Audio switcher needed: one output, TONS of inputs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SamIAm

Audio switcher needed: one output, TONS of inputs

Post by SamIAm »

I just picked up a 32-input / 16-output RGB matrix switch. (This bad boy, to be precise.)

The only problem with it is that it doesn't include audio. Fortunately, at least on the cabling side, audio is quite easy to break out and run to another switcher, and I certainly don't mind an extra button press or two. Since nobody seems to make a switcher exactly like what I need, however, I'm trying to decide on an acceptable alternative.

I do not actually need 32 audio inputs; 20 feels like a safe number, and even 16 would be good enough. Also, I don't need more than one output, since everything is going to a single amplifier.

Here are three possibilities I'm considering. If you have any thoughts or other ideas, please let me know.

1. Buy another pro-grade powered matrix switch

Pros: This would be a simple plug-and-play solution, and the sound quality would surely be nice.

Cons: Any powered switch with 16 or more inputs is probably going to cost a lot. Also, the added power consumption and heat generation is not insignificant.

2. Stack three 8 input / 1 output non-powered mechanical switches behind another mechanical switch I already have.

Pros: Not terribly expensive and consumes no electricity. 24 inputs would be very nice, too.

Cons: These cheap switches are notorious for poor construction. I'd feel stupid if one of them broke or if the sound quality deteriorated. (If anyone has one of these, I'd love to see the internals.)

3. Build my own

Pros: It would be a fun project, for one thing. The parts wouldn't be expensive as long as the final result doesn't have to be beautiful. More importantly, it would be a single non-powered box, the design of which I could control completely. I'm thinking that the main switch could be a 2-pole 24-throw rotary.

Cons: Time-consuming to make, not actually much cheaper than option #2, and hard to say whether I'd really pull it off without a hitch. Also, unless I pick up a few more tools, it would probably look very amateur indeed.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks, guys. :)
Last edited by SamIAm on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dochartaigh

Re: Audio switcher needed: one output, TONS of inputs

Post by Dochartaigh »

SamIAm wrote:Since nobody seems to make a switcher exactly like I need, however, I'm trying to decide on an acceptable alternative.
SamIAm wrote:1. Buy another pro-grade powered matrix switch

Pros: This would be a simple plug-and-play solution, and the sound quality would surely be nice.

Cons: Any powered switch with 16 or more inputs is probably going to cost a lot. Also, the added power consumption and heat generation is not insignificant.
Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 32x32 WITH Audio ("HVA" is the model with audio). Got mine for $130 shipped off eBay:

https://www.extron.com/product/crosspt450plus3232
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I'd probably just hijack some of the video inputs as audio. There's a nonzero chance that will function.

If that fails I'd probably just start humming the music and making my own sound effects.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

As far as top quality consumer audio switchers go, the old DBX switchers/program selector are pretty much the best

Other best route would be to use an extron switcher or matrix and use only it's audio ports. Top quality sound quality and in addition you have individual gain control on the inputs and volume on the output(s). gain is especially nice for say an unmodded Genesis. lower the gain down a bit from unity andhere you go, crystal clear sound on a VA2 Genny

I have an Extron System 8 Plus here(switcher) and it sounds amazing(I used it for my VG OST captures and it has been flawless), it has physical gain knobs instead of menu-based gain adjustment like on the crosspoints matrixes, which I like. I imagine the matrixes sound just as good though. A VGA one will be way slimmer to boot. And I see no reason why an Extron composite video switcher/matrix wouldn't perform as good soundwise. You just gotta check the manual for the model that interests you and make sure it has gain and/or volume(if you care about that. but they're nice, I recommend those functions)
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Dochartaigh wrote: Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 32x32 WITH Audio. Got mine for $130 shipped off eBay if my memory serves:

https://www.extron.com/product/crosspt450plus3232
Two problems:

1. I'm in Japan, so shipping something like that wouldn't make sense unless it was practically free. Domestically, Extron is all but non-existent.

2. The days of fully-loaded 32x32 Extrons going for that kind of price appear to be long over. Even 16x16 can go north of $250 on ebay.
DirkSwizzler wrote:I'd probably just hijack some of the video inputs as audio. There's a nonzero chance that will function.
I looked into using video inputs. In short, while it would probably pass something, it's also likely to badly distort it. Additionally, if I use video inputs, I'd be limiting myself to 16 inputs total, and I'd rather not do that.
If that fails I'd probably just start humming the music and making my own sound effects.
Hey, at least it would keep my wife out of the room!
FinalBaton wrote:As far as top quality consumer audio switchers go, the old DBX switchers/program selector are pretty much the best

Other best route would be to use an extron switcher or matrix and use only it's audio ports. Top quality sound quality and in addition you have gain control on the inputs and volume on the output(s). gain is especially nice for say an unmodded Genesis. lower the gain down a bit from unity andhere you go, crystal clear sound on a VA2 Genny

I have an Extron System 8 Plus here(switcher) and it sounds amazing, I imagine the matrixes sound just as good. A VGA one will be way slimmer to boot. And I see no reason why an Extron composite video switcher/matrix wouldn't perform as good soundwise. You just gotta check the manual for the model that interests you and make sure it has gain and/or volume(if you care about that. but they're nice, I recommend those functions)
Again, I'm in Japan, so I don't have the exact same boxes available to me as most people on this forum do.

There are alternatives, but most of them only have 8-10 inputs. Getting two (or three) of them just seems too extreme to me. Unless I can get one with at least 16 inputs, I'd rather go with a different option.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What is available to you Sam? that'll help us narrow down your options without us shooting in the dark
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Extron MAV Plus 164A audio matrix
16xIN 4xOUT stereo audio. real compact machine, doesn't get much more compact than this for 16 inputs honestly

ships to japan

you can make the seller an offer on this one
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Extron-MAV-Plus ... :rk:1:pf:0
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SamIAm wrote:Two problems:

1. I'm in Japan, so shipping something like that wouldn't make sense unless it was practically free. Domestically, Extron is all but non-existent.

2. The days of fully-loaded 32x32 Extrons going for that kind of price appear to be long over. Even 16x16 can go north of $250 on ebay.
I don't think they're "long over"...I bought mine in March and a buddy bought his ~4 months ago for around $50 more (or something like that...under $200 shipped I know). But totally valid point about Japan - good luck!
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

FinalBaton wrote:What is available to you Sam? that'll help us narrow down your options without us shooting in the dark
I should have mentioned that, sorry. I didn't think people were going to lean so strongly in this direction.

Here are a few I can get locally:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r270485209
7 inputs. About $22 shipped.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p663000793
9 inputs. About $33 shipped.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v604324189
8 inputs. About $23 shipped

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/365474763
10 inputs. About $29 shipped.

EDIT:
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w234490330
8 inputs multiplied by six units in one auction. About $45 shipped.
FinalBaton wrote:Extron MAV Plus 164A audio matrix
16xIN 4xOUT stereo audio. real compact machine, doesn't get much more compact than this for 16 inputs honestly

ships to japan

you can make the seller an offer on this one
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Extron-MAV-Plus ... :rk:1:pf:0
That's not bad. Thanks a lot for the link! I'll keep it in mind.

I've been looking up specific parts for Option #3. If I use a cheap case, I can build a 23 input switch for about $30-$35. A proper project box would boost it to more like $55.

Hmm...
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

A small update.

I went ahead and tried to build my own switchbox. The main switching component is a 2-pole 23-throw rotary switch that looks just like this:

Sad to say, it just wasn't the quality part that I needed. I suppose I got what I paid for, since it was only $13 and the better ones seem to go for more like $50-$100. The problem is, it just won't isolate the input lines all the time, and instead occasionally allows neighboring lines to short to one another. This is particularly true for the bottom layer, which I had wired to left-stereo. To be fair, I did remove the screws holding the whole assembly together so that I could mount the switch, and the bottom layer came off when I did this. However, it also locked back in easily and precisely, and the screws don't give it any leeway to move, so I suspect that I would have had this problem even if I hadn't taken those screws off in the first place.

At this point, I'm inclined to throw in the towel and pay for a powered 16 input matrix switch. If I were to do it all over, I suppose that I would get an array of 2-pole 1-throw switches and wire everything so that the user (who, let's face it, is only ever going to be me) would have to know not to have more than one switch thrown at a time.

So yeah, avoid those cheap rotary switches, is the lesson from this experience.

If anyone is dying to see, I can take pictures of the box I made. It's kind of tacky-looking, but it's fairly sturdy, and it was cheap to put together. I'm definitely not just going to throw it away.