Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Time Sleuth Lag Tester
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 pm 

Xyga wrote:
PS: question to the general, do the TS readings vary a few ms with the display's brightness ? (like the LB for instance)

It does! The lower the brightness the lower the lag! I can get it down to 22ms at the lowest brightness setting.

Also interesting and highly unexpected is 24.97ms of lag when displaying 1080i content.

I love this thing. So many unexpected results!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:17 pm 

Oh, the LB is the opposite, at lower brightness it reads a couple more ms.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 am 

Picked up one of these for my brother as a present this year.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-40-c ... 3415654968
Took a gamble that it probably had good input lag based on other Roku based TVs.

It does but, it has a bug in the firmware similar to RTing's review of the 2019 TCL 325 1080p series where Game Mode doesn't engage or disengage properly. If you switch resolutions/inputs or restart the TV with Game Mode enabled then it works and you get 15ms input lag readings. If you go back to the home menu and back into the HDMI input, it returns to non-game mode even though it is enabled. And you will get 30ms of lag instead. 75ms with interlaced resolutions with the bug. Using an HDMI switch and cycling back to your desired input seems to fix it.

Worst case scenario 30ms is still perfectly fine, and 45 with interlaced resolutions is really good (every time I tried to get the bug to appear with interlace resolutions it wasn't repeatable like with progressive resolutions. )

Has anyone else had luck with TVs with CCFL backlights yet though? I still can't get any readings from the two CCFL LCDs I have. I can get the blue like to flash in sync like it's supposed to, but I consistently get like 0.20ms latency readings. Which can't be right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:25 pm 

BONKERS wrote:
Has anyone else had luck with TVs with CCFL backlights yet though? I still can't get any readings from the two CCFL LCDs I have.

Unfortunately, no.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 pm 

For those of you who would like to measure lag but find the price of the timeslueth too high, how about free instead? I have a project that uses a raspberry pi zero to achieve the same thing entirely using software, no soldering required. If you don't already have a raspberry pi the zero model goes for about $5USD.

you can read about it here.

https://alantechreview.blogspot.com/202 ... berry.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm 

xeos wrote:
For those of you who would like to measure lag but find the price of the timeslueth too high, how about free instead? I have a project that uses a raspberry pi zero to achieve the same thing entirely using software, no soldering required. If you don't already have a raspberry pi the zero model goes for about $5USD.

Nice. Not as user friendly as my Time Sleuth, though.

Watch out for rolling shutter. :) Ideally, users will want to mount the pi so it partially blocks the display to photograph the bars and led simultaneously.

Probably better to announce it in its own thread, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm 

orange808 wrote:
xeos wrote:

Nice. Not as user friendly as my Time Sleuth, though.

Watch out for rolling shutter. :) Ideally, users will want to mount the pi so it partially blocks the display to photograph the bars and led simultaneously.

Probably better to announce it in its own thread, though.

For sure my method is more work - it's a question of whether you want to spend $80-100 OR $5-10 and your time. Though, there are some advantages to my approach - since the camera handles exposure you can operate over a wider range of display intensities. Some folks were having issues with the timeslueth being too(?) sensitive.

Rolling shutter is def. an issue - but the back light flicker of most displays allows you to figure out which way your sensor is read out, so you just make sure the pi and the target probe are on the same readout line. I discuss this issue on the "how to use" page for the project.

FYI I don't think the pi can do 240p, but it can output 480i/480p and on up. It might be able to run at >60hz too, though I haven't the display to test that out properly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 pm 

There might be a new TS in the works at some point. I found a new hdmi transmitter that can do 4k30 w/ deepcolor.
We also picked up dev kit to test with. The new TS would also have a ADC built in. This would fix the current "issues" with the time sleuth. It would list display Lag, Black to Full white, and Black to Black.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:48 pm 

citrus3000psi wrote:
There might be a new TS in the works at some point. I found a new hdmi transmitter that can do 4k30 w/ deepcolor.
We also picked up dev kit to test with. The new TS would also have a ADC built in. This would fix the current "issues" with the time sleuth. It would list display Lag, Black to Full white, and Black to Black.

Ah, so the current time slueth uses the same kind of binary threshold that the ossc lag tester mod uses?

Offline Profile