Triad Replacement PSU Links

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
copy

Re: Triad Replacement PSU Links

Post by copy »

I was using the Triad WSU090-2000-R on an SNES today, and noticed some waviness in vertical lines. I changed over to the HDR-approved PWR+ supply, and the waviness was gone. I don't have an oscilloscope, but now I'm wondering if the Triad has some excess ripple.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

copy wrote:I was using the Triad WSU090-2000-R on an SNES today, and noticed some waviness in vertical lines. I changed over to the HDR-approved PWR+ supply, and the waviness was gone. I don't have an oscilloscope, but now I'm wondering if the Triad has some excess ripple.
That's really odd. I generally use the Triad's on anything with a Genesis 1-style plug, as there's no adapters needed. So far, I'm not getting any interference on all rev Genesis 1 consoles, Sega CD, Jaguar, Neo Geo...and I think at least one other. I've never used the Triad on SNES though, I stick with either original or PWR+ for those.
copy

Post by copy »

RetroRGB, would you be able to do oscilloscope readings of your Triads? Unless I missed it, it seems like no one has done this yet.

One mod I made to my SNES was to restore the big power-filtering cap that Nintendo normally left off, so my system should be pretty decent at smoothing power. But the Triad is still producing wavy vertical lines. I also compared with an original linear power supply just now, and confirmed no waviness with it either.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I decided to track down the "Power Pax" PSU datasheet for the OSSC and compared it to the Triad I listed. The Triad PSU cuts noise and ripple in HALF compared to the Power Pax PSU.

With regard to the SNES, I've not actually tried one on the SNES, but I seriously doubt the Amazon listing has better noise/ripple levels than the Triad version. Still though, this warrants further investigation for SNES consoles. I will say like retroRGB, I've not had a single issue with other consoles, and I've tested quite a few.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

The WSX090-2500-R has been working fine for my SFC so far. Does reduced noise/ripple in the OSSC's PSU directly affect image quality?
FBX

Post by FBX »

makar1 wrote:The WSX090-2500-R has been working fine for my SFC so far. Does reduced noise/ripple in the OSSC's PSU directly affect image quality?
Probably not since we're going from 200mV to 100mV. It's more a build quality satisfaction for the obsessive compulsive, and the brick part has a nice flat surface on top for custom labeling.

On a side note, PWR+ doesn't post datasheets, so I was unable to find out detailed specs. However, based on the price, I do not believe it is a better built PSU than the Triad.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:I decided to track down the "Power Pax" PSU datasheet for the OSSC and compared it to the Triad I listed. The Triad PSU cuts noise and ripple in HALF compared to the Power Pax PSU.
What's the "Power Pax"? Is that the multi-region PSU that is sold together as an option with the OSSC on VideoGamePerfection or something?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Lawfer wrote:
What's the "Power Pax"? Is that the multi-region PSU that is sold together as an option with the OSSC on VideoGamePerfection or something?
Yeah that's the one.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Yeah that's the one.
So do you advise it to replace it with something better? If so would model/brand would be appropriate?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Lawfer wrote:
So do you advise it to replace it with something better? If so would model/brand would be appropriate?
You don't really need to replace it until it dies. When that happens, just use the one I link to in the OP for the OSSC.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
You don't really need to replace it until it dies. When that happens, just use the one I link to in the OP for the OSSC.
So there's no reason in getting a higher quality one like improvements to the picture?
copy

Post by copy »

FBX wrote:On a side note, PWR+ doesn't post datasheets, so I was unable to find out detailed specs. However, based on the price, I do not believe it is a better built PSU than the Triad.
You don't have to rely on a datasheet for the PWR+. HD Retrovision did their own direct oscilloscope testing on it, and the good results they got are the reason they recommend it. I've heard of no equivalent independent verification of the Triads.
FBX

Post by FBX »

copy wrote: You don't have to rely on a datasheet for the PWR+. HD Retrovision did their own direct oscilloscope testing on it, and the good results they got are the reason they recommend it. I've heard of no equivalent independent verification of the Triads.
Yes I already know this. However, even HD Retrovision will tell you that it's REALLY nice to have actual datasheet documentation from the manufacturer. As such, I want to know the max peak-to-peak ripple/noise rating of PWR+ adapters, and the company simply doesn't post those ratings as far as I can tell. On the Triads, you don't need to test them for ripple because the company already provides those ratings in the datasheet.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Updated the OP with more accurate information on AES console adapter requirements. There was a lot of bad information on the internet that got taken for granted as accurate, and after spending an hour doing more research on the subject, I was able to get a more clear idea of what needs to be looked out for. Even the Neo Geo Dev Wiki has harmful info on it. For example:

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?ti ... S3-3_board

At the bottom of the web page, the site claims the 3-3 exclusively uses the 9V PSU. This is FALSE! My own 3-3 requires a 5V PSU, and using 9V as per that note would have fried my system.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Updated the OP to correct a mistake on the AES consoles that require 9V. I had 2.1mm barrel versions linked there, and just found out the PRO-POW3 uses 2.5mm barrels. I've updated the links, and my apologies for that mistake.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Re-corrected the 9V AC Adapter barrel size for AES consoles. I got two independent verifications that ALL AES consoles use 2.1mm center pins. So that's another fact straightened out. It's tough getting past all the assumed info from various experts to get to the truth, but I want to provide facts, not forum anecdotes.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Anyone have any quality power leads for SAT/PS1/PS2/DC etc? I know these are relatively simple 2 wires, but I'm looking to buy a decent quantity and want something well made and fairly priced.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

So there's no reason in getting a higher quality one like improvements to the picture?
OSSC was designed to work with switch mode power supplies and isn't super sensitive to noise so the Powerpax/Prime Power PSUs we use are a good match and represent good value for money.

I wouldn't sell anything I wouldn't use in my own setup and I stand by that.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

BuckoA51 wrote:
OSSC was designed to work with switch mode power supplies and isn't super sensitive to noise so the Powerpax/Prime Power PSUs we use are a good match and represent good value for money.

I wouldn't sell anything I wouldn't use in my own setup and I stand by that.
That's good to know, does that PSU gets hot though if you leave it plugged in (well I of course turn off the OSSC when I don't use it, but AC Adapter continues to draw power even though unless you unhook them, no?)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Just checked, the OSSC PSU does get hot while in use, FBX do you know if the Triad replacement one gets hot while in use?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Any good replacement PSU for the PS One?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm looking for a replacement for a Kramer FC-14 power supply. My Kramer FC-49 power supply works in the FC-14 as well - that one is a Honor (brand) ADS-18D-12N 12015G model (I bought this new so I assume it's a high quality ps). Kramer manual says "12V DC Power Connector VDC, 80mA".

Looks just like this except for USA style plug. Has that weird collar on the barrel plug itself which can screw onto the Kramer - I don't think that's necessarily needed:

I can measure the barrel if need be, but I don't think my micrometer will fit inside for those dimensions. Totally open to options cheaper than Triad if they'll be quality.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I updated the notes on the NES section as the information I originally researched was bad. I've since obtained an AV Famicom and personally tested my Triad I use on the NES, and it works perfectly. As per the notes, make sure to get the center negative pin version I link to.

-FBX
Link83

Post by Link83 »

FBX wrote:I updated the notes on the NES section as the information I originally researched was bad. I've since obtained an AV Famicom and personally tested my Triad I use on the NES, and it works perfectly. As per the notes, make sure to get the center negative pin version I link to.

-FBX
Hey FBX, great thread but can I possibly just make a suggestion/correction - AFAIK the NES actually uses a 2.5mm DC jack, at least the PAL ones definitely do, and i'm fairly certain the US NES is the same (It would be great if somebody could confirm and measure a US NES and a JPN Famicom/Super Famicom power supply and socket - I even asked about this exact subject many years ago without much response)

I have measured the PAL NES and PAL SNES jacks with digital calipurs (a decade ago Eek!) and they both use 2.5mm jacks. I think a list like this with specific console model numbers might be helpful to avoid confusion? (I updated the links with the 2.5mm Triad adapters)
Spoiler
=================================================

JPN Famicom (HVC-001)
JPN AV Famicom (HVC-101)
JPN Super Famicom (SHVC-001)
JPN Super Famicom Jr (SHVC-101)

Although the OEM power supply is 10V, 9V will suffice since the internal regulator down-converts it to 5V anyway.

North America 9V 2A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3094952

International 9V 2.5A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6165635

USA NES frontloader (NES-001)
USA NES toploader (NES-101)
PAL NES (NESE-001)
PAL SNES (SNSP-001A)

The barrel plugs are technically 2.5mm instead of the more common 2.1mm used on many other consoles. You may find the 2.1mm barrel plugs used on some PSU's have some leeway and will fit, but often the plug will be quite tight and difficult to insert/remove. The power supplies linked below have the correct 2.5mm barrel plugs.

The USA/PAL NES and PAL SNES are designed for AC power, so you can use any DC polarity you like. I choose to go with center-negative as most other consoles require.

North America 9V 2A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6600155

International 9V 2.5A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6600093

USA SNES (SNS-001)
USA SNES Mini/Jr (SNS-101)

Along with the below power supplies you will need a barrel plug converter for the US SNES's unique barrel size:
https://console5.com/store/super-ninten ... cable.html

Although the OEM power supply is 10V, 9V will suffice since the internal regulator down-converts it to 5V anyway.

North America 9V 2A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3094952

International 9V 2.5A, Center-Negative: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6165635

dead_screem

Post by dead_screem »

Anyone have the measurements for the XRGB-2 plus? I know its 12V 1A Center Positive but I don't know the barrel size.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have measured the PAL NES and PAL SNES jacks with digital calipurs (a decade ago Eek!) and they both use 2.5mm jacks. I think a list like this with specific console model numbers might be helpful to avoid confusion? (I updated the links with the 2.5mm Triad adapters)
PAL SNES uses AC rather than DC, using a DC supply /should/ work but can cause other unexpected problems.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Ashura

Post by Ashura »

For Genesis1+Sega CD+32x there’s a setup using a triple adapter/tower of power for all three, but not for Genesis2+SegaCD+32x.

Am I right in thinking that you could do this, but you need a polarity switcher for the SegaCD? (like you need for the 32X in the Genesis 1 setup?)
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Does anyone know the ac adapter spec for the analogue nt? Not the mini or super? It’s come to Christmas and I can’t find my power supply.
EDIT: in case anyone else ever has this question, analogue does not sell a new power supply but was able to tell me that it’s 12V 2A. Does not match the specs of the NES.
Last edited by Galgomite on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

dead_screem wrote:Anyone have the measurements for the XRGB-2 plus? I know its 12V 1A Center Positive but I don't know the barrel size.
Almost certain it is a 2.5mm
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
blackgaard

Post by blackgaard »

Just want to throw another option out there: ifi iPower

Yes, it's a $50 wall-wart, and certainly doesn't look like anything special - but it makes some bold claims of 1uV of ripple by using Active Noise Cancellation (in much the same way it is done with audio, but on power). Snake oil? I thought so too, especially because the word "audiophile" is present. Then I found some tests that show 10.31uV @ 1A, and 12.22uV @ 2A. Am I wrong in thinking this is pretty much unheard of?

I decided to buy one for the purpose of having something on-hand that I can pretty much consider "reference", to eliminate power as a source of noise (hopefully). Sure it's a bit on the pricey side, but I'll also be powering everything that's 9V on it, except of course the thirsty Sega tower... if someone can confirm the Triads are still good, one of those should do for the CD and 32X.