How to program l336 learning remote for OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Midge_the_Mouse

How to program l336 learning remote for OSSC

Post by Midge_the_Mouse »

I had to buy the l336 learning remote from eBay because of no stock at VGP
Please don't redirect me here http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... trol_setup I found all of the information totally confusing making little or no sense unless your expert
For example on L336 remote manual all one page entirely fucking useless
Please some one tell me what codes i need and how to program them step by step for OSSC
NoAffinity

Re: How to program l336 learning remote for OSSC

Post by NoAffinity »

Maybe adding a little color and numbering the step-by-step would be helpful. This is going from memory. The last time I set up a remote was 4-5 months ago.

1) Find a suitable manufacturer code on the remote you're using (e.g. from Toshiba, NEC etc.) so that the OSSC's green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed
2) power cycle the OSSC while holding BTN1 on the OSSC's PCB
3) A target function name (e.g. "MENU") will then be displayed on the OSCC's LCD screen. Press the corresponding key on the remote control (the key you want to use for the displayed function). If the OSSC receives the code correctly you will be prompted to confirm the new code. Press the same key again to confirm.
4) Continue to do #3 for every function that displays on the screen. Assign a unique button to each function.

If you want to set the remote to the default button mapping, press BTN0 on the OSSC's PCB when "MENU" is displayed.

I'm not completely sure about the default button mapping process, but that's how I read it on the wiki. Someone please confirm that piece of it.

You can also look at the wiki to see the default mapping: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... emote2.jpg
Midge_the_Mouse

NoAffinity wrote:Maybe adding a little color and numbering the step-by-step would be helpful. This is going from memory. The last time I set up a remote was 4-5 months ago.

1) Find a suitable manufacturer code on the remote you're using (e.g. from Toshiba, NEC etc.) so that the OSSC's green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed
2) power cycle the OSSC while holding BTN1 on the OSSC's PCB
3) A target function name (e.g. "MENU") will then be displayed on the OSCC's LCD screen. Press the corresponding key on the remote control (the key you want to use for the displayed function). If the OSSC receives the code correctly you will be prompted to confirm the new code. Press the same key again to confirm.
4) Continue to do #3 for every function that displays on the screen. Assign a unique button to each function.

If you want to set the remote to the default button mapping, press BTN0 on the OSSC's PCB when "MENU" is displayed.

I'm not completely sure about the default button mapping process, but that's how I read it on the wiki. Someone please confirm that piece of it.

You can also look at the wiki to see the default mapping: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... emote2.jpg
I found a remote that works so that the OSSC's green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed it's the remote that came with XRGB-mini Framemeister

Did a Google search and could not find any info XRGB-mini Framemeister manufacturer remote code?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

One thing you can do with the l336 is that once you find any other remote that works, you can copy each button to the l336 by using its learning function.
There's some combination of buttons you can press on it, and then press a button on the "source remote", and the l336 will learn that for the button of your choice.
Midge_the_Mouse

Sumez wrote:One thing you can do with the l336 is that once you find any other remote that works, you can copy each button to the l336 by using its learning function.
There's some combination of buttons you can press on it, and then press a button on the "source remote", and the l336 will learn that for the button of your choice.
Yeah that's going to be agonizing slow button by button from XRGB-mini Framemeister remote to the l336 learning remote then carrying out steps:

To configure the OSSC for a new infrared remote, find a suitable manufacturer code (e.g. from Toshiba, NEC etc.) so that the OSSC's green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed. Now, power cycle the OSSC while holding BTN1 on the OSSC's PCB. A target function name (e.g. "MENU") will then be displayed on the OSCC's LCD screen. Press the corresponding key on the remote control, if the OSSC receives the code correctly you will be prompted to confirm the new code. Press the same key again to confirm, or BTN0 on the OSSC's PCB to go to the previous key. If you press BTN0 when configuring the first key, the default keymaps will be loaded.

Once all remote control keys/buttons are programmed, the new keymap will be saved and the OSSC will return to normal operation

There must be a easier way then this?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Something called WinLIRC can do it, according the the wiki we aren't allowed to link.
But you'd need an infrared interface for your computer.
I'm thinking an Android phone might be able to do it (again if it has IR) with software that supports lirc scripts.
Midge_the_Mouse

Sumez wrote:Something called WinLIRC can do it, according the the wiki we aren't allowed to link.
I'm thinking an Android phone might be able to do it (again if it has IR) with software that supports lirc scripts.
I don't have one

I have followed all steps below confirming each keys

To configure the OSSC for a new infrared remote, find a suitable manufacturer code (e.g. from Toshiba, NEC etc.) so that the OSSC's green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed. Now, power cycle the OSSC while holding BTN1 on the OSSC's PCB. A target function name (e.g. "MENU") will then be displayed on the OSCC's LCD screen. Press the corresponding key on the remote control, if the OSSC receives the code correctly you will be prompted to confirm the new code. Press the same key again to confirm, or BTN0 on the OSSC's PCB to go to the previous key. If you press BTN0 when configuring the first key, the default keymaps will be loaded.

Once all remote control keys/buttons are programmed, the new keymap will be saved and the OSSC will return to normal operation

and none of keys or command work in OSCC's LCD screen and now my anger levels are now sky rocketing though the roof
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

EDIT:
I finally worked out how remote control keys/buttons are programmed purely by accident keys and command now work in OSCC's LCD screen
So i decided to flash the firmware from 0.81a to0.82a that all went well but no mention of how it wipes out all remote control keys/buttons/programmed
So again i have too program all remote control keys/buttons not funny
Honestly FFS :evil:
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:
Sumez wrote:Something called WinLIRC can do it, according the the wiki we aren't allowed to link.
I don't have one

I have followed all steps below confirming each keys

and none of keys or command work in OSCC's LCD screen and now my anger levels are now sky rocketing though the roof
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

EDIT:
I finally worked out how remote control keys/buttons are programmed purely by accident keys and command now work in OSCC's LCD screen
So i decided to flash the firmware from 0.81a to0.82a that all went well but no mention of how it wipes out all remote control keys/buttons/programmed
So again i have too program all remote control keys/buttons not funny
Honestly FFS :evil:
Yeah. After my first remote died I ordered a replacement from vgp as well as a blank from Amazon. Taught the default OSSC codes to the blank and now that's just a template in case I need to program another.

At the same time I discovered that the default OSSC programming is only to the "TV" set on the remote and not the "SAT" or "DVD". And the chances of reprogramming the "TV" set with my butt is nonzero.
Seems like a weird oversight since the remote to remote transfer system of the L336 automatically copies all 3 sets. So it's just a matter of setting up their template remote a single time to get this working for everyone.
Midge_the_Mouse

It was only by chance the XRGB-mini Framemeister i could clone from or i needed to buy a IR transmitter to use with LIRC software or buy another remote
The hobby is expensive enough without biying more crap i don't really need

So far as VGP goes selling single OSSC units makes no sense too me me when you have search the rest of net other bits needed it's fuckin pain
Would be nice if there was a option to buy as a pack

OSSC main unit (pre flashed with the latest firmware)
Open Source Scan Converter Remote with Control Overlay (pre programmed)
PSU (multi-region)
Micro sd card
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:It was only by chance the XRGB-mini Framemeister i could clone from or i needed to buy a IR transmitter to use with LIRC software or buy another remote

So far as VGP goes selling single OSSC units makes no sense too me me when you have search the rest of net other bits needed it's fuckin pain

PSU (multi-region)
Micro sd card
it makes plenty of sense if you're me who already had an abundance of 5VDC power bricks and use a harmony remote - I don't want to pay extra for that chungchop crap
Midge_the_Mouse

maxtherabbit wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:It was only by chance the XRGB-mini Framemeister i could clone from or i needed to buy a IR transmitter to use with LIRC software or buy another remote

PSU (multi-region)
Micro sd card
it makes plenty of sense if you're me who already had an abundance of 5VDC power bricks and use a harmony remote - I don't want to pay extra for that chungchop crap
You wouldn't have too IF it was a option :mrgreen: