PSone Sync on Luma issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Speedy

PSone Sync on Luma issue

Post by Speedy »

I just picked up a (Slim) PSone off eBay and am running into a sync issue on my Sony BVM-D20F1U. I took a video to illustrate the sync issue on the PSone: https://youtu.be/hmrgyi7z5SE

I'm using this Retro-Access Sync on Luma SCART cable: https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... -cord-lead

The same cable works with my (Fat) PS1 which you can see in the video. I would have continued to use my original PS1, but the optical drive no longer works on it.

Does anyone have thoughts on what might be causing this problem? Thanks!
Taiyaki

Re: PSone Sync on Luma issue

Post by Taiyaki »

Weird. I use slim PSOne's too and never had an issue. Is yours modded by any chance?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Speedy wrote:I just picked up a (Slim) PSone off eBay and am running into a sync issue on my Sony BVM-D20F1U. I took a video to illustrate the sync issue on the PSone: https://youtu.be/hmrgyi7z5SE

I'm using this Retro-Access Sync on Luma SCART cable: https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... -cord-lead
First, when you bought that cable, did you go with their recommendation for 1000uF caps, or did you stick to spec and ask for one with 220uF caps, or no caps?

Secondly, have you opened the PSone to check for any botched mods? If not, I recommend you do; it's just four screws.
Speedy wrote:I would have continued to use my original PS1, but the optical drive no longer works on it.
If the drive in the PSone is fine, get one of these, and you can fit the drive from your PSone into your older PlayStation.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yes come to think of it I hadn't thought about the cap rating.

Also wonder why she doesn't provide that explanation on this set of cables with the dongle:
https://retro-access.com/products/sony- ... nded-cable
rama

Post by rama »

This actually seems to be a common PSOne issue:
The AV coupling capacitors often go bad on these boards.
Open up the console and look for 2 x 220uF electrolytic capacitors near the AV port.
Replace both and see if it works then.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Taiyaki wrote:Weird. I use slim PSOne's too and never had an issue. Is yours modded by any chance?
Yep, it's modded with MM3 chip. Purchased it off eBay.
nmalinoski wrote:First, when you bought that cable, did you go with their recommendation for 1000uF caps, or did you stick to spec and ask for one with 220uF caps, or no caps?
It's 1000uF caps. It works great with my PS1, just not the PSone. I ordered it recently from Retro-Access and I think that all
PS cables they ship these days are 1000uf unless you specifically ask for something else.
nmalinoski wrote:Secondly, have you opened the PSone to check for any botched mods? If not, I recommend you do; it's just four screws.
I haven't. I'll do this today, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
nmalinoski wrote:If the drive in the PSone is fine, get one of these, and you can fit the drive from your PSone into your older PlayStation.
That's a good idea, but I primarily picked up the PSone because I wanted an MM3 modded console to play backups. I'll probably switch to a PSIO or an ODE (if one ever exists on the PS1) with my original PS1, but I figured that a $50 modded PSone from eBay was a good step for now.
rama wrote:This actually seems to be a common PSOne issue:
The AV coupling capacitors often go bad on these boards.
Open up the console and look for 2 x 220uF electrolytic capacitors near the AV port.
Replace both and see if it works then.
Great info! I had no idea that this was a common issue. Can you recommend anyone that might be willing to do this for me? I unfortunately have zero soldering skills.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I just opened it up and took a look and below is what I saw. Do you think I should consider this a botched mod?

Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

It's not a botched mod. It's someone didn't know how to replace SMD cap and did something silly with a through hole instead. A recap of the system will likely fix your problem.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Link83

Post by Link83 »

It doesn't look like the neatest install, but I guess its not terrible :?

Whats confusing me is why they have removed C551, which according to the schematics is the 220uF capacitor for composite video. Perhaps C551 failed so they removed and replaced it with a through hole capacitor wrapped in tape(?) so that composite video would work? In which case I expect that C550 for Luma may have also failed as well.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:It's not a botched mod. It's someone didn't know how to replace SMD cap and did something silly with a through hole instead. A recap of the system will likely fix your problem.
@Mobius, do you think that you could go recap and clean up the mod if I sent this to you? Want me to email you?
Link83 wrote:It doesn't look like the neatest install, but I guess its not terrible :?

Whats confusing me is why they have removed C551, which according to the schematics is the 220uF capacitor for composite video. Perhaps C551 failed so they removed and replaced it with a through hole capacitor wrapped in tape(?) so that composite video would work? In which case I expect that C550 for Luma may have also failed as well.
Do you think that the way the C551 caps was replaced could be causing my Luma Sync issue?
So that I can understand better, are there two 220uF caps for the AV port... C550 & C551?
Is one for composite video (C550) and the other for S-Video (C551)?
Thanks!
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Yes I can recap that and even rework the modchip if you want. The cap they replaced is the composite video cap. So it is likely that other caps are also bad. That's why I always do full recaps and none of these 1 or 2 caps replaced jobs.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:Yes I can recap that and even rework the modchip if you want. The cap they replaced is the composite video cap. So it is likely that other caps are also bad. That's why I always do full recaps and none of these 1 or 2 caps replaced jobs.
@mobius, I just sent you an email. Thanks!