What the Neo Geo mini should have been?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

What the Neo Geo mini should have been?

Post by Classicgamer »

As a huge Neo Geo fan, the mini was a massive disappointment to me. Aside from the poor joystick and poor scaling for the HDMI out, I can not understand why the game selection was so limited... as the system has no SD card slot or web link to add more games, they should have included the whole library. They only have a total of around 150 games...

The mini is currently the only hardware they sell. It's not like they planned to sell the rest of the games. And why so many King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown varients when they are all the same game.

Anyway... just saw this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Bit-Mini-Re ... SwrZBcEKJE

It looks like a Neo Mini but allows you to play arcade CPS1 / CPS2, GBA, SFC etc. it has an SD card to add your own games. Two can be linked for 2-player SF2 and other Capcom arcade games. And, just $60 for one with 520 games from US sellers. Less direct from China or for ones with less built in games.

We're not 100% yet. I'd still like to see one with a 5.7" 320 x 240 LCD. A 3" screen is a bit too small but we are much further down the field than with the Mini...
fernan1234

Re: What the Neo Geo mini should have been?

Post by fernan1234 »

If only this thing had RGB video out it would be a very interesting proposition.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

fernan1234 wrote:If only this thing had RGB video out it would be a very interesting proposition.
Yeah that is annoying. Most of them seem to only offer composite video but at least it's 15khz.

I doubt I would want to plug this into a large screen and use it as my main mame player though. I have a fast PC and an arcade monitor for that. I have my laptop if I need an additional option.

I see the sweet spot with this is playing on the can or on the train etc. or for a quick game while I am waiting for my 3-year-old to finish eating.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

It's been hacked now I'm having alot of fun with it

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
orange808

Post by orange808 »

All the Neo Geo assets were purchased by a pretty big investment company (we're talking billionaires), so things may be looking up. It depends on the management, but the company finally has theoretical access to a large pool of capital. That should provide more flexibility for ambitious projects.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Or they may be looking way down. I'd say historically this kind of purchase leads to severe mismanagement by people who have no idea what they've actually got. :evil:
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

What the Neo Geo Mini should have been to me was a Neo Geo Pocket form factor system.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

When u think they only made 155 games in total...mad
Yes why have they bought this?
The arcade stick looks fun to
Notice the capcom stick £100 in sales with a couple of fun shooters

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Never thought id use the built in screen but it's quality is way better than TV output and looks great, quite fun playing it on exercise bike lol
Shmups on the go!
With portable battery pack!