Which console outputs higher resolution over component?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RetroBVM

Which console outputs higher resolution over component?

Post by RetroBVM »

I red that some consoles output higher resolution video signal over component output the in RGB over Scart? Why is that and what consoles do it?
I think it was the Xbox, Wii (480i compared to 480p) and GC.
Dochartaigh

Re: Which console outputs higher resolution over component?

Post by Dochartaigh »

Usually SCART only lets you transmit standard definition video, meaning 240p or 480i. There are some rare exceptions like the PS2 (maybe others I don't know about) which can do RGsB over SCART (which is kinda abnormal in itself), but consoles like GameCube, OG Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii all need at least Component/YPbPr cables to do 480p+.
lechu

Post by lechu »

Dochartaigh wrote:Usually SCART only lets you transmit standard definition video, meaning 240p or 480i. There are some rare exceptions like the PS2 (maybe others I don't know about) which can do RGsB over SCART (which is kinda abnormal in itself), but consoles like GameCube, OG Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii all need at least Component/YPbPr cables to do 480p+.
The PS2 can do 480p over Scart through CSync with a mod. The Gamecube can also do 480p over scart with GC-Video (as can the Wii). The Dreamcast can also do 480p over Scart via the Toro and the upcoming scart gaming from Retro Gaming Cables. Just saying.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the OG Xbox can also do 480p over scart (using RGsB) with a proper softmod, but I cannot confirm that one.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

lechu wrote:The PS2 can do 480p over Scart through CSync with a mod. The Gamecube can also do 480p over scart with GC-Video (as can the Wii). The Dreamcast can also do 480p over Scart via the Toro and the upcoming scart gaming from Retro Gaming Cables. Just saying.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the OG Xbox can also do 480p over scart (using RGsB) with a proper softmod, but I cannot confirm that one.
If we're talking mods, and installing custom engineered boards, and/or transcoder/converter/upscaler boxes hooked up to the cable then yes, ANY system can then output 480p over SCART - even a Magnavox Odyssey from 1972... ;)

OG Xbox actually needs what's technically a hard mod since you have to bridge some points and run a wire or two, to load a new VGA compatible BIOS onto the motherboard - then it can output RGsG, usually over a VGA cable (or something like the Frozen VGA cable which can be setup to export RGBS as well as RGBHV/VGA).
gray117

Post by gray117 »

In all cases support for 480p is the first step - it's a higher bandwidth... When available it is typically an option and not a default. Why? In most cases it's going to a be a potential connectivity issue. If you can't guarantee your audience has progressive support on component the last thing you want is people to be complaining about is connection issues... If that argument is the prevailing philosophy you may well find sporadic support for it at all if it requires any more work or consideration beyond what is required by the license holder - instead it'll likely be considered a potential bug and grounds for a submission failure if the game has an option that can be accessed in a manner that is unauthorised/specified by the platform holder and could cause connectivity issues

... And component was never a clear specification. It wasn't until *into* the 360/ps3 cycle that progressive and widescreen started to be considered as the standard baseline... Some early games even carrying warnings about requiring widescreen/similar... iirc the pal version of hitman blood money didn't support 60hz or something slightly nutty due to its pal ps2/xbox og roots... If there's anything optional that will risk the stability of a submission or cost money then a developer or a platform holder will likely deny it unless there is a strong audience/competitive demand for it.... It's basically the same reason that American tvs relied on s-video until hdmi - good enough, cheap, simple. And component was a sometimes available halfway house option. When component *could* have become a baseline it was time for an improved single cable solution that the dummies won't plug in wrong :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:There are some rare exceptions like the PS2 (maybe others I don't know about) which can do RGsB over SCART (which is kinda abnormal in itself)...
Putting this a different way, the PS2 is capable of all resolutions over both YPbPr and RGB, except 480p+ RGB is RGsB, as you said, which is not usable over SCART with most consumer equipment, because those devices need that composite sync signal on the sync line, not muxed with green.

Yes, the cables are physically capable of carrying much higher resolutions (1080i from the PS2), but you'd need specialty gear, like an OSSC, Framemeister, or Extron DSC 301 HD to convert it to HDMI, or you'd need something else to convert it from RGBS to something like RGBHV, in order to make it usable with most consumer display equipment.
Dochartaigh wrote:...but consoles like GameCube, OG Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii all need at least Component/YPbPr cables to do 480p+.
If you select AV Multi/SCART for video output, the PS3 is capable of 480p RGB; however, like the PS2, 480p is output in RGsB; so you still have to deal with the RGBS/RGsB switching. You can also configure YPbPr output using the AV Multi/SCART selection, but it, too, will be limited to 480p. (You'd need to use the component/D-Terminal option instead if you want 720p/1080i/1080p.)

Unlike the PS2, though, it won't do 720p/1080i RGsB. (As I understand it; I personally haven't tested 720p/1080i RGB output on the PS2.)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

gray117 wrote:In all cases support for 480p is the first step - it's a higher bandwidth... When available it is typically an option and not a default. Why? In most cases it's going to a be a potential connectivity issue. If you can't guarantee your audience has progressive support on component the last thing you want is people to be complaining about is connection issues... If that argument is the prevailing philosophy you may well find sporadic support for it at all if it requires any more work or consideration beyond what is required by the license holder - instead it'll likely be considered a potential bug and grounds for a submission failure if the game has an option that can be accessed in a manner that is unauthorised/specified by the platform holder and could cause connectivity issues

... And component was never a clear specification. It wasn't until *into* the 360/ps3 cycle that progressive and widescreen started to be considered as the standard baseline... Some early games even carrying warnings about requiring widescreen/similar... iirc the pal version of hitman blood money didn't support 60hz or something slightly nutty due to its pal ps2/xbox og roots... If there's anything optional that will risk the stability of a submission or cost money then a developer or a platform holder will likely deny it unless there is a strong audience/competitive demand for it.... It's basically the same reason that American tvs relied on s-video until hdmi - good enough, cheap, simple. And component was a sometimes available halfway house option. When component *could* have become a baseline it was time for an improved single cable solution that the dummies won't plug in wrong :)
Excellent point. It's easy to forget because this forum is basically all niche users but this stuff is made for the masses and HD took awhile to catch on to the general consumer.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Scart is just a plug type. It can carry any type of analog signal it is wired for. Component video and RGB are color spaces. Nothing to do with resolution. Component and RGB can and are used for both SD and HD signals.

Any limitations are from the console or the display. There were a number of 480i only TVs with component and / or RGB inputs.