What's the best RGB to YUV (for CRT's) converter available?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: What's the best RGB to YUV (for CRT's) converter availab

Post by Taiyaki »

Hoagtech wrote:Im confused. How are you able to connect YUV component to only S-video or composite.

Do you have rainbow artifacts and color blending?

When you say original resolution. I assume you mean 240p. Are you getting a progressive image through S-video using the Jrok?
I think he does this because Groovymame can't connect through S-video or composite normally (it's VGA or DVI), so he probably gets a really nice S-video picture but it's better than not being able to connect it at all.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Taiyaki wrote:By the way what does everyone do for the Dreamcast? Retro Access doesn't seem to sell Dreamcast scart cables. I hear some games like Skies of Arcadia won't output video through RGB, still I'm interested in trying RGB on the Dreamcast, it's the only console I never tried it on.
Currently, I use a Behar Bros Toro, connected to my OSSC via SCART; and I use a GDEMU with GDMenu configured to force 480p. I don't play any games that don't do RGB; if I did, I'd run a patched version with RGB enabled.

I have a DCHDMI on order, so I'll be using that in future. I won't be able to ditch the Toro, though, since I'll want to play light gun games on my CRT as well. (Of course, I'll need an RGB->YPbPr converter for that, because I'm in the US and I don't have a PVM/BVM.)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:By the way what does everyone do for the Dreamcast? Retro Access doesn't seem to sell Dreamcast scart cables. I hear some games like Skies of Arcadia won't output video through RGB, still I'm interested in trying RGB on the Dreamcast, it's the only console I never tried it on.
Currently, I use a Behar Bros Toro, connected to my OSSC via SCART; and I use a GDEMU with GDMenu configured to force 480p. I don't play any games that don't do RGB; if I did, I'd run a patched version with RGB enabled.

I have a DCHDMI on order, so I'll be using that in future. I won't be able to ditch the Toro, though, since I'll want to play light gun games on my CRT as well. (Of course, I'll need an RGB->YPbPr converter for that, because I'm in the US and I don't have a PVM/BVM.)
pretty sure the dreamcast lightgun games work on a PC CRT over VGA - just another option
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Is a VGA box required for the Dreamcast to output RGB? There's no way to just send RGB through the video output using a composite video or csync scart cable directly? Since I only use consumer crt's now a days I wouldn't need the benefits provided by VGA.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Taiyaki wrote:Is a VGA box required for the Dreamcast to output RGB? There's no way to just send RGB through the video output using a composite video or csync scart cable directly? Since I only use consumer crt's now a days I wouldn't need the benefits provided by VGA.
Yes and no. Yes, you can get RGBS (clean composite sync) directly from the console using a SCART cable, but you'll be limited to 15kHz (480i/576i); and no, you can't get RGB from the console with a composite video cable connected.

The way the Dreamcast AV port (and the Xbox's, for that matter) works is that the cable you connect to the console determines which video mode and format the console outputs by grounding one or both video mode pins (Xbox has 3). Composite and S-Video AV cables ground one mode pin, which causes the console to output only composite and S-Video, no RGB or clean syncs; SCART cables ground the second mode pin, which causes the console to only output 15kHz RGB, with clean composite and separate syncs available, but no CVBS or YC; and VGA cables ground both mode pins, which causes the console to only output 31kHz RGB, with clean separate sync, but no CVBS, YC, or clean composite sync.

So, when you're buying an RGB solution for the Dreamcast, you want to look for one that has a mode switch, which lets you toggle between 15kHz and 31kHz RGB. I think pretty much every one of these 'VGA' breakout boxes has a mode switch of some kind I'm pretty sure the ones with DE-15/VGA ports on one side and composite/S-Video on the other (Like the Sega originals and the Retrobit ones) won't get you 15kHz RGB under any circumstance; and, of course, the Behar Bros breakout boxes will get you 15kHz RGB, but not composite or S-Video.

You can also find some quality Dreamcast RGB SCART cables with a mode switch and a sync combiner (so you can get both 15kHz and 31kHz RGB over SCART), like those from thefoo.83 on eBay as well as the upcoming Dreamcast SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

nmalinoski wrote:Yes and no. Yes, you can get RGBS (clean composite sync) directly from the console using a SCART cable, but you'll be limited to 15kHz (480i/576i); and no, you can't get RGB from the console with a composite video cable connected.
Thank you, so csync only. Also you said 480i/576i, but wouldn't 240p also work going from a direct csync rgb cable for games that are compatible with 240p?
nmalinoski wrote:The way the Dreamcast AV port (and the Xbox's, for that matter) works is that the cable you connect to the console determines which video mode and format the console outputs by grounding one or both video mode pins (Xbox has 3). Composite and S-Video AV cables ground one mode pin, which causes the console to output only composite and S-Video, no RGB or clean syncs; SCART cables ground the second mode pin, which causes the console to only output 15kHz RGB, with clean composite and separate syncs available, but no CVBS or YC; and VGA cables ground both mode pins, which causes the console to only output 31kHz RGB, with clean separate sync, but no CVBS, YC, or clean composite sync.

So, when you're buying an RGB solution for the Dreamcast, you want to look for one that has a mode switch, which lets you toggle between 15kHz and 31kHz RGB. I think pretty much every one of these 'VGA' breakout boxes has a mode switch of some kind I'm pretty sure the ones with DE-15/VGA ports on one side and composite/S-Video on the other (Like the Sega originals and the Retrobit ones) won't get you 15kHz RGB under any circumstance; and, of course, the Behar Bros breakout boxes will get you 15kHz RGB, but not composite or S-Video.

You can also find some quality Dreamcast RGB SCART cables with a mode switch and a sync combiner (so you can get both 15kHz and 31kHz RGB over SCART), like those from thefoo.83 on eBay as well as the upcoming Dreamcast SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables.
Thank you for the fantastic indepth response. :D I'm going to look into those boxes, or thefoo's/ Retro Gaming Cables's scart cables. Although in reality I probably don't even need the vga side since I'm always on a 15khz crt now a days.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Taiyaki wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Yes and no. Yes, you can get RGBS (clean composite sync) directly from the console using a SCART cable, but you'll be limited to 15kHz (480i/576i); and no, you can't get RGB from the console with a composite video cable connected.
Thank you, so csync only. Also you said 480i/576i, but wouldn't 240p also work going from a direct csync rgb cable for games that are compatible with 240p?
nmalinoski wrote:The way the Dreamcast AV port (and the Xbox's, for that matter) works is that the cable you connect to the console determines which video mode and format the console outputs by grounding one or both video mode pins (Xbox has 3). Composite and S-Video AV cables ground one mode pin, which causes the console to output only composite and S-Video, no RGB or clean syncs; SCART cables ground the second mode pin, which causes the console to only output 15kHz RGB, with clean composite and separate syncs available, but no CVBS or YC; and VGA cables ground both mode pins, which causes the console to only output 31kHz RGB, with clean separate sync, but no CVBS, YC, or clean composite sync.

Thank you for the fantastic indepth response. :D I'm going to look into those boxes, or thefoo's/ Retro Gaming Cables's scart cables. Although in reality I probably don't even need the vga side since I'm always on a 15khz crt now a days.

yes 240p works just fine over RGBS from the dreamcast, but only a handful of games support it

if you truly don't care about 31kHz then you will be just fine with a straight RGBS SCART cable, but be aware the vast majority of the library is going to be limited to interlaced for 15kHz output

honestly if you're only going to be playing on a consumer set using component video, it sounds like you'd be best served by just waiting until the HDRV component cables come out
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Taiyaki wrote:Thank you, so csync only. Also you said 480i/576i, but wouldn't 240p also work going from a direct csync rgb cable for games that are compatible with 240p?
Correct; I meant that you could get 480i/576i maximum, so 240p/288p would still be possible from an RGB SCART cable.
Taiyaki wrote:Thank you for the fantastic indepth response. :D I'm going to look into those boxes, or thefoo's/ Retro Gaming Cables's scart cables. Although in reality I probably don't even need the vga side since I'm always on a 15khz crt now a days.
Personally, I don't think CRTs are going to be maintainable for a lot of people for very long, so I'd still go for something like a Behar Bros Toro, if not the DCHDMI, in order to keep my Dreamcast going; 31kHz RGB looks fantastic through an OSSC, and the DCHDMI will be significantly more portable/compatible with contemporary flat panels.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

maxtherabbit wrote:yes 240p works just fine over RGBS from the dreamcast, but only a handful of games support it

if you truly don't care about 31kHz then you will be just fine with a straight RGBS SCART cable, but be aware the vast majority of the library is going to be limited to interlaced for 15kHz output

honestly if you're only going to be playing on a consumer set using component video, it sounds like you'd be best served by just waiting until the HDRV component cables come out
Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware they were working on a component cable for Dreamcast.
nmalinoski wrote:Personally, I don't think CRTs are going to be maintainable for a lot of people for very long, so I'd still go for something like a Behar Bros Toro, if not the DCHDMI, in order to keep my Dreamcast going; 31kHz RGB looks fantastic through an OSSC, and the DCHDMI will be significantly more portable/compatible with contemporary flat panels.
Yes I can see the point of future proofing things. I might pick one up too eventually.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Is a VGA box required for the Dreamcast to output RGB? There's no way to just send RGB through the video output using a composite video or csync scart cable directly? Since I only use consumer crt's now a days I wouldn't need the benefits provided by VGA.
Yes and no. Yes, you can get RGBS (clean composite sync) directly from the console using a SCART cable, but you'll be limited to 15kHz (480i/576i); and no, you can't get RGB from the console with a composite video cable connected.

The way the Dreamcast AV port (and the Xbox's, for that matter) works is that the cable you connect to the console determines which video mode and format the console outputs by grounding one or both video mode pins (Xbox has 3). Composite and S-Video AV cables ground one mode pin, which causes the console to output only composite and S-Video, no RGB or clean syncs; SCART cables ground the second mode pin, which causes the console to only output 15kHz RGB, with clean composite and separate syncs available, but no CVBS or YC; and VGA cables ground both mode pins, which causes the console to only output 31kHz RGB, with clean separate sync, but no CVBS, YC, or clean composite sync.

My Dreamcast VGA box has a switch to go between 15khz and 31khz too. This makes more sense to me as displays capable of 31khz through scart are not as common.