50hz/60hz seemless switching?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Midge_the_Mouse

50hz/60hz seemless switching?

Post by Midge_the_Mouse »

I have a Micomsoft XRGB-Mini Framemeister and it can't handle 50hz/60hz switching from PAL my Atari1040STE without throwing a spastic sycn fit
Is the OSSC any better then doing this or this a better solution because so far my impression of the XRGB-Mini Framemeister is overrated and over-hyped
For amount of cash out layed on the XRGB-Mini Framemeister with shipping costs/import costs and accessories if you need them like psu/remote overlay/leads i'm a very long way from being happy
Thomago

Re: 50hz/60hz seemless switching?

Post by Thomago »

The OSSC switches without delay, so your TV/monitor is the deciding factor. You won't ever get a real seamless switch, but dropouts of only 1-2 seconds are easily achievable.
Midge_the_Mouse

Thomago wrote:The OSSC switches without delay, so your TV/monitor is the deciding factor. You won't ever get a real seamless switch, but dropouts of only 1-2 seconds are easily achievable.
The set have here is a SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED TV/MONITOR PAL 5ms/with SCART/COMPONENT/HDMI/HDMI-DVI inputs
It's been taking direct PAL RGB systems such as MSX2/Acorn Electron/Atari1040STE via SCART without issues
ADD the XRGB-Mini Framemeister into the mix and i'm having no end issues with RGB :evil: Infact it's only ever been good with S-VIDEO inputs from a C64 and 800XL even then with some noise
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

When I lived in the UK as a kid, I had a 50/60hz switch put on all my consoles.

60hz pal is no problem for most semi decent tv's in the UK.

Imo, nothing should ever be played in 50hz unless the game was specifically designed to run at that refresh rate.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:
Thomago wrote:The OSSC switches without delay, so your TV/monitor is the deciding factor. You won't ever get a real seamless switch, but dropouts of only 1-2 seconds are easily achievable.
The set have here is a SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED TV/MONITOR PAL 5ms/with SCART/COMPONENT/HDMI/HDMI-DVI inputs
It's been taking direct PAL RGB systems such as MSX2/Acorn Electron/Atari1040STE via SCART without issues
ADD the XRGB-Mini Framemeister into the mix and i'm having no end issues with RGB :evil: Infact it's only ever been good with S-VIDEO inputs from a C64 and 800XL even then with some noise
Most often, it's HDMI at fault. Analogue video is very unidirectional; CRT TVs simply did what they were told, and could respond instantaneously to changes in input. HDMI devices, however, need time to handshake (exchange information) before initializing video, which makes the technology best suited for devices that don't frequently change video mode.

Ever notice how a PS3 picks a video mode when starting a game, and it stays at that mode the entire time? Many games on native-HDMI internally change their rendering resolution, and then the hardware scales it to 720p/1080p before sending it to the display. It may not be the primary reason for it, but this approach prevents the kind of sync dropouts (apparently called a 'bonk', according to hdmi.org) us OSSC and Framemeister owners have been dealing with for years now.

With that in mind, I think the community would benefit from a scaler that can not only do scaling and/or windowboxing to a user-defined/-selected resolution, but also be capable of framerate conversion to a user-defined/-selected refresh rate, and be capable of continually outputting at its defined video mode, even when it loses sync. This is what the UltraHDMI does. Supposedly, the hardware in the Framemeister is capable of this, but it's not clear why that option/behavior isn't available.

One thing that could absolutely help OSSC and Framemeister users is Quick Media Switching in HDMI 2.1. QMS allows displays to [near-]instantaneously adjust to changes in refresh rate, but not resolution. So, for example, when you have a PS1 running a game that uses 240p for gameplay and 480i for menus, running into an OSSC configured for line2x/4x for those modes (480p/960p effective), switching between those modes will result in no change in output resolution, but the framerates will be slightly different. A QMS-capable display would be able to respond to that framerate change without dropping the signal.

Support for QMS would, however, likely require support on both ends, so you'd need a new TV, and we'd probably need an OSSC 2 that specifically has QMS support (and ideally a slew of other features, like a full framebuffer for proper deinterlacing, non-integer scaling, and framerate conversion).

tl;dr: At the moment, you'll need a CRT for that; modern technology hasn't caught up yet. :roll:
Midge_the_Mouse

I do have a old skool Sony-KV-28WS1U TV nothing wrong with it so far probably wants a good service at some point soon
That's another problem finding anybody who will do repairs or a service almost impossible service manual hard to get without paying for it
My only other option is going down OSSC route if i could could get some data sheets or full specs from Samsung (Iv'e had no joy yet)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

The main reason why hdmi consoles like the PS3 output a consistent resolution is that we now use fixed pixel displays. The PS3 does not select the output resolution automatically. You go into the menu and set the output res to your monitors native res to get the best image.

What the image is rendered at can be different to the display resolution and it is based on the individual game.

The problem with pal consoles is that they start off displaying games incorrectly. Most games are designed for the NTSC system. On pal tv's the image is squashed (with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen) and games run 17.5% slower. The job of a good upscaler is to output an HD image that is as close to the original SD source as possible. This is why it's better to start with a correct source which is 480i / 60hz for most games.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:The PS3 does not select the output resolution automatically. You go into the menu and set the output res to your monitors native res to get the best image.
1. There plenty of PS3 games that don't output at 1080p that will switch the output resolution to 720p on launch.

2. The PS3 isn't exhaustive with its resolution support; the panel I'm using now is 1366x768, but the PS3 only offers 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Certainly not a problem with those with 1080p panels, but can be a problem for those of us with older displays.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

I've been playing around with a Decimator MD-HX (US$300). It can take anything in from HDMI (or SDI), including PAL, and spit a signal of your choosing back out. It can keep a constant signal onscreen and miss practically nothing (including turning one console off and another on).
I'm showing a 16ms delay for progressive scan inputs using a Bodnar tester. Surprisingly, 480i feels just as good (deinterlacing being a throwaway method that makes 480i content look like 240p at the slightest movement).
Limitations I've encountered so far:
It won't play with the OSSC, just the Retrotink2x. Could be my error but this has been a recurring theme for me as I try out hardware.
Also, best I can tell my model will output 1080p but won't input 1080p (maxes out at 1080i).
It sees 240p as 480i.[EDIT: It does not see 240p reliably. I must have been in line double mode.]
Retiming can have a motion blur effect on fast motion.