Genesis 2 board fractured: scrap or salvage?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
awe444

Genesis 2 board fractured: scrap or salvage?

Post by awe444 »

I picked up a Genesis 2, hooked it up and found that the controller ports didn't work. Looked inside and found a crack in the underside of the board cutting clean across about a dozen of the traces coming from the controller ports. Other than this one crack, the rest of the board is in good shape, no leaking caps, no corrosion.

I've neither the equipment nor skills to repair the 10+ traces myself, so for a working stock console my easiest option is to just buy a replacement system. However, I'm moderately interested in getting extensive work done at some point to whatever unit I do end up owning, including a full recap and triple bypass install, so I'm wondering how much extra time/effort the repair of these traces would bring to an already extensive work order like that? Just curious what others would do in my situation.

lettuce

Re: Genesis 2 board fractured: scrap or salvage?

Post by lettuce »

Would seem a easy fix (by eye) if you have the patients, just follow the traces from the pads to their destination and then solder wires from point A to point B hence bypassing the fracture, it wont look pretty but will get it working again
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I also think it would be a pretty simple fix (pretty obvious where to run jumper wires, easy solder points from the controller port to some vias, controller signals are not super sensitive like a high speed memory lines or analog A/V signals).

But I'm not sure I'd put a lot of money into this board, especially if you're not able to fix upcoming issues yourself. The cost of a full recap and audio & video mods is likely much higher than the prices of another Genesis 2. Would be a shame to spend a lot of money and then have the board fracture further etc.

You could take this board as a learning project and fix it yourself?
awe444

Post by awe444 »

ASDR wrote:Would be a shame to spend a lot of money and then have the board fracture further etc.
This is a really good point, yes. Thanks for your response!
ASDR wrote: You could take this board as a learning project and fix it yourself?
This is also an excellent point, one I hadn't thought of at all. The board could also serve as a practice piece for capacitor replacement, mod work practice or donor parts. Appreciate the suggestion!