Is there a good all-in-one PVM?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: Is there a good all-in-one PVM?

Post by fernan1234 »

Are these the rumblings of the end of, as the kids are calling it, the "PVMeme"? I sure hope so, maybe then we'll finally start to see a real reversal in price trends!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

fernan1234 wrote:Are these the rumblings of the end of, as the kids are calling it, the "PVMeme"? I sure hope so, maybe then we'll finally start to see a real reversal in price trends!
First time I hear of the PVMeme. Personally I couldn't care where the prices go as I'd never want to go back to them. I had a hard time getting rid of the pro monitors I had (except for the good BVM which was picked up very fast by a fellow member here).

I haven't seen the prices of pro monitors on ebay go down much, on the other hand this shift away from pro monitors is actually making it more expensive to get good model Sony consumer tv's. Prices on ebay can be outrageous sometimes (hundreds of dollars for a worn consumer tube...). The 20 to 24 inch tv's tend to sell for a lot on ebay, especially the more popular models.

I mean look at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-trinitron ... SwDdlc9Zdz

But then again imo this is still much better value than buying pro monitors (of any kind). Especially since this (FV300) is my consumer crt of choice as well, but what a shift in value for what was essentially free pickups even a few years ago.
asasra

Post by asasra »

Classicgamer wrote:Depending on your budget and taste, there are various options that will do a nice job on 240p and 480p.

The obvious choice, if the goal is to look good for all vintage games, is a tri-sync arcade monitor. Happ and Betson both sell them new still. I have two. They have a pitch that is comparable to a 480i crt tv or a cga arcade monitor. My 25" has a .8" pitch. My 27" has a .9" pitch. The image looks nice in all 3 modes.
hey man

so I've been looking for a reliable trisync monitor, what models are yours exactly?

I'm curious as to how they compare with a toshiba perfect flat (used in sega new net city cabs). People seem to like those toshiba PF, not sure I've ever seen one.
Also keen to know if you know how they perform with an x68000, if you have any idea.

I've looked through the happ and betson websites, I can only come up with the following:
https://na.suzohapp.com/products/monitors/49-2715-00

As for betson, I've looked all around their site including betsonparts.com and there don't seem to be any CRTs on there at all.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If you find a NetTV, they exist in various sizes, and take VGA from the factory for 31k and above resolutions. Furthermore, the Composite and S-video inputs are native 240p, and RGB injection hacking is extremely easy.

Incidentally I'm trying to sell my 37" NetTV since I don't play consoles any more lol
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Someone on Reddit crt collective was offering me yuge a Mitsubishi Megaview. Now I don't have the place for this but if I did I would definitely consider it if I was looking at a multisync. Seems to look even sweeter than the NEC offerings for 240p stuff

Now on my part, I am happy to use a pc crt for my dreamcast and stuff. in addition to a dedicated 240p crt
-FM Synth & Black Metal-