Trinitron shutting off and back on

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Professor Jones

Trinitron shutting off and back on

Post by Professor Jones »

Hey,

I have a problem with my Trinitron (model KV-21CLB) : it was previously owned by an old man who passed away, and has been used extensively. It is in excellent shape though and the picture is quite good. I've had it for a month and there was no problem until recently : sometimes it shuts down by itself and I see a fading dot in the center of the screen. After a few seconds it turns back on without me doing anything. It's like the voltage suddenly drops and then comes back at normal levels. What could be causing this ? If it's dying capacitors I was planning to replace all the primary and secondary circuit ones anyway (just waiting for my new soldering station to arrive).
buttersoft

Re: Trinitron shutting off and back on

Post by buttersoft »

Might just be a bad connection somewhere, or a cold solder joint. If the set has a standby mode, leave it in that mode and see if the light goes off? If it does, it'll be the power connections, not HV- or deflection-circuit related.
Professor Jones

Re: Trinitron shutting off and back on

Post by Professor Jones »

Since it happens rarely (thankfully !) it's hard to replicate, but I can tell you that the stand by light is still working when the problem occurs. In fact, it starts blinking to indicate that there is a problem.