De-mystifying the Sony BVM — troubleshooting with Savon-Pat

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ALttN

De-mystifying the Sony BVM — troubleshooting with Savon-Pat

Post by ALttN »

I apologize in advance for having to make a topic regarding this, but I feel it’s important especially for posterity. Some information needs to be cleared up regarding how higher resolutions — 480p and up — can be displayed on *compatible* monitors. Let me be clear that I am only referring to multiformat monitors such as the L5 PVMs and the D-Series BVMs.

So I have a D24E1WU. But so far, nothing beyond 480i will display correctly using any input board. The 42HD using an HDMI-to-HDSDI adaptor tested with both a Switch at 720p and a Wii U at 720p and 1080i displayed images that brought the monitor out of sync. They simply won’t work!

After speaking with Savon-Pat, he seemed to think that the problem was with my adaptor for HDSDI. So I decided to buy a new adaptor that came recommended by RetroRGB. Unfortunately, that adaptor yielded the same results.

However, the problem ran deeper than HD resolutions. I then discovered that 480p on a Wii has the same problem as the Wii U and Switch. When changing from 480i to 480p and using YPbPr component, the image behaved in the same manner as the other two consoles. The picture refuses to sync and the monitor emits a terrible screeching noise until it’s switched back.

Now, I actually just got off the phone with Pat; we have been in communication for about a week now as he’s been answering all of my questions about various inputs. He’s been a great help and taught me a lot about my specific setup. For instance, did you know you can display S-Video using a BNC Y-adaptor on the BKM-24N? I bought a service kit for his time because goodness knows I’ve taken away at least 2 hours of his life.

Anyway, we both sat down in front of our respective monitors and tweaked every setting in the service menu so I would be within the same parameters as his D24. Then we discovered: 480p will not sync when over a component signal, only RGsB. He tried hooking up a 480p source and had the same issue I was having; it just refuses to sync. He switched to RGsB and it worked just fine.

I refuse to believe this is the end of the story. I’ve seen others display component 480p and higher on these things without a single issue. But I’ve just stumped Savon-Pat — the god-among-men himself — and now I’ve got a world class monitor that I can only figure to display the same content a 15khz monitor does.

I would like to humbly call upon other BVM owners to explain what is going on. Why won’t this BVM display higher resolutions? I feel like I have to check everything side-by-side with another D24 owner at this point to figure out the culprit. Both Pat and I got the same results using component/internal sync for 480p, so what gives?
Kez

Re: De-mystifying the Sony BVM — troubleshooting with Savon-

Post by Kez »

Well I can't speak to the D24, but I have a D20F1E and 480p, 720p or 1080i all work fine through component.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I use a D24 and have been able to run ED (480p) resolution over component and RGsB as well as various HD resolutions. However, I never even tried using the 42HD card because I hate even the thought of having that fan running all the time. Instead, I use either a 24N or a 21D/20D card, both of which definitely accept ED and HD resolutions over both RGsB and component.

480p should work through component or RGsB by simply switching to internal sync. It should be the same with consoles that output 720p and 1080i over component and/or RGsB like the Wii U and the PS2.

For all consoles that can output through HDMI (Switch, PS3, PS4, Wii U, etc.) I use an HDMI to VGA adapter hooked into an Extron rxi to transform RGBHV into RGsB for the BVM (as long as the output resolution is below 1080p). I also use an Extron DVS unit to downscale 1080p (or upscale 720p) to 1080i or 1280x800. Best results for picture quality, however, are to simply passthrough RGB as long as the console or game can output 1080i.

So my suggestion would be to try to find a way to use analog connections instead of HDSDI. If an Extron setup is not convenient, I'd suggest trying a cheap but well-reviewed HDMI to component converter.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALttN

Post by ALttN »

The Wii was hooked up to the onboard analog RGB/component board directly. No converters or anything, just a regular ol’ YPbPr cable with BNC adaptors. That’s what is most upsetting. I’ve already got the input set to internal sync and YPbPr, but it refuses to display correctly. The image always looks like this:
Spoiler
And just to clarify, 240p and 480i looks flawless. I’ve ran 240p content on the Wii through the cable with zero problems. It’s only when switching the Wii’s output to 480p that the monitor gets bent out of shape.

I’ve thought about going the Extron switcher/VGA route but honestly I’m just tired at this point. All I wanted was to hook up a GameCube and maybe my Wii U but right now it’s proving to be more trouble than it’s worth.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

For what it's worth, I've used 480p RGBS, RGsB and YPbPr on my BVM-D32 without issue.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That doesn't look like a sync problem to me. My bet is that you do need an expansion board to use analog ED/HD resolutions. The onboard input board may not work for that without any of the expansion boards installed.

That said, if you don't want to deal with it anymore I would simply say that you may not be missing on much. My opinion, which goes against what most people seem to think, is that at least on these BVMs anything non-HD looks better on 480i than 480p. So for Wii, GC, PS2 I run everything on 480i after comparing both options when available. And for HD (720p and up) maybe you're better off avoiding the hassle and running that stuff on a flat panel anyway. HD stuff does benefit from larger screens.
For what it's worth, I've used 480p RGBS, RGsB and YPbPr on my BVM-D32 without issue.
Do you have any expansion cards installed on it? I suspect that's what TC is missing.

edit: nevermind, I just remembered the 42HD card also includes an analogue decoder, so that function should be present as well...
ALttN

Post by ALttN »

I’m not really sure what expansion board I would need. I’ve already got a 42HD, 24N and 20D installed alongside the RGB analog input. I’m really just wanting to know what settings, if any, need to be changed in order to display 480p or higher. I understand other folks have it working fine. But I need to know what the discrepancy is between their monitor’s settings and mine.
philexile

Post by philexile »

See how the menu is also scrambled — that isn’t normal. I’ve PMd you.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

How many hours are on the unit and when when it manufactured? Also, post a picture of the backside.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

When I had a D32 after testing all inputs, my best result picture wise was, BVM32 RGB input card on RGB settings ---> Extron 203xi -->HDFury2--> console HDMI 480p and 720p.. no issues there..
The Future Is Now
ALttN

Post by ALttN »

GeneraLight wrote:How many hours are on the unit and when when it manufactured? Also, post a picture of the backside.
There’s approximately 18.5k hours on it. Manufactured in January 2004.
Spoiler
This was taken before I got the monitor. I’ve since removed all those input boards in an attempt to isolate my display’s issue. I also accidentally reset every internal setting so I had to tweak geometry and convergence again.

I have an original Xbox so my next step is going to be to try to run 480p through that console and make sure the issue isn’t with my Wii. Have to find one of those dumb adaptors though...

Again, this isn’t an issue with RGB, adaptors or any of that. This is YPbPr. There’s no Extron or other adaptors involved.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Have you tried hooking up component into the 24N board? I think this one does come with the proper decoder like the 21N board
ALttN

Post by ALttN »

Yes. Component only displays 480i and 240p even on the 24N.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

then you might need the 21N Board. Hi-res component works fine here via the 21N on both the D20 and D32