Should I pick up this Philips CRT based on these pics?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Brad251

Re: Should I pick up this Philips CRT based on these pics?

Post by Brad251 »

I have an update. I checked behind the donation bin at the Salvation Army in my town and found a JVC I'Art AV-24F702 CRT. I loaded this thing in my car, brought it home to test out and it works pretty good. The geometry is decent and there aren't any major picture issues. The picture is a little on the bright side but the two other I'Arts I have owned were the same way. 240p games over component on my Wii look great and I would say the picture on this set is pretty close to my 24" FV300. 240p games look slightly sharper on my FV300 and the FV300 has more accurate colors. Greens on the I'Art sets appear more neon green which can look cool in certain games but it is still overdone. However, I am not sensitive to the flicker on the JVC av-24f702 with 480i content like I am on the FV300. DVDs look fantastic on this JVC set and 480i games look very good as well. The JVC does a better job of displaying 480i games vs my FV300. As I have said, on my FV300, I can see horizontal lines moving up objects when I pass them in 3D games and the av-24f702 doesn't have this problem. This JVC set has an invar shadow mask but I don't really notice it that much on this set. The picture looks very similar to the FV300, even though the FV300 has an aperture grille screen. The 27" I'Art I owned previously from 2003 had an invar shadow mask that was much more noticeable and I really liked it. I'm wondering if maybe on a screen size of 24", it is hard to tell the difference between shadow mask and aperture grille?

One thing on do notice on this I'art set is that when the screen is black, I can see very faint zig zag lines moving down the screen horizontally but I usually only notice it when I first load of a console and the screen is black for a second while the console loads.

Another issue is that the picture over composite on both my FV300 and JVC av-24f702 is slightly blurry to the point where it almost strains my eyes to look at it. Turning up the sharpness to a high setting basically eliminates this but then it introduces ghosting to the image. I have no problems with the sharpness of the picture at all on either set when I run things over component. I'm not sure if this is a problem with these sets in displaying a composite image or if maybe I have forgotten how blurry a composite image actually is? It seems like the picture should be sharper over composite because I grew up playing consoles over composite and I never felt like I had to strain my eyes when viewing the image. I don't think raising the sub-sharpness level would help because the user menu sharpness adjustment makes the picture sharp enough, it just introduces ghosting.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Congratulations, sounds like you found a nice set that meets your needs! :D

Just so that others don't get scared off the FV300 I will just point out that out of the many sets of FV300 I have used (in different sizes including yours) I have not had one that had that interlaced issue you mention, so it's likely either setting related or a hardware anomaly I would guess. Unless it really is a sensitivity matter and I am somehow unaffected by it.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Taiyaki wrote:Congratulations, sounds like you found a nice set that meets your needs! :D

Just so that others don't get scared off the FV300 I will just point out that out of the many sets of FV300 I have used (in different sizes including yours) I have not had one that had that interlaced issue you mention, so it's likely either setting related or a hardware anomaly I would guess. Unless it really is a sensitivity matter and I am somehow unaffected by it.
I'm not trying to scare others off of the FV300. It is just something that I have experienced with my FV300. The FV300 is still a fantastic set for 240p content. I also previously owned a KV-27FV310 where the flicker with 480i content strained my eyes. Because I experienced this on both sets, I don't think it is a hardware anomaly. If there is some setting that affects this, I have no idea what it would be. I have gone through every single setting in the service menu on both my kv-24FV300 and kv-27fv310 and there was no setting that affected the 480i flicker as far as I could tell.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Brad251 wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Congratulations, sounds like you found a nice set that meets your needs! :D

I'm not trying to scare others off of the FV300. It is just something that I have experienced with my FV300. The FV300 is still a fantastic set for 240p content. I also previously owned a KV-27FV310 where the flicker with 480i content strained my eyes. Because I experienced this on both sets, I don't think it is a hardware anomaly. If there is some setting that affects this, I have no idea what it would be. I have gone through every single setting in the service menu on both my kv-24FV300 and kv-27fv310 and there was no setting that affected the 480i flicker as far as I could tell.
Maybe it is a sensitivity thing then. It's strange you didn't experience the same thing on the FS120 because they use the exact same chassis.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Taiyaki wrote:Maybe it is a sensitivity thing then. It's strange you didn't experience the same thing on the FS120 because they use the exact same chassis.
It is strange. I don't know how to explain it. I also didn't experience the sensitivity to flicker on my kv-24fs100.
fuchi_jeg

Post by fuchi_jeg »

I just picked some random games to show. They are all playing in native resolution through hyperspin. The last photo shows the convergence problem in the lower right corner. I have not tried to correct it yet.

Edit: i hate trying to post photos online. Never works. Im off to work, ill try to fix them afterwards.
http://imgur.com/JWxyUSh
http://imgur.com/PUi2mR9
http://imgur.com/RHHZi5y
http://imgur.com/mngqjcl
http://imgur.com/OpYmItM
http://imgur.com/Mjhfuv4
http://imgur.com/TXFRCX4
Last edited by fuchi_jeg on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

That's an attractive picture. You could correct the convergence issue somewhat from the inside although getting it perfect will probably be hard.
fuchi_jeg

Post by fuchi_jeg »

Taiyaki wrote:That's an attractive picture. You could correct the convergence issue somewhat from the inside although getting it perfect will probably be hard.
Yeah, i tried to work on the convergence and geometry of the sony set and didnt have great results. I dont really want to mess around with the philips because it is actually quite nice in the other corners and has relatively straight sides. Sorry about the photos. I havent researched the best settings for crt photography yet, but i may take some better photos with the DSLR.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

fuchi_jeg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:That's an attractive picture. You could correct the convergence issue somewhat from the inside although getting it perfect will probably be hard.
Yeah, i tried to work on the convergence and geometry of the sony set and didnt have great results. I dont really want to mess around with the philips because it is actually quite nice in the other corners and has relatively straight sides. Sorry about the photos. I havent researched the best settings for crt photography yet, but i may take some better photos with the DSLR.
Did you try with permalloy strips? It's much easier than working on the rings imo, although maybe a more experienced person might say otherwise. You have to be careful where you put your hands since there are some dangerous voltages all over, but it works like magic. Takes a lot of trial and error moving those strips since you've moving convergence along with the geometry, you can also stack several of them and sometimes this works very nicely, but best not use too many in one spot or it might end up making things worse in which case it helps to just take them all off and start over.
fuchi_jeg

Post by fuchi_jeg »

Taiyaki wrote:
fuchi_jeg wrote:
Did you try with permalloy strips? It's much easier than working on the rings imo, although maybe a more experienced person might say otherwise. You have to be careful where you put your hands since there are some dangerous voltages all over, but it works like magic. Takes a lot of trial and error moving those strips since you've moving convergence along with the geometry, you can also stack several of them and sometimes this works very nicely, but best not use too many in one spot or it might end up making things worse in which case it helps to just take them all off and start over.
I harvested some magnets from other sets i had laying around and didnt have have much luck fixing corner convergence. I tried the rings and sunk about 4 hours into them before giving up.
MKL

Post by MKL »

Noobs need to understand that rings only adjust the center of the screen, not the corners. :lol: