Anyone got a Supaboy? Is it emulation?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Anyone got a Supaboy? Is it emulation?

Post by Classicgamer »

I'm curious to know if anyone here bought one of these portable Super Nintendos? I'd like to know how good they are and if it is just emulation?

Some of the "reviews" on YouTube describe it as "an alternative for those who don't like emulation". I get that it uses real SNES carts but that does not mean it is not emulation. Those who don't like emulation would use real hardware with flash carts over real carts with emulated hardware.
FinalBaton

Re: Anyone got a Supaboy? Is it emulation?

Post by FinalBaton »

It's a Hyperkin product, so I'd bet emulation (emulator's with non-profit licenses used without permission, no less).

I'll investigate
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

no it isn't emulation but clone hardware. apparently it's not as bad as you might expect with the biggest drawbacks being poor screen quality and slightly iffy audio.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I had the first model supaboy and I was really not impressed. The screen they used was not good, giving a picture way too blue, and the buttons were very poor too. It's a great concept though, they just cheapened out too much on the parts I'd say.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

That sucks on the screen. The newer model has a 16:9 screen which makes baby Jesus cry.

I guess it's just like with everything else, if you want it done right.... you need a diy project.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

I can vouch for it being a clone rather than emulation. The SSDS3 works just fine on it - unlike what would with happen with an emulation box like the Retron 5.

I very much regret buying one as I got the first model and it isn't even region free! I was so ticked when I realized it wouldn't play my Australian copy of Terranigma.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yes forgot to specify but it's definitely a clone. In the very early days it had issues running certain games properly too. Also the audio was very poor too but I didn't add that in my earlier post because I remember reading that this was corrected in the next revision (which kind of sucks, to buy a product with flaws that gets corrected right afterwards and no option to trade it in). I also read about the newer models being widescreen which is pretty much the killing blow. If I recall correctly the best version to get is the first or second model of the competitor, I don't remember the name but if I recall correctly it's sort of a Japanese equivalent company who made it. It's all black with the buttons colored in 4 colors like the Super Famicom model. Screen was still 4:3 but I heard picture was a bit better and it was a better clone system with decent audio. Sorry I can't remember the name though.