CRT has darkened colors at top of screen, any way to fix?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mark_MSX

CRT has darkened colors at top of screen, any way to fix?

Post by Mark_MSX »

Hi everyone,

So I have what would be otherwise a really nice CRT, but I noticed the top of the screen has dim coloring compared to the rest of the screen. Is there anyway to fix this, especially any sort of methods that could avoid opening the CRT up?

It's not a huge deal if not, but thought it would be wortwhile to see if anyone had any advice.

Cheers,

--Mark
Classicgamer

Re: CRT has darkened colors at top of screen, any way to fix

Post by Classicgamer »

Try degaussing and moving any magnetic sources away from the screen (like speakers).
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Thanks man I have actually tried that, but haven't had any luck. I'll see if I can upload a picture of it soon.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Could just be old or need the brightness turning up.

It's normal for the edges of a CRT to be a little dimmer than the middle but it is usually not noticeable until they get very old.

I dump CRTs with issues these days. They are rarely worth fixing unless you have the expertise to do it yourself (which I don't).

The other common thing people do to fix old CRT monitors is to replace the caps. Capacitors are basically like batteries and they don't last forever. I don't know if that is your issue but a lack of power reaching components certainly sounds like the sort of thing that could manifest as dimness in the image.