PGM + Pro Gamer Supergun Black Screen Help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mark_MSX

PGM + Pro Gamer Supergun Black Screen Help

Post by Mark_MSX »

Hey so I was wondering to see if anyone had any experience with a problem I am dealing with? So right now I have finally assembled this whole PGM setup to play Ketsui. Good news is that I have everything working, the power, the controls, the super gun, the sound, but the only part of the setup that is not working is the video.
I know the game is running and it works because I can play the game and hear what's going on in the audio, but I'm not getting any picture.

So the most likely problem is that the Pro Gamer supergun only outputs scart and my crt is North American S-video and composite only. So I purchased a cheap scart to s-video adapter, but I'm still not getting any picture. The thing is, the TV is receiving some kind of signal, because the screen flashes when I plug it in and the channel indicator disappears, but the screen is just black.
Could it be that the adapter I bought is just crappy and broken, or is there something in this process of getting s-video out of a scart output that I am missing?
Here's what I'm working with:

PGM
Ketsui Cart
Pro Gamer Supergun
usb decoder (for controls)
ATX power supply
Passive scart to s-video adapter
Sony trinitron CRT, s video and composite input

Again, I get sound and can hear the game running, but no video.
I checked the contacts on the PGM and they look in good working order.

Thoughts? I just ordered a heavy duty scart to s-video cable.
Fudoh

Re: PGM + Pro Gamer Supergun Black Screen Help

Post by Fudoh »

If the Supergun is RGB only, then it's likely using the original CSYNC coming from the PCB (or PGM in your case). The CSYNC signal does not carry a composite video signal (which you can utilize from many consoles' Scart cables using just a breakout adapter).

In your case, you would need a RGB to composite (or s-video) ENCODER, that really creates a fresh (s-)video signal from the RGB signal it gets.
I just ordered a heavy duty scart to s-video cable.
won't work. That's intended for Scart outputs that actually carry an s-video signal. That's not the case on your setup.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, something like this. Shouldn't add any lag, but it's possible that this requires the higher RGB levels that are available directly from your PCB's jamma edge connector, while your supergun's scart output might carry consumer RGB levels instead, so technically this wouldn't sit after, but before your supergun's RGB output.
Last edited by Fudoh on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully this resolves the issue. My supergun is able to connect to the encoder directly, so fingers crossed that this works.

Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I thought Sony PGMs were 480p only. Are you sure it works with 15khz RGB?

I think it is unlikely to be an rgb voltage issue as they usually manifest as an overly dark or overly bright image.

If it is a sync on composite video comparability issue, a scart to BNC adapter with a built in sync seperator would fix the issue. In my experience with my rgb scart Supergun and arcade monitors, not using a sync strike does manifest as an all black screen with audible sound.

The other problem that caused an all black screen was using those cheap scart to vga cables off eBay as they tend to only work if scart is the output, not the input.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Classicgamer wrote:I thought Sony PGMs were 480p only. Are you sure it works with 15khz RGB?

I think it is unlikely to be an rgb voltage issue as they usually manifest as an overly dark or overly bright image.

If it is a sync on composite video comparability issue, a scart to BNC adapter with a built in sync seperator would fix the issue. In my experience with my rgb scart Supergun and arcade monitors, not using a sync strike does manifest as an all black screen with audible sound.

The other problem that caused an all black screen was using those cheap scart to vga cables off eBay as they tend to only work if scart is the output, not the input.
The board I'm working with is labeled as an "IGS PGM" is that the same thing as a Sony PGM? The only video output on the board seems to be through its Jamma connection, at least I think so. I'm new to this so ya, I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff.

Good news is that I did order a heavy duty scart to s video cable, so if it works or not we can at least rule out that as an issue.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The board I'm working with is labeled as an "IGS PGM" is that the same thing as a Sony PGM?
not related in any way. Sony PGMs are indeed 31khz versions of the classic PVM chassis. Your PGM (Poly Game Master, right?) does of course output standard 15khz RGBs like any Jamma PCB.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

ah, you meant a PGM PCB, not a PGM monitor.

On a 15khz display (assuming it works) the most likely cause of black screen is sync or cable issues. Both easily fixed if that is the problem. Have you tried turning the brightness up to full to make sure there really is nothing getting through?

One other thing... my Supergun will not produce an image if connected through my RGB interface. I'm not sure why. The interface registers the 15khz signal and the Supergun produces and image on both my Ikegami and arcade monitors when connected directly.

I use this adapter and I can recommend it for quality:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-Eur ... SwPhdU47vv