Dead Snes Help. Just a quick question. Thanks!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
90skidJohnny

Dead Snes Help. Just a quick question. Thanks!

Post by 90skidJohnny »

So ive been into a fix it kick lately. Getting junk and repairing it or scavenging for parts. It's fun (or maybe i need a life?) Anywho.

I picked up 2 non working SNES units. Figured I give them a shot.
1st one, - Got it working. Bad fuse. Easy Fix, seems to be working 100%

2nd one.. -- *insert dramatic music* Black Screen of death.
Obviously i have fully taken apart, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Notta. All the caps "Look" ook, grant it i know you cant just go off looks, but nothing bulging or anything like that.

Per my research, its probably the CPU, or PP chips or ram. Yah. nothing I have spares off. Nor do i currently have the right tools to life the CPU off the working one.

SO, before i just rack this up to parts, i did find something odd. I know that if the PP1 PP2 chips go funky, you can bridge them to get various graphical glitches on the screen. If I short some pins on the cpu, I get music.

Doesn't seem to be the correct music for the startup screen, Sometimes I get sound effects from the game, albeit, out of place.

Any ideas? Think its the cpu since a short changes things ? Just curious.
Thanks.
RIP-Felix

Re: Dead Snes Help. Just a quick question. Thanks!

Post by RIP-Felix »

Try hitting reset in 5 second intervals for 1 minute after powering on.

Like you I'm trying to restore a 1-chip SNES (SNS-CUP-1Chip-01) I bought broken off e-bay, for fun and to challenge myself. It's been exhibiting similar behavior - Black screen on PWR on. I performed a full clean, SMD recap, reflow of the 62-pin connector, checked the 1.5A Pico fuse, and replaced the voltage regulator (plus the 470uF cap across the G/O to prevent the vertical bar). No change, same behavior...Then I found that if I hit the reset button multiple times after a bit the game would start up. So my 1-chip does work, it just requires a bunch of resets to get it to start (SYNC?). I'm wondering if that could be a SYNC issue that Voultars RGB bypass amp could fix?

Anyway, what board revision of SNES are you trying to fix (Eg, SNS-CPU-1Chip-01, SNS-CPU-RGB-02, etc.)?