shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Crestron vs Extron?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:15 am 

Thanks to this forum I've bought a swack of Extron gear and have been very happy with them. I've recently outgrown my Extron Crosspoint 12x4 (need more outputs!) and while surfing eBay I ran across this:

Spoiler: show
Quote:

Crestron CEN-RGBHV8X8

I mean DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! I bought it without a second thought ( < $100) and now while I wait for it to ship I'm pondering if there's a reason this unit is barely mentioned on shmups. Is it only because they're typically more money than a similar performing Extron, or is there more?
Is there lag? Does it not handle 15kHz? Is it the hurdle of their automation language? (I've read you can operate this unit by the front panel alone)

I love my Extron, but having a display--and possessing a higher WAF--the Crestron really seems...amazing? Why is no one talking about this? What am I missing? Or are my search abilities really this poor?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Crestron vs Extron?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 am 

You might find this to be interesting reading.

https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ao-11

Where I live, there is this big mother waiting for someone to pull the trigger:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x592947937

I have half a mind to take it since it's so dang cheap (~$30 shipped) and it's got a generous 16x16 inputs and outputs. However, there is ZERO information about it on the internet, and it looks like it might only be controllable with an external unit. It also has no support for audio.

In Japan and the US alike (and I assume Europe as well) there are a few matrix-switch makers, and there might indeed be some scores to be had with lesser-known brands. I'd certainly be interested in a cheap Crestron or Kramer.

PS: Does WAF mean wife acceptance factor?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm 

That Creston/Kramer unit looks like it has the same capabilities, as far as accepted input goes, to your Extron CrossPoint, so you could very well just daisy-chain them for even more inputs. The linked Extron article about Kramer gear not being as good as Extron gear is probably true, but I doubt it'll really be an issue for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:05 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
That Creston/Kramer unit looks like it has the same capabilities, as far as accepted input goes, to your Extron CrossPoint, so you could very well just daisy-chain them for even more inputs. The linked Extron article about Kramer gear not being as good as Extron gear is probably true, but I doubt it'll really be an issue for you.

wait, are Crestron and Kramer the same company? or does Crestron just rebrand Kramer AV gear?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

wait, are Crestron and Kramer the same company? or does Crestron just rebrand Kramer AV gear?

According to the above link to Extron's site, the specific Creston matrix switcher the OP bought (perhaps the entire line? I didn't read too closely) is simply a Kramer unit with a Creston faceplate, not unlike the badge-engineering the auto industry has seen for decades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:02 pm 

SamIAm wrote:
You might find this to be interesting reading.

https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ao-11

PS: Does WAF mean wife acceptance factor?

Thanks for this--and yes, I meant Wife Acceptance Factor. :)

Truthfully I suspected it might be a re-badged Extron, but looking more closeley the back panel doesn't line up.

That article touches on some valid points, though I could stand a bit of excess heat (it's winter here 8 months of the year--currently -40 degrees Celsius).

I'm guessing it will be fine for my purposes. I'll report back when I've run it through its paces.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 pm 

AFAIK, Extron is the only major video gear company that doesn't sell any "turn key" IP, rebadge gear from other companies, or license their IP to other companies.

Of course, that's not always a good thing. Some of my best machines were sold under more than one brand name.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am 

Be aware, Crestron gear usually requires an annoying amount of configuration, and their software is not easy to find. That said, it may be fine if you only intend to use the front buttons. I've only used their control system gear, but please keep us updated on how easy they are to use ;)

I think the reason that Extron is preferred is because they're usually cheaper (Extron is a less expensive brand), and there isn't really much difference between them. Crestron stuff usually costs a fair bit more, and requires you to have a dealer to configure it, which means more money.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:22 am 

Since there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people chiming in here, I'll ask the following:

I need to hold the ESC button every time I turn on the Extron to enable me to route anything. It seems to have some configuration loaded that survives resets and extended power outages. If I don't hold ESC (reset) then there are pre-existing routes at play upon power-up.

I get by, but it would be nice to be able to program a few of the routes...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
I need to hold the ESC button every time I turn on the Extron to enable me to route anything. It seems to have some configuration loaded that survives resets and extended power outages. If I don't hold ESC (reset) then there are pre-existing routes at play upon power-up.

You're talking about an Extron Crosspoint? Look in the manual how to reset it - there's usually 3-ish different levels of reset. If that fails I would reinstall the firmware and start from scratch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:

You're talking about an Extron Crosspoint? Look in the manual how to reset it - there's usually 3-ish different levels of reset. If that fails I would reinstall the firmware and start from scratch.

Well that's just it. The only mention the manual makes of reset is described as below:

Code:
To reset the switcher to the factory default settings, press and hold the Esc buttonon the front panel while AC power is being applied.  Continue to hold the Escbutton until the power up sequence is completed (all LEDs turn off, the Video andAudio LEDs turn on, the Esc LED blinks, and the Power LED (if equipped) turnson).  System reset clears all ties and presets and sets all audio gain levels to unitygain (+0dB).

I can't see any reference to another level of reset. The firmware update procedure seems to require removing the chip. That's waaaay out of my league. :oops:

Edit: Seems I'm not alone, though it doesn't seem like a solution was reached...
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... your_help/

Edit 2: Oh, this manual is different from the one I got off the Extron website. Indeed it details a different reset method. I'll report back...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71903 ... =60#manual

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 am 

No. None of those procedures work. There is a preset where 1 outputs to 1,2,3,4 and unless I power on with ESC held, that is the only routing possible. Tried toggling all 3 (0,1,2) levels of lock to no avail. I wish someone had come back to the reddit thread with the answer... :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:44 am 

From memory there are 2 levels of security on the extron units.
You need to have top level to reset defaults and I think you can only do that via software and pc link.

Offline Profile