Help Me Pick 2 Candy Cabinets

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thrasherx

Help Me Pick 2 Candy Cabinets

Post by thrasherx »

Looking for a vertical and horizontal setup. Will be running GroovyMame, more than likely as my pockets aren't deep enough for collecting.

My question is, whether the TriSync monitors in the Blast City cabinets + MAME HLSL filters will make 15 kHz games look decent, or if I should go for a 15 kHz only setup. I'm a little unfamiliar with how MAME handles resolutions with CRTEmuDrivers.

The vertical cabinet will be almost exclusively for shmups, and the horizontal for beat-em-ups, and fighters.

Choices are Astro City, Blast City, New Astro City, and New Net City.

Thanks!
NoAffinity

Re: Help Me Pick 2 Candy Cabinets

Post by NoAffinity »

Any of those cabs will be nice. Look for the cleanest and most complete.

I dont have much experience with hlsl but believe the purpose is replicating crt appearance on modern flat screens. So, should be unnecessary on a true crt.

To that end, crt emudriver and groovymame give you pixel perfect native res game play.

I am curious myself, tho - does the VGA input of tri aync monitors accept 15khz, or would there need to be a conversion to rgbs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thrasherx

Re: Help Me Pick 2 Candy Cabinets

Post by thrasherx »

NoAffinity wrote:Any of those cabs will be nice. Look for the cleanest and most complete.

I dont have much experience with hlsl but believe the purpose is replicating crt appearance on modern flat screens. So, should be unnecessary on a true crt.

To that end, crt emudriver and groovymame give you pixel perfect native res game play.

I am curious myself, tho - does the VGA input of tri aync monitors accept 15khz, or would there need to be a conversion to rgbs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I saw a preset for CRTEmuDriver that has all three refresh rates for the trisync. I asked if it's automatically switched by the software, of if there's a hard switch and someone said that the software can switch, but I'd like to verify that.