Problem getting a picture from ps2 to crt tv - strange

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jonesyy

Problem getting a picture from ps2 to crt tv - strange

Post by Jonesyy »

I have two crt's, one is a sony pvm and the other is an average sanyo crt consumer tv.

I currently connect my mega drive and pc engine to either of these tv's via scart cable (scart to bnc for the pvm of course) and have no problems.

I have recently dug out my old playstation 2 that I have not used in years. It powered up fine, I connected it to my sanyo crt via scart, and I get nothing. No picture or sound, nothing. I then connect it to my pvm using the scart to bnc connectors, and although the pvm does recognise something - the text on screen changes from 'no sync' to 'RGB' when I power up the p2 - but still no picture.

So I was thinking ok the ps2 is broken somehow, but just out of curiosity I connected it to my modern lcd tv in my bedroom and it worked fine on that tv!

So basically what I'm asking is why would the ps2 not work on my two crt's but it does work on my modern tv's? Am I missing something obvious here? I used to play the playstation 2 on that same sanyo tv back in the early 2000's so I cannot understand what the problem could be?

I have also recently hooked the megadrive and the pc engine up to both them sets just to confirm that they still work fine with those systems.

Any ideas?
Fudoh

Re: Problem getting a picture from ps2 to crt tv - strange

Post by Fudoh »

PS2 could be set to component in the main menu (instead of RGB). Connect it with a composite video cable (or your working LCD) and and check if it's set to RGB.
Jonesyy

Post by Jonesyy »

Fudoh wrote:PS2 could be set to component in the main menu (instead of RGB). Connect it with a composite video cable (or your working LCD) and and check if it's set to RGB.
Hi. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did try checking that setting and it is set to RGB. I also tried connecting ps2 to sanyo crt just using the three wires without the scart adaptor (that's component I think, right?) and that did not work either.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Hmm, how did you connect to your LCD (on which it worked)?

You're using a proper RGB cable? Using composite (yellow + R/L for audio) with a Scart adapter still gives you composite. If the BNCs on the PVM are for RGB input only (and not composite), then you won't get a picture (unless the sync input is able to handle composite as well). Are the PVM's BNC inputs configured for RGB (instead of component)?
Jonesyy

Post by Jonesyy »

Fudoh wrote:Hmm, how did you connect to your LCD (on which it worked)?

You're using a proper RGB cable? Using composite (yellow + R/L for audio) with a Scart adapter still gives you composite. If the BNCs on the PVM are for RGB input only (and not composite), then you won't get a picture (unless the sync input is able to handle composite as well). Are the PVM's BNC inputs configured for RGB (instead of component)?

Ahhh ok I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I'm just using the standard ps2 av lead with a scart adaptor. But the megadrive and the pc engine are both proper rgb cables....I had a feeling I was missing something simple!

I got the ps2 working on my lcd using the same method, standard ps2 cable to scart adaptor.

The scart to bnc cables were originally bought from my megadrive, so rgb