Cosensus on fixing the DC's 12V rail after an ODE install?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Cosensus on fixing the DC's 12V rail after an ODE install?

Post by ASDR »

I don't really want to bother with a picoPSU or any of the other PSU replacement options, but if there's something sensible I can do to the existing PSU to reduce the heat and prolong system life, I'd like to give it a shot. I've been reading various opinions on what to do, removing the 12V voltage regulator, adding a resistor to provide a load, and various opinions on why either seems like a bad idea. Has there been some progress on what is the correct fix for the existing PSU?
nmalinoski

Re: Cosensus on fixing the DC's 12V rail after an ODE instal

Post by nmalinoski »

I don't think there's a 100% right way to do it. It all depends on what you're going to want to do with your DC. If you're like me and want to use the original PSU but don't want to modify it, ground the 12V rail with a 1W resistor; if you want to use the original PSU and are okay with modifying it, remove the 12V rail (desolder the regulator? I haven't looked at the instructions in a while); and, if you don't want to do any of that, get a pico PSU, or a DreamPSU if/when those come out.

I think all these approaches are valid, though I expect the pico PSU/Dream PSU approach will be more energy-efficient.
ASDR

Re: Cosensus on fixing the DC's 12V rail after an ODE instal

Post by ASDR »

So I've heard that removing the regulator (I'd be fine with doing that) might destabilize some of the other rails and might have other consequences (IIRC the 12V rail was also used on the multi out and might cause issues for SCART cables that use the voltage supply, maybe like RGC's upcoming DC cable). I don't really want to source a replacement PSU. My goal is only to lower them temperature in the console and hopefully keep the caps happy a few years longer. Guess the easiest method is just attaching a resistor on the output. 300Ohm/1W good?

btw, I never really understood why no load on the 12V rail is such an atypical situation for the PSU. I mean, if the GDROM isn't doing anything, isn't there also no load in a stock DC? Like some turn based strategy game that loads once and then you play for an hour.