Horizontal jitter sync while gameplay Sony Trinitron CRT TVs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Niro starship

Horizontal jitter sync while gameplay Sony Trinitron CRT TVs

Post by Niro starship »

I salute the community. :D

I signed up because I'm an old school gamer, I got most of the retro gaming consoles and I promise to be active and usefull.

I need your attention to the following issue I have, I read on web that this is a common issue.

I’ve been suffering of the horizontal sync jitter issue (horizontal shaking image during gameplay) with all of my CRT tvs sony Trinitrons (kv-21cl10e and kv-21fq10e) for most of my retro consoles, such as snes, super famicom, sega mega drive, sega genesis, wii, neo geo AES, also in a few playstation 1 games (if I remember well).

Here it is:
https://www.hdretrovision.com/jitter

Using later generation consoles like the playstation 2, playstation 3 I won’t have any problem and it is totally jitter free for all of my CRT TVs using as always RGB video cables.
This jitter effect was driving me crazy, I thought, that my consoles were faulty. The brighter the screen is, the more likely it is to notice it easier.
I recently picked up a sega Saturn and a sega dreamcast, unfortunately I haven’t test these consoles yet, but it looks like the jitter horizontal effect shows up when CRT tvs are displaying low resolutions, like the snes 240p resolution, for example.

My neo geo AES on my CRT tv Philips 29’ is working like a charm, it has brilliant and steady picture. The same neo geo AES console on my sony Trinitrons, gets the jitter sync issue.

After some tweaking on my Philips 29’ (29pt9417_12) CRT TV I managed to remove the horizontal jitter effect for snes sfamicom as far as I remember, but only temporarily, I was using the digital options menu like the pixel plus, the movie plus, double lines or 100hz digital scan that Philips has implemented to the Tv’s menu. The jitter effect was coming back after a few seconds for only a moment. Again, the image was not stable.
I suppose it’s a TV compatibility issue, at the end of the day, maybe it all depends on the CRT TV model and maybe I should start looking for used CRT TVs in good condition.
What are your thoughts?

All the following cables are purchased from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

My sega mega drive and sega genesis are unmodded unmodified consoles both model 1 --- > I use the sega mega drive 1 / Genesis 1 RGB scart Packapunch pro cable with stereo sound.

My snes pal console and superfamicom console is RGB bypass modified with the TH-7314 chip installed. There are both 1 chip-01 consoles. My snes pal console is CSYNC modded on pin 3.

I use the super nintendo famicom snes RGB scart cable for NTSC console csync with the resistor on the sync line for both my snes pal and superfamicom consoles.

I read on web that PAL SNES was internally revised 4 or more times during its lifetime. Later consoles used a different video encoder chip and supporting circuitry and 'appear' to work fine with an unmodified PAL Gamecube/NTSC SNES Scart cable (with capacitors).

I had found the following information on my SNSP-001A(FRG) snes PAL model console. Apparently it works with the GC RGB SCART cable. But it mentions that it had resistors inside the GC SCART, however, a GC SCART should have capacitors and not resistors on the RGB lines, so I don't know whether this is a mistake by whoever wrote this.

I had also found this on the Gamesx.com website here.

Here it is another site that that mentions my snes PAL model anomaly.
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1549.0

For the ps1 console I use the playstation RGB scart packapunch pro cable for ps1
For the ps2 console I use playstation RGB scart packapunch pro cable for ps2

For my neo geo AES console I use the SNK neo geo AES stereo RGB AV scart cable lead with composite sync for my Philips CRT tv 29'. Because this cable wasn't compatible with my sony trinitrons and I was getting only pixaled images, therefore I use an original snk AES scart cable for both my CRT sony trinitrons.

For my wii pal console I use the nintendo wii RGB scart cable composite sync CSYNC.

At the hdretrovision wesite the guys suggest to use an intermediary device in between the YPbPr cable and the TV, such as an A/V receiver or a video processor. Maybe with the gscartsw my issues will disappear after all?

Any help will be appreciated.

For your reference, I quoted all my retro gaming video cable I have purchased from the retrogaming cables guys.

Gamecube RGB pal CSYNC takes the sync over composite video signal from pin 9 and then feeds this into an LM1881 (sync separator circuit) to achieve CSYNC.

Super NTSC CSYNC (takes CSYNC direct from the console via pin 3)

Super nes RGB sync on luma (takes sync from pin 7)

Playstation 1 2 3 RGB scart cable sync on luma

Sega mega drive 1 genesis 1RGB Packapunch pro CSYNC (Wired for composite sync)

Playstation 1 RGB Packapunch pro csync Composite Sync (CSYNC) signal achieved using a built in sync separator circuit,

Playstation 2 RGB Packapunch pro csync Wired for Composite Sync (CSYNC).

Sega Saturn RGB packapunch (ntsc/pal) sync on luma

Snk neo geo packapunch AES / CDZ RGB scart cable Wired for CSYNC (composite sync)

Nintendo wii Packapunch pro RGB cable wired for composite sync CSYNC (built in video sync separator)

Nintendo wii RGB scart composite sync CSYNC

Packapunch euro scart male to male (1.5m)