shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good comb filter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:13 pm 

^ Yeah, I personally use the YCS 100 in a chain, not as a stand-alone device... probably pretty meh whilst flying solo

I’ve heard the Crystal Vision RULES - apparently kinda like the Faroudja VP100 but much better and little to no dot crawl

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 pm 

Well I'm using a SD CRT so the OSSC and Koryuu are not the best options. Unless I'm missing something here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 pm 

austin532 wrote:
Well I'm using a SD CRT so the OSSC and Koryuu are not the best options. Unless I'm missing something here?

OSSC is intended for adapting analogue video for flat-panel TVs, and the Koryuu is intended as a companion device for the OSSC, as it can't decode composite or S-Video; so you're right--neither is really intended for use with a CRT.

The one possible use case I can see is if you want to convert RGB to YPbPr for use on a US CRT (we didn't get 15kHz RGB nor SCART here), if set to passthrough and paired with an HDMI to YPbPr component converter; but the RGB2COMP exists and is a bit cheaper if you don't already have an available OSSC that you can use for this application.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:46 pm 

Just to clarify, it's my understanding that the Crystal Vision will add four (or more!) frames of lag. It's essentially a video processor.

Not for gaming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 am 

orange808 wrote:
Just to clarify, it's my understanding that the Crystal Vision will add four (or more!) frames of lag. It's essentially a video processor.

Not for gaming.

Derp, I overlooked the part about it being for gaming, heh. I am also becoming unclear what their ideal output signal is :O

Gotta re-read!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:24 am 

RE: Encoders for gaming -

linuxbot3000 on eBay makes a RGB to CV/YC that is supposed to be quite nice! There is also that ridiculously expensive one by AxunWorks that RetroRGB posted about - far too expensive, IMHO.

Then there is also this (check out the other stuff this guy sells, some neat-ness!):

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

They also made a cute lil' Pi hat that connects to the Pi via a DE-15 VGA-style cable, and outputs via male SCART. It's 'cute' because he wired it to carry audio! Always enjoy seeing custom DE-15 cables that people cram audio into :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
austin532 wrote:

OSSC is intended for adapting analogue video for flat-panel TVs, and the Koryuu is intended as a companion device for the OSSC, as it can't decode composite or S-Video; so you're right--neither is really intended for use with a CRT.

The one possible use case I can see is if you want to convert RGB to YPbPr for use on a US CRT (we didn't get 15kHz RGB nor SCART here), if set to passthrough and paired with an HDMI to YPbPr component converter; but the RGB2COMP exists and is a bit cheaper if you don't already have an available OSSC that you can use for this application.

The Koryuu is just a transcoder, it can be used with a CRT just like an RGB2COMP. I doubt the comb filter in that thing is worth €80 though, especially if playing on a 15 kHz CRT which might already have a decent comb filter.

I'm not sure this is all worth the effort (and money) tbh. Good composite with no dot crawl might as well just be S-Video. The appeal to composite in older consoles is how it blurs some of the harsher graphical effects, but a newer external encoder might retain better luma detail. The encoder linked above uses an AD723, which has a -3 dB luma bandwidth of 4.7 MHz for NTSC. That's probably not going to soften low-res 256/320px wide games, and chroma is the same for composite and S-Video.

I don't know of any high-end comb filters that correctly process 240p without excessive input lag outside of TVs either (not to say they don't exist, just I haven't heard of any).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:58 pm 

ross wrote:
The Koryuu is just a transcoder, it can be used with a CRT just like an RGB2COMP. I doubt the comb filter in that thing is worth €80 though, especially if playing on a 15 kHz CRT which might already have a decent comb filter.

I didn't mention generic use of the Koryuu because it's moot; most CRTs that support YPbPr are also going to support S-Video and composite, and you're not likely to get a better image by decoding those signals with a Koryuu than you would with a direct connection. I can, however, see application where a TV supports composite and YPbPr but not S-Video.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:16 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
ross wrote:

I didn't mention generic use of the Koryuu because it's moot; most CRTs that support YPbPr are also going to support S-Video and composite, and you're not likely to get a better image by decoding those signals with a Koryuu than you would with a direct connection. I can, however, see application where a TV supports composite and YPbPr but not S-Video.

This thread's about finding better ways to decode composite though. If one is using a TV with an inferior comb filter or only a notch filter, they'd see an improvement. I imagine I'd see an improvement on my PVM, not that that's saying much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 am 

orange808 wrote:
I was unimpressed with the Extron YCS 100 for both games and video. The CD 400 looks better with games, but it stinks for video.

The Kramer FC-10DXL doesn't handle 240p properly and the comb filter was no better than the Extron, IMHO.

Didn't like them.

Forgot to elaborate on this weeks back: never tried that FC-10DXL, just thought it looked neat. I WAS already aware the FC-10 and 10D were no bueno tho.

YCS 100 is pretty good for straight up video content over gaming obvi, but that’s also factoring its price versus all those other high end CV -> YC comb filters / TBCs. Good for the ~ price ~

Any other Extron composite <-> svid box should be left alone to collect dust lol

Offline Profile