Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Konsolkongen »

I wrote Retro-Bit about the faulty D-pad on my USB Saturn controller a while ago, and they were kind enough to send me a replacement controller instead of just the D-pad actuator :)
The problem with the old one was that the plastic was slightly bend, making the directions on the D-pad feel different to press.

I promised Retro-Bit that I would update my thoughts on the pad once I received the new one, so here goes.
Right out of the box the D-pad was awful. Not much better than the other one, that I managed to improve drastically with a hot air station and a sharp blade.

So I figured it might was well open this one up too and have a look. As I had hoped there was no bend on the actuator, but it did have the same sharp piece of plastic on one of the ends that causes the D-pad to press unevenly on the rubber pads.

After cutting that off the D-pad is now alright. I still think it feels off compared to an original Saturn-controller, and their Mega Drive controllers are better too for sure. But it's alright and usable, and probably still better than any d-pad on modern day consoles.

The buttons are great. Really good, just like the first one I got, no complaints here.

The shoulder buttons on these Saturn controllers aren't very good like we already discussed. But the L button is actually pretty decent on this one, and the R button is really bad. This is caused by the chosen tact switches, and is as far as I can tell not a problem with moulds or assembly. I wish they had used the same tact switches they used in the MD USB pads. They are pretty good :)

So in case anyone want to fix their Saturn controller here's how you remove the D-pad without breaking the actuator.

1. Use a pair of sprudgers or similar to get underneath the actuators from opposite sides and apply force evenly. The actuator will shoot off pretty easily without bending the plastic.
Spoiler
2. This is the protruding piece of plastic that will need to be removed:
Spoiler
3. Lay it down flat on a surface and use a sharp blade to cut along the edge of the actuator to cleanly remove the piece. The D-pad should now work much better.
Spoiler
For the record, I've not noticed any such problems with the D-pads on their Mega Drive-controllers. The problem I had there was the stiffness of the rubber pads in one controller.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

So are they using screws in some Saturn pads but not others, or had you already removed the screw before taking the above photos?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

? the controller is opened in that picture, so yes I removed the screws :)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

No.. as noted earlier, previous dissected (broken) Saturn pads had a screw holding the D-Pad assembly together, which was most definitely not present in the original controllers. So it sounds like this was not the case on your new one?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I had not seen that. That definitely is weird. None of mine have that screw.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Fwiw that looks like a spider, the link between different parts in a multi chamber mold cavity that the plastic flows through. Their assemblers should be knocking them off or they should've been designed to be non-intrusive.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wow.. so we're not only seeing large manufacturing variance, but different actual assembly methods from batch to batch.

Not encouraging.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

bigbadboaz wrote:Wow.. so we're not only seeing large manufacturing variance, but different actual assembly methods from batch to batch.

Not encouraging.
Nah, this is all normal variance in a single plant.

One machine can have error. One person can have error. That's why tolerance exists.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The large difference in Genesis pads two posters have already described, plus some D-Pad assemblies needing SCREWS to hold them together vs. others that need nothing at all.. no, this is not within normal tolerances. Certainly not in the premium/first-party product tier these reproductions were supposed to fall into.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Sure it is. Revisions and Band-Aids happen all the time in production.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

Hey Retro Bit, if you guys are still watching this thread, I'd like to know when you plan to release Saturn controller extension cables. We need them, there are no currently produced extension cables of useable quality from any other manufacturer.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Hey all,

Apologies as it's been a very VERY busy few months. I will try to address what I can. As always, if you have any pending questions feel free to poke us on social or info@retro-bit.com :D

Saturn Extension Cables
Currently, they are on our list but were not a priority (we made the cables 10ft/3m long). But I will check with our Development team and add any new info if there is any.

Revisions to Controller builds
Manufacturing changes happen to many products all the time. It can be as small as the carboard makeup of packaging to something more significant like wiring. The only new significant update is the new Switch compatible USB SEGA Genesis and Saturn controllers that will be hitting the market and these will replace the mostly sold-out USB Controllers that are not Switch compatible. The boards are updated and include macros for Switch as well as a few other changes. In part because of their popularity, we have had to up our manufacturing quantities and we know some products may come out improperly. We will continue to address those issues and we appreciate all the feedback from the community as we hope to reduce these issues going forward.

Genesis Controllers
There are very little differences between a new Original SEGA Genesis controller and a new Retro-Bit Genesis controller. We have heard people saying that there are differences but on our end, they are very minor. The PCB is updated, the cable is longer, and some of the switches were updated. Otherwise, we used the same materials and molds. A new Retro-Bit SEGA controller will not feel the same as a 25+year-old original controller. As far as any issues go, we will continue to address them and do our best to find a solution! Again, please e-mail us and we can get the ball rolling. :)

Replacement Small Parts
If you're good with a screwdriver, we are happy to send replacement actuators. We are working on getting replacement contact pads but if you require any of those, please let us know. :D
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thank you for updating. I have been critical of some of the quality issues but it is good to see you active and responsive here.

Isn't it.. rather disappointing, at best, for your early adopters to see Switch support added added after the very first run of USB pads? With that kind of timeframe wouldn't it have better to have delayed launch one final time and put out a feature-complete product to begin with?

Are you able to update at all on wireless versions? Current release timeframe, perhaps? And the extent of plans for console dongles - other systems beyond native Sega machines, Classic Mini consoles, generic USB..?
donluca

Post by donluca »

Retro-Bit wrote:The only new significant update is the new Switch compatible USB SEGA Genesis and Saturn controllers that will be hitting the market and these will replace the mostly sold-out USB Controllers that are not Switch compatible. The boards are updated and include macros for Switch as well as a few other changes. In part because of their popularity, we have had to up our manufacturing quantities and we know some products may come out improperly. We will continue to address those issues and we appreciate all the feedback from the community as we hope to reduce these issues going forward.
This is amazing! One of my gamecube controllers are slowly crumbling into dust and I needed a good replacement!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:Thank you for updating. I have been critical of some of the quality issues but it is good to see you active and responsive here.

Isn't it.. rather disappointing, at best, for your early adopters to see Switch support added after the very first run of USB pads? With that kind of timeframe wouldn't it have better to have delayed launch one final time and put out a feature-complete product, to begin with?

Are you able to update at all on wireless versions? Current release timeframe, perhaps? And the extent of plans for console dongles - other systems beyond native Sega machines, Classic Mini consoles, generic USB..?
We understand some early adopters would feel that way. We aren't increasing the price on the USB Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn controllers for that reason. The timeframe that was given to us for all the approvals, testing and preparing new boards meant we would have needed to delay much longer. It is because of the amazing response and demand from the community that we were finally able to push through and get them Switch compatible.

Here is what I can share for the wireless controllers (keep in mind, things can always change):

2.4 GHz Wireless Controllers
Genesis/MD (Black, Smoke, and Clear Blue)
Saturn (Slate Grey, and Clear Blue)
Will come in a box packages with a USB and an OG port receiver. All 2.4 GHz receivers are Retro-Bit universal.

Bluetooth Wireless Controllers
Genesis/MD (Black, Clear Blue)
Saturn (Black, Slate Grey)
Bluetooth receivers will be sold separately (USB and Original Port). Bluetooth receivers will be Retro-Bit universal.

We hope to announce more news regarding the compatibility soon. We are still aiming for September/October for these controllers.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Retro-Bit wrote: 2.4 GHz ..
Will come in a box packages with a USB and an OG port receiver.

We are still aiming for September/October for these controllers.
Okay, this sounds quite fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them.

(last suggestion.. I hope you guys will work on making small dongles. 8bitdo's ruin the aesthetic completely.. other companies have already shown there's no reason for them to be so obtrusive - at least the 2.4g ones)
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Thank you for updating. I have been critical of some of the quality issues but it is good to see you active and responsive here.

Isn't it.. rather disappointing, at best, for your early adopters to see Switch support added after the very first run of USB pads? With that kind of timeframe wouldn't it have better to have delayed launch one final time and put out a feature-complete product, to begin with?

We understand some early adopters would feel that way. We aren't increasing the price on the USB Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn controllers for that reason. The timeframe that was given to us for all the approvals, testing and preparing new boards meant we would have needed to delay much longer. It is because of the amazing response and demand from the community that we were finally able to push through and get them Switch compatible.

Here is what I can share for the wireless controllers (keep in mind, things can always change):

2.4 GHz Wireless Controllers
Genesis/MD (Black, Smoke, and Clear Blue)
Saturn (Slate Grey, and Clear Blue)
Will come in a box packages with a USB and an OG port receiver. All 2.4 GHz receivers are Retro-Bit universal.

Bluetooth Wireless Controllers
Genesis/MD (Black, Clear Blue)
Saturn (Black, Slate Grey)
Bluetooth receivers will be sold separately (USB and Original Port). Bluetooth receivers will be Retro-Bit universal.

We hope to announce more news regarding the compatibility soon. We are still aiming for September/October for these controllers.
Will the Saturn controllers replicate the original design or have analog thumb sticks tacked on? I hope the former
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

mario64 wrote:We hope to announce more news regarding the compatibility soon. We are still aiming for September/October for these controllers.
Will the Saturn controllers replicate the original design or have analog thumb sticks tacked on? I hope the former[/quote]

The Saturn ones will retain their original design with the inclusion of Home and Select buttons. The thumbstick design we showed off at CES is still in development.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote: 2.4 GHz ..
Will come in a box packages with a USB and an OG port receiver.

We are still aiming for September/October for these controllers.
Okay, this sounds quite fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them.

(last suggestion.. I hope you guys will work on making small dongles. 8bitdo's ruin the aesthetic completely.. other companies have already shown there's no reason for them to be so obtrusive - at least the 2.4g ones)
From the designs I've seen, they are rather slim for the 2.4 GHz. For the USB Bluetooth, it will be a bit bigger to allow for fireware updates.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:The Saturn ones will retain their original design with the inclusion of Home and Select buttons. The thumbstick design we showed off at CES is still in development.
Great to hear! Thank you
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I really love that Retrobit takes the time to come respond here, but what's the deal with the Saturn controllers still being off, is this something that won't be changed or is Retrobit still looking into it? I read bad reviews about the dpad being different in places like here and elsewhere and have been holding off from buying some in hopes these get addressed without having to spend time working on the insides to improve performance.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Taiyaki wrote:I really love that Retrobit takes the time to come respond here, but what's the deal with the Saturn controllers still being off, is this something that won't be changed or is Retrobit still looking into it? I read bad reviews about the dpad being different in places like here and elsewhere and have been holding off from buying some in hopes these get addressed without having to spend time working on the insides to improve performance.
A small quantity of first wave Saturn pads had a small flaw in it that we've since addressed and have been offering replacements to those who received them. Additionally, we've updated our supplies for most of our vendors. We do try to minimize users needing to open up our products but we understand our customers tend to be the DIY retro gamers and so we offer those the replacement parts so they can do the repairs themselves.

It's a shame that a lot of these bad reviews do not do follow-ups after we have addressed and/or fixed their controllers for them. But that isn't something we can force on them. The bad ones tend to be more vocal and get more views/responses. We can only do our best to address any issues our users may experience. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

You were kind enough to send me a replacement Saturn controller instead of the actuator part. Unfortunately I did not find the quality of this ones D-pad to be satisfactory either, as you can see in my post at the top of this page.

I appreciate the customer support, and I may just have been unlucky twice, but as far as the USB Saturn controllers goes I had to do DIY repairs on both of them. Maybe you mistakenly shipped me another one from the early batch? :)

To be honest I personally don't mind too much. I take my stuff apart all the time. If this is just a super rare occurrence that I get two D-pads with excess plastic needing to be cut, then better me than someone who isn't capable of fixing this themselves.

I'll stop complaining now. I really expected these controllers to be priced much higher than they are, so I think that's worth taking into consideration. I would like to see an updated version of the Saturn controller with the tact switches used in the USB Mega Drive ones as these seem much better to me :)

Can you tell us how the Switch button mapping is laid out? :)
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Konsolkongen wrote:Can you tell us how the Switch button mapping is laid out? :)
We will have the instruction manuals posted on our site in the near future.

For the Switch, all the face buttons match up (A = A, etc) with the exceptions being:

Z = ZL
C = ZR
Start = Plus ( + )
Start + A = Home
Start + X = Minus ( - )

There are also macros specifically for the Switch:

Hold for 5 seconds Up + Start = DPad input
Hold for 5 seconds Left + Start = Left analog
Hold for 5 seconds Right + Start = Right analog
Hold for 5 seconds Down + Start = Swaps A/B and X/Y
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Sounds great! Glad that there is an option to swap A/B and X/Y as I could see this being weird in some games :)

EDIT: What does the Mode button do on the Mega Drive version? :)
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

2.4ghz Wireless Saturn pads, where and when can I pre-order one??!!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Konsolkongen wrote:What does the Mode button do on the Mega Drive version? :)
It acts as the minus button.
Johnpv wrote:2.4ghz Wireless Saturn pads, where and when can I pre-order one??!!
We will have more information on that soon. As to where, we haven't finalized that just yet.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

How can we tell the Switch compatible ones apart from the old ones when ordering online? Will they have different names or boxes?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Konsolkongen wrote:How can we tell the Switch compatible ones apart from the old ones when ordering online? Will they have different names or boxes?
The packaging indicates if it is Switch compatible. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thanks. I’ll definitely pick up a Mega Drive version for Sonic Mania on my Switch :)