Sega Genesis Model 1/2/3 use TMSS?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
erik343

Sega Genesis Model 1/2/3 use TMSS?

Post by erik343 »

Hello,

I know the Sega Genesis Model 1 has one non-TMSS version and two TMSS versions!

But do the Sega Genesis Model 2 and 3 both utilize TMSS or not?

Thanks.

Erik W.
maxtherabbit

Re: Sega Genesis Model 1/2/3 use TMSS?

Post by maxtherabbit »

They do
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I never understood why people have a problem with TMSS units - seems like the High Definition Graphics 1st versions had the same hardware as the non-TMSS units, right? So the only difference is the second long screen at boot-up?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

How do I remove TMSS from my JVC X'Eye?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:I never understood why people have a problem with TMSS units - seems like the High Definition Graphics 1st versions had the same hardware as the non-TMSS units, right? So the only difference is the second long screen at boot-up?
It's just more silly shit that doesn't really affect anything for people to get worked up over
erik343

Post by erik343 »

thanks for the information!

Do you guys know which model 1 or 2 has worse jail bars?
I also heard there is a way to get rid of the jail bar artifacts with doing some funny business to part of the composite chip.

Or, my friend is going to mod me a triple RGB bypass to get around this.

Thanks.
Erik W.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Dochartaigh wrote:I never understood why people have a problem with TMSS units - seems like the High Definition Graphics 1st versions had the same hardware as the non-TMSS units, right? So the only difference is the second long screen at boot-up?
It's not a big deal, no, but there are several early third-party carts that are entirely locked out by TMSS. The whole purpose of the thing was to fuck over unlicensed devs.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Is there anywhere to source the triple bypass board in UK/Europe?
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

lettuce wrote:Is there anywhere to source the triple bypass board in UK/Europe?
I have a few to move on, you can msg me if you want. I don't think anywhere sells them in UK/EU currently. The only option is insurrection industries but there is high shipping costs + import fees from there to here.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Why should I wait extra time to play my game if I don't have too?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

the Goat wrote:
Why should I wait extra time to play my game if I don't have too?
give your display time to sync up? :lol:
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

maxtherabbit wrote:
It's just more silly shit that doesn't really affect anything for people to get worked up over
Exactly. I never understood either. These days in new games sometimes you boot up to be met with an update, download then install then finally booting up the game, sometimes it can take 10 minutes before you actually get into the game. Back then? A one second screen added to games in later models of the system and gamers are trying to find ways to bypass it... It's just a bit weird.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Taiyaki wrote:Exactly. I never understood either. These days in new games sometimes you boot up to be met with an update, download then install then finally booting up the game, sometimes it can take 10 minutes before you actually get into the game. Back then? A one second screen added to games in later models of the system and gamers are trying to find ways to bypass it... It's just a bit weird.
Why should someone wait longer than another person to play their game? Not to mention less compatibility with unlicensed content.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

GeneraLight wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Exactly. I never understood either. These days in new games sometimes you boot up to be met with an update, download then install then finally booting up the game, sometimes it can take 10 minutes before you actually get into the game. Back then? A one second screen added to games in later models of the system and gamers are trying to find ways to bypass it... It's just a bit weird.
Why should someone wait longer than another person to play their game? Not to mention less compatibility with unlicensed content.
I agree with the principle but the time people spend discussing and seeking non tmss consoles is probably more time than they'd ever waste seeing the tmss screen over the course of their life (which is roughly 1 second per boot up, during which generally you're sitting yourself in position to get ready to play anyway).

Also come on, I challenge you to name one unlicensed game that requires non TMSS worth spending time on. :lol: