Any reason to buy an original Xbox in 2019?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Any reason to buy an original Xbox in 2019?

Post by maxtherabbit »

Classicgamer wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:@classicgamer

here's a listing I found of someone selling the same YPbPr -> RGB transcoder I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VDigi-VD-Z3-CO ... 3771553687

it's an auction, but the starting price is really low and no bids yet

this transcoder is pretty nice, no black crush and no lag - it also can do RGBS or RGBHV depending on a DIP switch setting

480i (and 240p!) works, but only in RGBS mode
Do you consider it to be a quality product? If so, I'll try and see if I can grab it at a low ball price if there is no reserve.
I used it for a long time playing xbox on a VGA CRT when the original xbox was commercially relevant, never had a complaint.

Recently I pulled it out again for a quick battery of tests to verify it was lag free and did not crush blacks - it passed both of those metrics, but I did not really run it through a full gauntlet of IQ tests.

Quick visual inspection shows it looking fine to me - I can't vouch 100% for the color accuracy though. If you can get it cheap I'd recommend giving it a shot
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Classicgamer wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
hmm. wondering if this might address an old issue i had with a PS2>Extron>PVM-2030 where i get like four lines of horizontal tearing at the top of the screen. i never did figure out how to get that right, and it isn't perfectly centered if just patch the PS2 to the PVM

would you happen to know what this is intended to correct?
Tearing is not a transcoder related issue. It's a scaling / frame rate issue. E.g. You don't get tearing when you run Groovymame on a crt because it matches the original refresh rate. If you are not changing the res and refresh rate then it should not happen.

it only happens when i run my PlayStation through my extron 203 in order to get the centering functionality out the adsp. it's not scaling anything. there's something about adsp that is causing the issue. it's loss of horz sync or something.
the ttl to 75 ohm dongle.was just a stab in the dark, it probably won't help
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ki0mIeIbHP

This guy provides great visuals on the OG XBOX.
I just bought my first one 2 months ago off the strength of this playlist.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

DJ Kevgeez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ki0mIeIbHP

That was a great video.

I remember playing my buddy’s soft mod XBMC and was stoked until I played Mario bros 3 on his xbox.

The input lag was terrible. Granted this was 2007 and the scene has made improvements since then.

It is still a great tool for backups, custom video options, and even custom led controllers.
Copyright 1987
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Hoagtech wrote:
DJ Kevgeez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ki0mIeIbHP

That was a great video.

I remember playing my buddy’s soft mod XBMC and was stoked until I played Mario bros 3 on his xbox.

The input lag was terrible. Granted this was 2007 and the scene has made improvements since then.

It is still a great tool for backups, custom video options, and even custom led controllers.
agree on the lag. i remember playing my roommates soft mod xbox around then, and it was good for jrpg stuff. i played a bunch of those that i missed in the 90's on it like chrono trigger. anything that lag isn't much of an issue
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I ordered an original Xbox for $27. It really is a great time to be a classic gamer.

I just found a working one with a PSU as I already have an Xbox compatible controller and I'm not going to use any of the composite video cables.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Classicgamer wrote:It really is a great time to be a classic gamer.
Definitely. So many AV improvements, access to entire game libraries etc
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

also, check thrift store bins for Xbox controllers. i see them all the time
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:@classicgamer

here's a listing I found of someone selling the same YPbPr -> RGB transcoder I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VDigi-VD-Z3-CO ... 3771553687

it's an auction, but the starting price is really low and no bids yet

this transcoder is pretty nice, no black crush and no lag - it also can do RGBS or RGBHV depending on a DIP switch setting

480i (and 240p!) works, but only in RGBS mode
Do you consider it to be a quality product? If so, I'll try and see if I can grab it at a low ball price if there is no reserve.
I used it for a long time playing xbox on a VGA CRT when the original xbox was commercially relevant, never had a complaint.

Recently I pulled it out again for a quick battery of tests to verify it was lag free and did not crush blacks - it passed both of those metrics, but I did not really run it through a full gauntlet of IQ tests.

Quick visual inspection shows it looking fine to me - I can't vouch 100% for the color accuracy though. If you can get it cheap I'd recommend giving it a shot
I'll have to try this one transcoder I noticed this recently.

I've had bad luck with the ones i've tried.

Mayflash model - awful quality. Either the circuit is designed poorly or the low quality PSU introduces a ton of noise into the image and warping of the image near the edges. Treats 720x480p properly, but higher resolutions get pretty distorted.

Generic Monoprice one - accepts 720x480 but outputs only 640x480 and the image is smaller and loses a lot of definition. Still some noise and I think issues with higher resolutions as inputs and also scaling 480p to higher resolutions looking blurry (Not 100% it's been a while since I tested this one)

There were color differences between them too.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

It sounds like you are looking at scalers (that do transcoding) instead of pure transcoders.

A transcoder should just change the color space from component to rgb (or rgb to component video) without changing the resolution.

I haven't tried any component to rgb transcoders yet but I have a JROK which converts RGB into component video or NTSC (via Svideo). A decent transcoder should be capable to converting component to rgb or rgb to component with very little noticable loss.

It's going to be hard to judge the quality with a combined scaler / transcoder because you lose a lot of clarity from the scaling process.