New Wave 12" SF2 CE arcade cabs. What do you guys think?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

New Wave 12" SF2 CE arcade cabs. What do you guys think?

Post by Classicgamer »

I keep having to stop myself pre-ordering one of these:

https://newwavetoys.com/products/street ... escription

They are fully functional exact replicas of a SF2 CE arcade cab and also includes super turbo. They run arcade roms. None of that Nes version BS you get with MY Arcade 6" cabs. They even come with a seperate mini USB fight stick so you can play 2 player and.... they have online play functionality...

It's a total waste of money but it is totally awesome. I need one... I need it.... no I don't.... yes I do.... no! Stop it!.... you stop it.... arghhhhhh.....
Hoagtech

Re: New Wave 12" SF2 CE arcade cabs. What do you guys think?

Post by Hoagtech »

Classicgamer wrote:I keep having to stop myself pre-ordering one of these:

They are fully functional exact replicas of a SF2 CE arcade cab and also includes super turbo. They run arcade roms. None of that Nes version BS you get with MY Arcade 6" cabs. They even come with a seperate mini USB fight stick so you can play 2 player and.... they have online play functionality...

It's a total waste of money but it is totally awesome. I need one... I need it.... no I don't.... yes I do.... no! Stop it!.... you stop it.... arghhhhhh.....
I would be hesitant. They claim 1:6 scale and include a 3.5” Lcd. The original screen was 25”. The scale itself is off. Red flag #1
Copyright 1987
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Hoagtech wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:I keep having to stop myself pre-ordering one of these:

I would be hesitant. They claim 1:6 scale and include a 3.5” Lcd. The original screen was 25”. The scale itself is off. Red flag #1
Good point. I think the 1/6 might only relate to height. Although, the very first SF2 cabs had 19" monitors but CE and Super Turbo definately had 25".

I think I might have gotten over my initial excitement. At the end of the day $120 is a lot for just 2 emulated games with no SD card slot to add more.

For the same money you can buy a Raspberry pI with one of those empty mini PI cabs off eBay. $120 on a 12" multicade with every arcade, Neo Geo and SNES games I like sounds more appealing.

The 12" SF2 cab certainly looks cool though.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just wanted to add, that I bought quite a few mini cabs from various manufacturers over the past two years and New Wave Toys' units are top notch - much better than all the others. I backed their first two units (Tempest and Centipede) on Kickstarter - very happy with both. I will certainly buy more of them. I was excited to hear about their plans to do a Dragon's Lair machine. Of course these remain toys and you certainly won't play anything on them exceeding a few minutes once you get them, but to know that you got fully functional mini cabs on your shelf is a nice thought in itself.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

I'd love a candy cab one of these :)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Now I want one just to get a picture of my 1 year old pretending to use it.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Now you guys are getting it. I thought it was just me who thought these things were awesome.

I think people who complain about the joystick or screen size are missing the point of these.

Still, I wouldn't mind having a multicade version of the SF2 cab. One of those with an SD card slot to add more games would be super double awesome.

It's a shame they are so limited in choice. I feel like the appeal of these increases if you can buy a bunch and create a full mini arcade. I want a New Zealand Story, a puzzle bobble and a Double Dragon 12"..... oh and I definately want a Daytona version that can be linked to a second cab for 2 player. Oh... and an afterburner one with a functional mini analog flight stick!
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I also bought their Tempest and Centipede machines and am very happy with them.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

DoomsDave wrote:I also bought their Tempest and Centipede machines and am very happy with them.
I like the idea but I couldn't bring myself to buy those games as they are not really my cup of tea. The SF2 cabs are more my thing.

I also ordered a 156 in 1 mini Genesis arcade. I couldn't resist. Plus.... I also ordered a 6" Pac Man arcade.

I figured that for $35 for the Genesis one, if I didn't like it then I could just use it for a Raspberry PI project. It has a nice looking 6-button joystick and a decent screen by most accounts.

I was feeling good about my purchases until I saw this:

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/08/ne ... binet-mod/
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

My Genesis 156 in 1 mini cab arrived and it is fantastic. The joystick feels way nicer than I was expecting. You get nice clicks when you move it around. The screen is decent and games look to be in native resolutions. It even has a marquee that lights up...

Even the game selection is semi decent. There are some missing classics but that is no surprise and many Megadrive classics were only released in Japan. So no New Zealand Story or bubble Bobble but it has a lot of good stuff. E.g. It has Super SF2, Mortal Kombat, Samurai Showdown, Sonic, Streets of rage, Turtles in Time etc.

Not bad for $35. Maybe the first Chinese video game product that I actually like. I'd buy a SNES variant if they made one.