PVM 14N5E to 14N6E RGB mod, problem... solved

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Oakleaf

PVM 14N5E to 14N6E RGB mod, problem... solved

Post by Oakleaf »

Hi all!
Im trying to convert a PVM 14N5E to accept RGBS. So it becomes a 14N6E.
I have added all the smd stuff on the Q board and all the descrete stuff. i have also added a tactile button on the Q board and corsponding decoupeling cap.

Spoiler! it was the thre 0.1uf caps near the big chip. Mission complete. if someone wants a wrightup i will do so. If not i will do one at assemblergames anyway. have a nice weekend!

This model had A and B composite inputs from the start. So it already have the thre JW stripped and also the decoupeling caps near the RGB connector on the A board are also there.

So this is wath it does:
composite input A works, composite input B works
The toggle switch for RGBS works.
It says RGB no sync, and with a console powred it shows the detected sync and resulotion on the OSD both PAL and NTSC.

But the pictuŕe stays black! sound works tough.

I have tried diffrent consoles and diffrent kinds of sync Luma csync and composite. I have also tried grounding all the scart grounds on all cables before connecting it to my female scart to BNC breakout.

I have also dubblechecked all the service menu inputs.

can anyone give me a hint? I know your the smartest bunch off them all, Im a long time lurker :)

(I think i found the problem, I followed the RGB signals on the A board, and found thre unpopulated caps, no caps no signal, only sync. Will try tonight!)
samspin

Re: PVM 14N5E to 14N6E RGB mod, problem... solved

Post by samspin »

I know it is very late but if you did succeed in doing this mod, is there any way you can post the steps? I've got a 14N5MDE on the way (the medical variant of the 145E that is white-cased, but otherwise identical!) and would like to attempt this.
Oakleaf

Post by Oakleaf »

I did a writeup on assebmler
https://assemblergames.com/threads/sony ... ost-986353

still avaible, but for how long.

Best of luck
santiis2010

Post by santiis2010 »

Oakleaf wrote:Hi all!
Im trying to convert a PVM 14N5E to accept RGBS. So it becomes a 14N6E.
I have added all the smd stuff on the Q board and all the descrete stuff. i have also added a tactile button on the Q board and corsponding decoupeling cap.

Spoiler! it was the thre 0.1uf caps near the big chip. Mission complete. if someone wants a wrightup i will do so. If not i will do one at assemblergames anyway. have a nice weekend!

This model had A and B composite inputs from the start. So it already have the thre JW stripped and also the decoupeling caps near the RGB connector on the A board are also there.

So this is wath it does:
composite input A works, composite input B works
The toggle switch for RGBS works.
It says RGB no sync, and with a console powred it shows the detected sync and resulotion on the OSD both PAL and NTSC.

But the pictuŕe stays black! sound works tough.

I have tried diffrent consoles and diffrent kinds of sync Luma csync and composite. I have also tried grounding all the scart grounds on all cables before connecting it to my female scart to BNC breakout.

I have also dubblechecked all the service menu inputs.

can anyone give me a hint? I know your the smartest bunch off them all, Im a long time lurker :)

(I think i found the problem, I followed the RGB signals on the A board, and found thre unpopulated caps, no caps no signal, only sync. Will try tonight!)
I have a tutorial on Reddit for this model, you were missing the 0.1uf and 25v capacitor on C310, C311 and C312 lol i had the same issue, but fixed with that. Also you will need to add a 75ohm resistors to R, G and B to correct the image. and dont need to add all the Stuff on Q board only the stuff on A Board.

Here its the link to my post https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... _14n5u_to/