase the 2.4ghz model if it were available in black to match my console
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm under the impression that 8bitdo's BT has more lag than the Switch Pro Controller (after the latest update) and the PS4 controller (when used on PS4 or PC with BT).
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

The 2.4 GHz controllers are up on Amazon now. I'm tempted to buy one, but considering that I already own 2 Joyzz pads for my Genesis, I will wait to see some reviews first.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Genesis one for use with the Genesis Mini. Like you, I've got a Joyzz that I've been happy with on the original console.

I was disappointed to see that the Saturn Slate Grey isn't in stock yet. I'll be picking up one of those. I'm looking forward to trying it with my Super Gun as well.