ntsc-j ps2 power supply issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
phase3

ntsc-j ps2 power supply issue

Post by phase3 »

went to play on my ntsc-j ps2 today to find that it will not power on. i have tested it with multiple cables, no dice.
it appears that the issue is with the internal power supply.

is it possible to replace the 100v power supply on my ntsc-j unit with a 120v power supply from a spare ntsc unit? will the voltage differential damage the console?
the japanese console is model SCPH-50000, the american one is SCPH-39001.

any assistance is greatly appreciated.
nmalinoski

Re: ntsc-j ps2 power supply issue

Post by nmalinoski »

Generally, all versions of a console will rely on the same DC power specifications, and the PSU is designed to convert the domestic mains power to that DC specification. For example, you can use a PAL GameCube PSU on an Japanese GameCube to power it in 220V regions; or you can swap out a PAL Dreamcast PSU for a North American one to power it in North America.

In your case, I imagine it's as simple as finding a North American PSU from a compatible revision of PS2.
fernan1234

Re: ntsc-j ps2 power supply issue

Post by fernan1234 »

That's a fat PS2 so the PSU is internal, not sure how hard it would be to swap it. The fault could be something else though. I remember on release tons of people imported PS2s from Japan and used them without converters. 100v PSUs usually tolerate the difference of 120v power.

If what you want is to run NTSC-J games another option would be to run them from an HDD on the NTSC console.